• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    I'm looking to do a 10.5 build around the basis of pinning and welding a Griffin Armament Spartan 3 can(designed for just this reason) to a 10.5 upper for a 1 stamp gun. The barrel will be a HBAR as it'll be 16.1 inches for a rifle build. I'm wondering if I Should go the piston route or DI with an adjustable gas block and a gemtech or comparable supressor made bcg for this build. Thoughts and advice would be welcome.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    1) AR Piston guns are louder when suppressed
    2) Gas Piston AR's unlock faster than a D.I., this means extraction is more difficult.
    3) Adjustable Gas/Carrier Keys and Carriers are terrible designs. They only bleed off a portion of gas and are terribly inefficient. You want to control gas at the port or gas block. This means adjustable gas (if shooting various loads) or a restricted port (If it's just military spec ammo).

Here is my advice:
    Avoid pinning the Suppressor (Just buy a SBA3 and put it on a pistol lower)
    Buy a Criterion 10.5" with Matched Bolt
    Buy a DSA Sand Cut Carrier
    Buy a Thick walled billet upper (With forward assist)
    Buy a SLR Set Screw Adjustable Gas Block (If you go fixed gas and find out you need a less gas, it's too late if you go the pinned suppressor route)
    Midwest SP Rail (12-15", this will allow the suppressor to ride inside the rail and will limit rail deflection if the rail takes a hit or drop.

Have the Upper Lapped, barrel bedded, and make sure the suppressor is not screwed on with more than 20FT# before pinning.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    2) Gas Piston AR's unlock faster than a D.I., this means extraction is more difficult.
    3) Adjustable Gas/Carrier Keys and Carriers are terrible designs. They only bleed off a portion of gas and are terribly inefficient. You want to control gas at the port or gas block. This means adjustable gas (if shooting various loads) or a restricted port (If it's just military spec ammo).

Here is my advice:
    Buy a SLR Set Screw Adjustable Gas Block (If you go fixed gas and find out you need a less gas, it's too late if you go the pinned suppressor route)
    Midwest SP Rail (12-15", this will allow the suppressor to ride inside the rail and will limit rail deflection if the rail takes a hit or drop.

Have the Upper Lapped, barrel bedded, and make sure the suppressor is not screwed on with more than 20FT# before pinning.

Thank you, I'm pretty well set on doing this as a compact rifle build. I have a pistol with a brace and its just not the same to me. I can't seem to get the length of pull quite right ( i run my sticks all tge way out) and its just not as aesthetically pleasing to me. I will keep all that in mind, as I was leaning towards DI anyway. What does the billet upper offer over a forged as far as benefits?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you, I'm pretty well set on doing this as a compact rifle build. I have a pistol with a brace and its just not the same to me. I can't seem to get the length of pull quite right ( i run my sticks all tge way out) and its just not as aesthetically pleasing to me. I will keep all that in mind, as I was leaning towards DI anyway. What does the billet upper offer over a forged as far as benefits?

The more rigid the upper the better consistently you will get.

Lots of people don't concern themselves with accuracy in a 10.5", but if you want accuracy (you may not in this case) one needs to consider more than the barrel.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD

Here is my advice:

Chad would this parts list work well for a 300Black also? I wouldn't be pinning the can and it would be a pistol build

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad would this parts list work well for a 300Black also? I wouldn't be pinning the can and it would be a pistol build

Yes, but I'm not sure if Criterion makes a .300 barrel. If they do I'm sure it will shoot well.

Just make sure it's pistol gas if they make a barrel.

For .300 the Tubb Flatwire .300 spring is my favorite for .300's that shoot subs, supers, handloads, suppressed, and unsuppressed.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Yes, but I'm not sure if Criterion makes a .300 barrel. If they do I'm sure it will shoot well.

Just make sure it's pistol gas if they make a barrel.

For .300 the Tubb Flatwire .300 spring is my favorite for .300's that shoot subs, supers, handloads, suppressed, and unsuppressed.

Roger that. I'll be in touch once all parts are acquired:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom