• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    This is an interesting analysis of what looks like declining support for gun control in the USA. Even better, the prediction is that support is not likely to turn around substantially.

That doesn't mean the issue won't cause a major fight between the two major political parties, but it's just not that important to the average American.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/reasons-decline-support-gun-control-n440101

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    This article raises a good point. Other than VERY democratic states, gun control is a non-issue. Clinton has said many times that the AW ban under his administration was a big political mistake. I'm just glad to see that his predecessors aren't afraid of making the same mistake. If the democrats make this election about guns, they will not be able to win the south, Midwest, and north west. But let them shoot themselves in the foot in the process, I don't care.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Was watching the news last night and they were talking about the college/school shootings and how many schools are gun free zones which includes the campus police. It appears that many schools around the country are going to reconsider their positions on keeping guns off campus.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Was watching the news last night and they were talking about the college/school shootings and how many schools are gun free zones which includes the campus police. It appears that many schools around the country are going to reconsider their positions on keeping guns off campus.

I heard a statistic on talk radio that 92% of mass killings in the US have happened in gun free zones. I can't verify it.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    I heard a statistic on talk radio that 92% of mass killings in the US have happened in gun free zones. I can't verify it.

According to John R. Lott Jr.

"Since at least 1950, all but two public mass shootings in America have taken place where general citizens are banned from carrying guns. In Europe, there have been no exceptions. Every mass public shooting has occurred in a gun-free zone."
    Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...arget-gun-free-zones.html#MXDehmMxgpMjoFRk.99

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Most Millennials and Gen X see Mad Max and The Walking Dead to be a snapshot of a not too distant future. Hell, even the hippy Boomers realize we are drifting toward disaster.

If nothing else events like Katrina and the Baltimore Riots show what can happen with just a little civil disorder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    "Now, is it possible that the “ever-smaller number of white, southern, Republican men” are fueling the sales of bra-mounted holsters, pastel-colored rifles and pistols, and Muddy Girl camo? Perhaps. But it’s improbable as it is disturbing."

:lol:

LMAO at this: http://bearingarms.com/debunking-de...urce=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

Fail. To say gun ownership is increasing which may be true, means nothing when compared to population growth. In other words, our population is outgrowing gun ownership in terms of percentage that own guns. That does not mean in terms of raw figures gun ownership is not growing, but in terms of percentages of overall population it is falling.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    "Now, is it possible that the “ever-smaller number of white, southern, Republican men” are fueling the sales of bra-mounted holsters, pastel-colored rifles and pistols, and Muddy Girl camo? Perhaps. But it’s improbable as it is disturbing."

Bra holsters you say? Just found my wifes christmas present.....

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Fail. To say gun ownership is increasing which may be true, means nothing when compared to population growth. In other words, our population is outgrowing gun ownership in terms of percentage that own guns. That does not mean in terms of raw figures gun ownership is not growing, but in terms of percentages of overall population it is falling.

Yes, but, I think public attitudes are more positive toward guns even if per capita gun ownership is down.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Yes, but, I think public attitudes are more positive toward guns even if per capita gun ownership is down.

The current level and the trend of per capita gun ownership in the USA is as diverse as the number of surveys on the subject and who paid for those surveys. I personally find it difficult to believe that the spike in firearms purchases since Obama took office is attributable only to gun owners buying more guns.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Well yes, I personally believe a lot of new gun owners are getting into the hobby.

I think a lot are women and young family who want to put something in their hands 'just in case'.

There is also a solid cadre of young guys who grew up on action movies and FPS that want to own the real thing. Add to this a fair number of vets of our recent wars.

Hell, I even know a few Boomers who are in favor of "gun control" but now own guns because they are no longer so young and spry.

The good news is one group really is on the way out - Fudds. Fudds are a dying breed.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The current level and the trend of per capita gun ownership in the USA is as diverse as the number of surveys on the subject and who paid for those surveys. I personally find it difficult to believe that the spike in firearms purchases since Obama took office is attributable only to gun owners buying more guns.

I'm sure I represent an extremely large sample of those Poll respondents.

If a complete stranger calls me out of the blue and asks me if I own a gun, my answer probably be "Huh?" followed by [click]. Or possibly "NO!" followed by [click].

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'll probably catch some flak for this, and it's purposefully overstated...

These murderers are crazy, not stupid.

Don't sweat it, you are right. To the person, they were all 'crazy', but they were also calculating so hard to define as 'stupid'. I'd also submit that I'm well informed, that most of these 'crazies' are also untrained cowards, and our brothers in blue are increasing being told to immediately assault a mass shooter. Odds are good these coward mass shooters - who overwhelmingly intentionally chose 'gun free zones' because they are less likely to be challenged (i.e. not stupid). Most the the crazies kill themselves immediately when they know they are about to be shot. One of my shooting groups was told that when they hear gun fire to immediate [edit-deleted].

Well yes, I personally believe a lot of new gun owners are getting into the hobby.

I think a lot are women and young family who want to put something in their hands 'just in case'.

There is also a solid cadre of young guys who grew up on action movies and FPS that want to own the real thing. Add to this a fair number of vets of our recent wars.

Hell, I even know a few Boomers who are in favor of "gun control" but now own guns because they are no longer so young and spry.

The good news is one group really is on the way out - Fudds. Fudds are a dying breed.

Other than your use of the (insulting to some) term 'fudds' I agree with you. We are winning overall. The other day a vampire, er, I mean... a anti-gunner was on CNN foaming at the mouth that we need to essentially ban guns; even the female CNN reporter, started asking good questions like: "wouldn't the victims been better off it they were armed?", "If a crazy person wanted to kill people, don't they just ignore the 'no gun zone sign', it only makes self defense impossible for law-abiding citizens", and my favorite "how would making it harder for me to be armed, keep me safer from a homicidal maniac thats actually shooting people?"

I paraphrased the exchange, but you get my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom