• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    I had my 10/22 out this weekend and I noticed that on a few occasions the trigger would not reset.

When this happened I checked the action and the round appeared to have been chambered correctly but the trigger was not reset.

I could fix it by cycling the action where the old round would drop out and the new round put in and the trigger would reset.

Other thing I noticed - on any empty rifle, cycling the action is unusually hard to do on the first go. After that it moves like normal..

I have no idea whats going on -any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    it may need a good cleaning.
    have you stripped it down?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I'm no gunsmith, but my own experience has shown that the bolt and receiver are gunked up. Recycling the bolt and letting it slam forward jars the trigger reset.

Tear down as follows and clean the bolt and receiver ... and the trigger group while you're at it.

P.S. If you're a newbie at this, it isn't hard, but don't disassemble the trigger group. Just wash it out with GunScrubber or equivalent and lube before assembly.

A couple of other helpful YouTubes

There's also quite a few YouTubes on trigger group maintenance once you feel up to it.

Last edited:

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Is this rifle brand new? I had the same problem happen with the Ruger SR-22, it was a defect in the assembly from the Ruger Manufacturing Plant, they assemble the trigger assembly or something else backwards. Ron from Gun Connection took a look recognized the problem and had it fixed in 10 minutes.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes..

PS: Jackson923 - its not brand new, probably about 5-800 rounds through it

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    I did a field strip and it was pretty dirty but the cleaning didn't solve the problem..

the first cycle of the action is unusually hard.

the bolt moved fine with only the charging handle in place without trigger group.

when i reassembled, the bolt was pretty hard to pull back...

I have no idea how the bolt connects to the trigger group but i'm guessing its something in that connection thats causing the added pressure when its reassembled and i'm trying to pull the charging handle.

guess i'll try and tackle that next unless anyone has an idea whats going on..

(calling ruger is in the backpocket.)

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I did a field strip and it was pretty dirty but the cleaning didn't solve the problem..

the first cycle of the action is unusually hard.

I'm thinking its gotta be something w/ the trigger group.

guess i'll try and tackle that next unless anyone has an idea whats going on..

(calling ruger is in the backpocket.)

IF the first cycle is hard, you may have bound up the return spring when reassembling the bolt and receiver. Check that first before tearing into the trigger group.

But, if it was THAT dirty, the trigger group is probably just as bad. Teardown, clean, reassemble, and retry.

Search YouTube for "10/22 trigger". Considering how many Rugers there are, there should be some pretty decent how-to's ...

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    by 'return spring' you mean the spring on the charging handle?

that one functioned fine - i moved normally b4 connection to the trigger group..

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    It's normal for it to be somewhat harder to cycle the bolt when the hammer isn't cocked. After you pull the bolt back the first time the hammer gets locked back, so subsequent pulls on the charging handle will be a little easier.

If you want to test this theory, cycle the bolt, dry fire and then cycle again. It'll be just the same the second time you cycle the bolt.

In case you were wondering, the rear of the bolt is slightly rounded so that as it moves rearward it pushes on the hammer to reset it for the next shot. There is no other "linkage" between the bolt and trigger group.

If the hammer fails to reset, either the bolt isn't fully cycling (weak ammo, dirty chamber, bent spring guide etc, etc) or the sear & disconnector aren't reliably catching the hammer and it is riding the bolt as it closes. In the second instance, the gun is likely to slam fire and discharge multiple rounds in a single burp.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    I really couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was - I think it was the result of installing the tech sights, which I did a few weeks ago. I had to hammer the front sight pretty hard to get it off and I'm wondering if I didn't knock something out of whack in doing so.

It worked right after the 2nd time I took it apart and put it back together.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I've only been using a boresnake..

The boresnakes are no good for anything besides quick range cleaning. I used to use them but a patch and brush works better. I got an Otis kit cuz I didn't want to scratch up the crown with a cleaning rod.

If u have the money get a rubber recoil buffer rod. It's the little bar in the back of the receiver. The metal ones hit jar and caused the same problem in my until I got a rubber one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom