• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I absolutely agree with this. In reality inside of 300 yards 1 - 3 MOA for a single shot, is still a hit on most "targets". That said guns are kind of like cars, no one needs a 10 second 1/4 mile car, millions of people drive and are completely functional with 18 second cars, but it doesnt mean people dont want a faster one =)
    Oh, no question that more accuracy = better, and if you can obtain more accuracy, by all means, get more.

The problem is when you're so invested in the concept that you're not really honest with yourself about what you've got. And, to be fair, this isn't a problem limited to precision shooting... people really kid themselves about the modern viability of older firearms all the time. For example, I know I love the Uzi's iconic looks and reliability (with FMJ), but good luck running that thing competitively at a USPSA match. It's just not as good as modern guns.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    Anyone else have input on BA barrels? Or input on stainless vs chromemoly for a 2-600 yard rifle?

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    This is the culprit!

Between the weather and this pesky job, I'm not sure when I'll get back to the range.

Attachments

• AR10.jpg
      AR10.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 360

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    I did a few edits on there for Lilja and the others, all the way to X-Caliber.

I have my eyes on the X-Caliber custom barrel 18", .30 cal 1:10 5R, .308, mid-length, AR-10 HBAR 1.150 .980 .750GB .750, 5/8"-24, cerakote:black. All for 400, then the Rubber City .308 Match Complete BCG, headspaced to the barrel.

I'm not sure if Lilja will include a headspaced bold for the price of their barrel or not.

I bought a Lilja 6.5CM barrel from them a couple years ago and the price didn't include a bolt. Looks like the price is about the same as it was then.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    How do you like the barrel? What bolt did you go with?

If you go to the Precision Firearms website, you can custom build your barrel and get the matched and headspaced bolt for it at the same time. They cut the barrel to your specs. They have Bartlein, Criterion, and Kreiger barrels for sale, but you may want to call for the Kreiger barrels, since they aren't shown on the website as custom builds.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I’m in the midst of building a DPMS patterned AR10 with the initial goal of 1 MOA to sub MOA at 1000yds. The lower is complete and furnished and I’m at the point where the next step is a barrel, BCG and to finish out the upper.

But, I’m considering ditching the whole 1000yd precision idea and getting a bolt gun for that later down the road.

I’m not sure how I would finish out the AR10 if I do go that route; so who has one, what do you use it for, what’s your setup and what are yours thoughts?

DPMS Oracle AR-10 .308 can be had for $690 - $800 range

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=dpms oracle 308

I got one from Zeroed In Armory, LLC in Texas. $25 shipping

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    How accurate is it? Does it perform well?

It is a ok rifle, if you aren't concerned with sub-MOA without always using match ammo. It'll be a rifle you can use as a truck gun. You want accurate as hell, build it with a high quality barrel and lap the upper receiver face. Oh, it will also accept the Magpul SR-25/DPMS mags.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    So after getting some new parts and realizing I probably should have determined exactly which DPMS pattern AR10 I have, I have concerns.

My upper is a “high profile” DPMS pattern. So it’s a gen 1 correct? If it is, then the barrel I got should be correct because it doesn’t have that weird looking extension on it as the “Gen 2 spec” barrels have. Right? Then I would need a “high profile” rail/barrel nut right?

Are there differences in BCGs? Are there any other differences I need to worried about at this point?

Attachments

• B840E3CC-8ACD-46D2-A1C4-33F7DEDC58DB.jpg
      B840E3CC-8ACD-46D2-A1C4-33F7DEDC58DB.jpg
      109.8 KB · Views: 356
    • 64B38FD8-4F32-45BC-8E0F-DB2F11D828EF.jpg
      64B38FD8-4F32-45BC-8E0F-DB2F11D828EF.jpg
      107.2 KB · Views: 375
    • 2F42AFBF-BF39-4E42-B2ED-886FA9C361EE.jpg
      2F42AFBF-BF39-4E42-B2ED-886FA9C361EE.jpg
      37.7 KB · Views: 333

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a 260 Remington with Shilen match barrel, and pull off subMOA consistently. I have a DPMS lower, gissle trigger, JM true floated barrel handguard, Fulton armory BCG, with the matched shilen bolt, topped with a 6.5-20 Mark 4. With my handloads out of 500 yards on a no wind day, I get 5". Wind is going to be your biggest enemy. For any gun.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    You can get a Black Hole weaponry 22” light profile 1*8 twist 269 Remington. With polygonal rifling you should be approaching 24” speeds. I Have two AR10,s in 308 win and if you go with 175 RDF,s it’s a 1,000 yd rifle. Otherwise I think of it as a 800 yd gun. I wanted more down range capability so I had been looking at a 6.5 mm rifle for a while. I have 4 AR15’s. And two AR 10’s. Five have Black Hole Weaponry Barrels. I hand load a lot and I am not a follower so I did not want to go 6.5 CM. I got barrel just before Christmas and alll the parts for the upper should be here this week. I got Peterson 260 Rem brass and an array of bullets so we are ready to go. Here is the link to where you can get barrels at a ridiculous price.
    https://truesportingarmsllc.com/product/260r-1x8-22-lt-r-5-8-mach/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    You can get a Black Hole weaponry 22” light profile 1*8 twist 269 Remington. With polygonal rifling you should be approaching 24” speeds. I Have two AR10,s in 308 win and if you go with 175 RDF,s it’s a 1,000 yd rifle. Otherwise I think of it as a 800 yd gun. I wanted more down range capability so I had been looking at a 6.5 mm rifle for a while. I have 4 AR15’s. And two AR 10’s. Five have Black Hole Weaponry Barrels. I hand load a lot and I am not a follower so I did not want to go 6.5 CM. I got barrel just before Christmas and alll the parts for the upper should be here this week. I got Peterson 260 Rem brass and an array of bullets so we are ready to go. Here is the link to where you can get barrels at a ridiculous price.
    https://truesportingarmsllc.com/product/260r-1x8-22-lt-r-5-8-mach/

Got my Guntech billet upper and 15” hand guard today. So I painted the barrel with alumahyde and the I baked it at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Then assembled the upper with a Aero V6 brake. Got a new Toolcraft BCG but believe it or not back ordered the forward assist and The Radian LT Ambi charging handle. I am in the process of machining and building an 80% Noreen billet lower. Which I will Cerama coat in FDE and then I have all the parts for lower build with a ALG Defense ACT trigger. Here is the upper on my Aero Lower with a Magpul more rifle stock. The range will be calling. I already have ladders for 129 SST’s , 130 RDF’s , 140 RDF’s and 147 ELD M bullets. Trying both using RL17 and RL26. I will file a range report. Interested to see what kind of velocities I can get out of the Black Hole Weaponry barrel.
    6c081b39a4f5de3ea9f4409cfd17f22e.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have all the parts for one. No clue when it’ll get built. Wife is pissed enough at my gun collection. So it could be years. Aero upper and lower, BCA 18” fluted HBAR barrel, Brownell nitrided BCG, AIM Sport 13.5” free float Handguard. Those are the main bits. I have all the wee bits too.

I’d been planning to put it all together this spring, but she wants me to cut down the collection right now. So it’ll stay pieces till the pressure subsides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom