Are these illegal in DC? shotgun shell Xmas lights..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    It sounds like since I am just a simple peasant I would probably be made an example of, if caught. A shame.

I should advise Tractor Supply that when they ship these to DC residents they need to go through an FFL.

Did you have to show your HQL to unwrap the gift?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'm pretty sure MPDC has better things to do then arrest people for Christmas lights.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

Maybe, but I can imagine the headlines already . . . Chief Lanier put herself on 5 minutes of administrative leave, but then immediately absolved herself of any wrongdoing after shooting and apprehending a suspect armed with 3" magnum Christmas lights. The suspect - described by the authorities as an over-zealous holiday tree decorator, is recovering from his wounds, but has been charged with multiple felony tree lighting offenses . . . :rolleyes:

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    They would be legal if you had a registered 12 GA though (assuming those are 12 GA shells).

Illegal otherwise, even if you had a 20 GA....

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    It's past Christmas, but we had those this year, homemade.

Just get a string of white Christmas lights and crimp empty plastic shotgun shell hulls over the bulb fixtures.

Takes about 5 minutes a string to make, project cost, $4 a string.

I have no idea if they would get you Christmas in jail in DC.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Not true anymore after July 2012. Now you just have to have at least one registered firearm of any caliber/type to possess ammo.

^^^ This

However, since they are sold as 'Lights' I doubt even if someone were to try to make a problem for you, they would get far.

As far as the man who was facing charges for having spent shell casings, again, he was facing charges [from his x-wife] of brandishing and making threats.. The firearm charges were dropped, however if she is successful in obtaining a protective order, he will have to surrender his firearms for 1-5 years [depending on if he voluntarily accepted the PO or fought it and she was awarded it.]

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My popcorn has been sprinkled with a binary compound made out of explosive Sodium and highly toxic Chlorine.

maybe, DHS and DC police should investigate. :)

The brass lamp in my office was made of recycled 5.56 brass.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    They would be legal if you had a registered 12 GA though (assuming those are 12 GA shells).

Illegal otherwise, even if you had a 20 GA....

Wrong. If you have any registered gun you can have any ammunition, except vest penetration ammunition now illegal in most of the US.

If you have a 20 gauge shotgun registered in DC you can buy, transport and possess virtually any ammunition including .223 556, 30 30, 9mm, .45, 10 or 12 gauge etc.

And DC is not the only place where expended shells are considered ammunition and cannot be owned by persons without a gun registration

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    And DC is not the only place where expended shells are considered ammunition and cannot be owned by persons without a gun registration

What other states would be included in that list? I had a friend in over the weekend and a .223 case managed to sneak its way out of the range and he took it home as a memento. Want to make sure he's not doing anything that could potentially get him in trouble.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    What other states would be included in that list? I had a friend in over the weekend and a .223 case managed to sneak its way out of the range and he took it home as a memento. Want to make sure he's not doing anything that could potentially get him in trouble.

Massachusetts for example. Expended brass has been prosecuted and upheld by higher courts as ammunition there.

This is all bad law but I saw Miller speak where she claimed DC is the only jurisdiction that defines brass or other parts as ammo, and she is wrong.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I'm pretty sure MPDC has better things to do then arrest people for Christmas lights.

This is true, but a potential issue arises if the police come to your house for an unrelated reason. i.e. neighbor calls police because your music is too loud. You have a "less than cordial" attitude with the cop and... guess what happens next.

So I agree, 99% of MPD officers aren't going to go after someone for a spent shell, but it might not be too hard to do something stupid that gets you in trouble.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    This is true, but a potential issue arises if the police come to your house for an unrelated reason. i.e. neighbor calls police because your music is too loud. You have a "less than cordial" attitude with the cop and... guess what happens next.

So I agree, 99% of MPD officers aren't going to go after someone for a spent shell, but it might not be too hard to do something stupid that gets you in trouble.
    Exactly.

Back in the 80's when the little portable televisions came out, DC passed a law prohibiting TVs in the front seat in order to deter people from watching Soul Train and Grizzly Adams while driving. My buddy pulled over a guy a few years back who copped an attitude. Guess who had a brand new, full-sized still in the box television on his front seat? And guess whose mouth got him a ticket for violating the 'no-TV-in-the-front-seat' law?

Best to stay under the radar and keep your moth shut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom