• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Several months ago I bought an ATI 1911 with the GSG .22 caliber conversion slide and magazines. I've only used it as a .45 and once I polished the feed ramp it performed with no failures.

A couple of days ago after bringing it back from the range and cleaning it, I decided to set it up as a .22 for the next time out. Simple process, right?

Well, no. The .22 slide mounts on the frame easily, but it will not slide all the way into position to put in the slide retainer pin. The guide rod seems to be hitting something.

I've read that it might take a little force and a good bit of grease the first few times (No smart comments, please. I'm talking about a firearm slide and frame:innocent0).

Does anyone have experience with this and suggestions about just how aggressive I need to be?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Remove the guide rod and barrel from the slide assembly. Install the slide on the frame and check for full range of movement for proper operation. If it installs, the issue is mostly likely with the guide rod or barrel.
    Then install just the barrel in the frame. Try to install the slide stop. If slide stop installation is inhibited it may well be the lower barrel lug is too deep. Looking through the side of the frame the barrel slide stop pin hole will be higher than the corresponding hole in the frame. If by just a tiniest margin you can file a flat on the bottom of a different slide stop pin.
    If the barrel alone passes the test try to install the barrel and slide together. If that doesn't work the top of the barrel should be relieved.
    If everything works okay until you install the guide rod then that will need to be examined until the points of interference are found and corrected.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    always a good idea. :D

Was that the solution? I have the 22lr conversions for a few pistols. I cant recall if it was my 1911 version, but one time went nuts trying to figure out the exact problem you describe, and it was because a mag was inserted.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a few of them and still had what I thought was too much resistance. Finally I simply slid the slide onto the frame and pushed firmly on the barrel bushing with my left hand while holding the grip with my right hand. The resistance eased up slightly then everything went into place smoothly. The slide now moves easily and everything else functions as it should. I suspect the next field strip will be a little tight, but will ease up with time.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Was that the solution? I have the 22lr conversions for a few pistols. I cant recall if it was my 1911 version, but one time went nuts trying to figure out the exact problem you describe, and it was because a mag was inserted.

It wasn't the mag. I think it was simply brand new and required a little more elbow grease than I wanted to apply at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom