• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I took my Glock 19 to the range today for the first time in quite a while. I intended to re-zero the Viridian laser. I started by shooting at 25 feet using the stock Ameriglo sights, which employ a fiber optic front sight. I used a sand bag for support.

My shots grouped OK, but they were about 6 inches low using a six o'clock hold on the bull. Holding directly on the bull didn't improve things much.

I've been shooting 1911s regularly, so I'm wondering if I need to re-learn the Glock or is there a mismatch in the heights of the front and rear sights?

By the way, I never got around to zeroing the laser.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have someone else shoot the Glock and see if the low POI repeats?

Maybe breaking the wrist downward?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I had the pistol resting firmly on a sand bag, so there was little, if any, movement. Next time out I'll let someone else try it.

Ah, I must've glazed over that in the OP. :o

FWIW, I've had times where I had a bitch of a time getting reacquainted with a particular handgun, for whatever reason. Mostly, it turns out to be I'm overthinking things.

Sometimes (for me anyways), it's best to just walk up to the line fresh, not think about anything, and just run a mag thru and let the shots hit where they hit.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'd been trained to have the top of my front sight at the bottom of the bullseye. With the Glock, I need to cover the bullseye. YMMV.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My Sig is the same way and I hate it.

Well, the front sight center finally fell out so I called Sig to let them know that it was 4" low at 25 feet and they told me that I should cover the bull. I told them that I didn't like that and they said they can send me a taller sight. They sent me (free of charge) the highest sight they had and I still have to aim a bit high as opposed to making a lollipop sight picture. I have not shot a Glock that had the same issue but you may want to look into a different sight height.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    Go back to basics and do a few repetitions of dry fire and make sure your sight picture doesn't change when the trigger breaks. Try balancing a dime on the front sight and make sure it doesn't move or fall off when the trigger breaks. Or its time for a red dot because they're easier to pick up than irons. Especially with people with deteriorating eye sight.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My Beretta 92FS shoots high and right when I first fired it. Maybe it was me...maybe a different loading would help. Right after that I fired my Sig P226...a bit right but ok otherwise...and a much tighter group then the Beretta. It his a sweet shooting pistol. That was with Speer 115 grain FMJ. I have some other brands and loadings to try and see if that might make a difference. At the same outing I fired my Colt Delta Elite 10mm and the first shots were in the x-ring and a much tighter grouping than the others. I do like single-action autos...1911's in particular.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Combat sights. Don't do six o'clock hold. You should be cutting your target in half with the top ledge of your front sight

Attachments

• IMG_2940.PNG
      IMG_2940.PNG
      25.6 KB · Views: 298

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    depending on the model and ammo, I either cut the target or line up the sights and put the dot over the bullseye to hit center. I've gotten used to it, cutting the bullseye is more precice for me than the old 6:00 where you will hit a couple inches above the sight. Shot placement will vary by several factors, and a couple inches off center doesn't really matter as long as your groups are in a consistent spot, slowly shooting small groups on top of a bullseye is pretty much the opposite of combat shooting, and not what the pistol was designed to do.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What kind of ammo are you using? Lighter, faster ammo prints lower, but I don't think it should be that low. My mouse fart 147gr 9mm loads print a little high at normal distances with my OEM Glock night sights. They actually have a perfect 100yd zero.

My friends usually have good results with Ameriglo. I would think that the sight heights are correct, since that's a critical part of the sight.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My Sig is the same way and I hate it.

Well, the front sight center finally fell out so I called Sig to let them know that it was 4" low at 25 feet and they told me that I should cover the bull. I told them that I didn't like that and they said they can send me a taller sight. They sent me (free of charge) the highest sight they had and I still have to aim a bit high as opposed to making a lollipop sight picture. I have not shot a Glock that had the same issue but you may want to look into a different sight height.

You go shorter on front sight if shooting low.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Combat sights. Don't do six o'clock hold. You should be cutting your target in half with the top ledge of your front sight

Isn't that a 6 o'clock hold? If he has Ameriglo fiber optic sights, I would thing the front dot should be covering the target.

OP just have someone else shoot it and see, as long as you know they are proficient with these types of firearms.

Jan 25, 2017
    I took my Glock 19 to the range today for the first time in quite a while. I intended to re-zero the Viridian laser. I started by shooting at 25 feet using the stock Ameriglo sights, which employ a fiber optic front sight. I used a sand bag for support.

My shots grouped OK, but they were about 6 inches low using a six o'clock hold on the bull. Holding directly on the bull didn't improve things much.

I've been shooting 1911s regularly, so I'm wondering if I need to re-learn the Glock or is there a mismatch in the heights of the front and rear sights?

By the way, I never got around to zeroing the laser.

I would recommend having someone else that shoots Glocks most of the time take a few shots with it and see if anything changes (without the laser). Then decide from there whether or not the iron sights might be off. If it's not off, then it's probably getting back into the groove of using the Glocks. Glocks have a different grip angle vs. 1911s, so that may be a factor.

Testing is the only way to find out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That would be a Taller Rear sight.

How did it shoot with the actual stock sights ? ( the OEM , not the 'glows.)

I started out with the idea of wanting a social pistol to hit " dead on " , but eventually learned better . I want my poi to be just barely on top of the front sight , instead of being hidden behind front sight. Allowing for group of up to 1in radius ( 2in dia) , this would be a group center about 1in high @ 25yds.

At 5-10yds the offset can be ignored, and treated as if dead on . For long shots, much easier to get hits out to 50-75yds ( depending on velocity) than with dead on, or especially if hitting low @ 25 .

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    ...they were about 6 inches low using a six o'clock hold.

I'm with Butcher on this. The Glock is strictly a combat piece, which is one reason I personally don't much care for them. You most likely can buy adjustable sights for these guns, but the sights on mine shoot at point of aim...exactly. As some guy quipped at the range, “Where are you going to find a six o'clock hold on a bad guy?"

Three options: 1) file a bit off the front sight; 2) buy adjustable rear sights or 3) hold sights steady on target. The Glock, out of the box, shot right at point of aim and I've never had to change it. If I aim low, I shoot low.

I've got a Ruger Speed-Six that shoots low at point of aim. I did some aggressive filing of the front sight, then shot again. This time it shot right on. If I hold at six o'clock, the Gun shoots low. It's set to shoot right on with lighter bullets. It's got a 3-inch barrel and is one of the sweetest guns I have. When it shoots heavier, slow bullets, it shoots low and left. I have to just aim at the upper right part of the target. My dad grew up in the country at a time few people could afford owning more than one gun. He had an old Remington 34 and could drive tacks with it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    How sights are regulated truly is personal preference based on working know. Way back I asked one high power shooter what was the best way to use peep sights - adjust the sights to center the bullseye at each distance or center the front sight post. I knew of shooters using both. His reply was, "That is one of the great mysteries of life".

I prefer shot groups to be just above the front post as well. That is where I regulate my fixed sight guns for a given load, about and inch to 1.5" at 25 yards.

Cutting my shooting teeth in the bullseye arena and using that adjustment for years I automatically adjust to it at different distances when using adjustable target type sights. From what I have experienced, if the shooter knows it trajectory, it is probably one of the best adjustments out there for a few good reasons.

Magnum guns are a little different adjustment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom