• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Please dont tell any of my Marine friends that....they were never told that, and shoot out to like 600 yards....theyll be pissed.

Just bring a pack of Crayons, they'll get over it. ;)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hmmm. at least a fair amount of shooters at the 200-700 yd gas gun match i did this past weekend were using ar-15's in 223...

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I'll have to tell the Army Marksmenship Unit that the 400 out of 400 fired in the Presidents match at Camp Perry this year wasn't really 600 yards. And that x ring isn't really 6", .

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    8" grouping at 50 yards with a scope? Was he wearing these?

Attachments

• michael_smith_as_bubbles.jpg
      michael_smith_as_bubbles.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 377

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was at the range the other day getting ready to shoot. I asked the guy if he was able to get his ar15 (in 223) on target. He was shooting off a lead slead with a scope at a 12 inch target posted at 50 yards.

He had a nice 8 inch group and called it good because "ar15s in 223 are really only good out to about 75 yards anyway". He also mentioned that once the scope zero is set, you never change the knobs on a scope.

i didn't know that!

I now believe in <insert religious name here> because there's no way i should have been able to hit groundhogs at 200+ yards with an ar15 in 223 using iron sites and a sling!

now for the REAL question... do you think he actually believes that?? I didn't, until he pulled out his 300 ultra magnum and was done calling it "good enough" with an 8 inch group at 100 yards (off a bench-rest and using a scope).

Somebody who's that stupid shouldn't own a gun.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    16 MOA. That’s pretty good! Was he shooting .223 out of a 300 BLK barrel?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    .223 effective range under 100yrds?

HEREYAGO. Not too shabby for a 73 yrs.old Geezer with a NC Star Scope from a bi-pod.
    ( what??)

Attachments

• 0527161600.jpg
      0527161600.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 356

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    30 yards, no irons or optics. Function testing in the back yard, put a target out for shits & giggles.

16" frankenstein build, with Wolf 55gr fmj.

DSCF0544.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's not bad. Irons?

I just looked down the rail and hoped to hit somewhere on the paper... :o

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I was at the range the other day getting ready to shoot. I asked the guy if he was able to get his ar15 (in 223) on target. He was shooting off a lead slead with a scope at a 12 inch target posted at 50 yards.

He had a nice 8 inch group and called it good because "ar15s in 223 are really only good out to about 75 yards anyway". He also mentioned that once the scope zero is set, you never change the knobs on a scope.

i didn't know that!

I now believe in <insert religious name here> because there's no way i should have been able to hit groundhogs at 200+ yards with an ar15 in 223 using iron sites and a sling!

now for the REAL question... do you think he actually believes that?? I didn't, until he pulled out his 300 ultra magnum and was done calling it "good enough" with an 8 inch group at 100 yards (off a bench-rest and using a scope).

The real question is what is meant by good. While it is more than adequate for groundhogs and poking holes in paper, I believe it would not be a very good choice for elephants and other dangerous game. Given that he has a 300 ultra mag, I suspect his definition is slanted toward the later. Given his accuracy, smaller cartridges would definitely not be a good choice.

Barrel length also plays a factor. One of the things that makes this round more effective is that it is able to fragment. The round tends to not fragment reliably below 2500 fps. Barrel lengths below 10 in generally don't have muzzle velocities above this, limiting the effectiveness of the round. Paper does not need the round to fragment.

I will also say that he is sort of correct about not needing to adjust the scope. A 223 within 75 yards does not really need the scope to be adjusted (especially if all you need is to be withing 8 in).

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'm not as crazy as that guy from the range, but I am not embarrassed to admit as a beginner that I called it a day at 25 yards zeroing an optic this weekend because even at 50 I could not tell if I was shooting in the same place on the target. The fact that some of you guys pick off grounds hogs at 200 plus with irons is incredible to me. Hopefully one day I will get half as good.

Practice, practice, practice.

I coach kids, age 10 to 20, shooting three position air rifle which is iron sights (aperture type) shot at ten meters (33 feet) the ten ring on the air rifle target is literally the size of the period at the end of this sentence. They learn to hit it regularly.

You too can learn.
    Try to find a coach who can make sure you are not creating bad habits.
    Learn all you can, here is a good starting resource, everything from BB gun to Military Rifle Competition, just start reading:
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/
    Then "Practice, practice, practice."

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Blacksmith101
    Where do you coach?
    I coach Calvert HS NJROTC, might run into you at a match.
    Yeah the ten is only a 0.5mm dot and I'm sure my cadets could get better than an 8" group with their air rifles at 50 yrds. :lol2:

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Travis Haley weeps.

Long range kill shots said to be 650 - 800m:
    Bushmaster 20" standard Govt profile 1/7
    ARMS 59 SIR
    ARMS 22 med rings
    ARMS 40 BUIS
    Leupold Mk4 3x9x40 ill mill dot
    Harris bi pod
    PAQ-2 IR Laser

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Wow, 8" @ 50 Yards???

I guess I'm a better instructor than I give myself credit for.......

Take 11 Boy Scouts, most of whom had never touched a rifle, and with 5 assistants (other adult scouters who shoot, including my better half) and have 10 of them earn thier Rifle Shooting Merit Badge in one day at the range.

The badge requires them to shoot multiple, three shot, quarter sized groups, and multiple five shot groups for score at 50'. The five shot groups had to quarter sized to make the score.

I have no doubt, any of one of them would be able to shoot much tighter than 8" @ 50 yds.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

i didn't know that!

Yes I do believe he is sincere. There are some ASTOUNDINGLY dumb people in this world and they get into all kinds of hobbies. You just happened to run into one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom