What shuld I be looking for in a WWII era 1911A1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I got hooked on "US government property" 1911s when I acquired a 1918 produced Colt M1911 that was arsenal refurbished in 1942. Now I'm looking for a representative M1911A1. I'm not trying to find an "as issued" or "correct" pistol. An arsenal refurbished one that probably saw wartime action is what I'm after. I plan to shoot it at least occasionally, so its collectibility is not an issue. Any suggestions on what to look for, what to avoid, and a price point or range?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    There's a guy at the Dulles Expo Gun Show, along the left wall, who always has a nice selection. He's not exactly cheap, but he will work with you on price...

Ditto.

I've got a parts-matching early '45 Remington Rand (i.e., one of RR's third/final series of the 'A1, which Colt apparently copied), which I love. But, unlike you, I was seeking this very gun and very interested in collectibility.

If you just want a genuine, used-in-action 1911A1, you probably can't go wrong with any working gun. However, to reduce the likelihood of buyer's remorse (once you know a bit more about the 'A1), I'd recommend getting a good 1911 book (I prefer Joe Poyer's The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols) before you buy. I nearly bought two guns prior to the one I ended up with (one was from the guy mentioned above), both of which were really nice, but, unfortunately, at the time, I didn't know enough about the model to know what to ask or what's available. So, with hindsight, I'd recommend reading Poyer's book before beginning your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom