• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I don't have a lot of experience with Gunbroker purchasing, but I have won a couple of auctions, mostly for C&R eligible or antique items. Never had a problem until now.

I won an auction for a 97 year old handgun, but the seller will not accept a C&R license. Fine, that's his call. My FFL sent him his information so the handgun could be shipped to him, but the seller refused to accept an e-mail attachment. He insists on a snail mail originally signed hardcopy, which I assume he will give to his FFL.

OK, we can do that, but it really doesn't seem necessary and has not been necessary in any other auction or on-line retail order I have made.

Am I misunderstanding what I thought was SOP for a transfer to an FFL?

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    This guy may be getting some bad info from his local FFL, or is just plain paranoid. ATF says email is fine. But then, your C&R should be fine, too...

Jul 1, 2012
    If he is using an FFL on his end it might not be a bad idea to just talk directly to them.
    Who knows, maybe they'll even take the FFL-03.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I always contact the seller to clarify things like this before I place a bid. That way there aren't any surprises. I was even able to convince a seller to sell me a Savage Model 99 on my C&R just by asking him and sending a link to the ATF website showing that it was eligible.
    Sometimes you can work with people and sometimes you can't!

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I always contact the seller to clarify things like this before I place a bid. That way there aren't any surprises. I was even able to convince a seller to sell me a Savage Model 99 on my C&R just by asking him and sending a link to the ATF website showing that it was eligible.
    Sometimes you can work with people and sometimes you can't!

Communication has been good throughout. I knew up front that he wanted FFL info. When I won the auction I told him my FFL was working a gun show and was closed on Monday, so it would probably be today before he could get the FFL info to him. Asked then if my C&R would be OK and he said no. The seller acknowledged receiving my payment yesterday, but no FFL information. I contacted the FFL who said he sent it Friday. I contacted the seller again today after sending him a softcopy of the FFL information. He said he needed a hard copy. I can understand how he might be uncertain, but posted this just to be sure my previous experiences were not unusual and this one is a bit out of the ordinary.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Communication has been good throughout. I knew up front that he wanted FFL info. When I won the auction I told him my FFL was working a gun show and was closed on Monday, so it would probably be today before he could get the FFL info to him. Asked then if my C&R would be OK and he said no. The seller acknowledged receiving my payment yesterday, but no FFL information. I contacted the FFL who said he sent it Friday. I contacted the seller again today after sending him a softcopy of the FFL information. He said he needed a hard copy. I can understand how he might be uncertain, but posted this just to be sure my previous experiences were not unusual and this one is a bit out of the ordinary.

Some sellers seem to go overboard but it'll all work out in the end.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Unfortunately it is all up to them, and no matter what the law says, they can be jerks about it. And, IMO, it does count as "being a jerk" when you can easily prove that an email copy is fine, and the item is C&R eligible.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. It's like talking with some wives* ... it doesn't matter what the facts are, whatever they believe is the reality you have to deal with.

[*Not mine, of course!]

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Unfortunately it is all up to them, and no matter what the law says, they can be jerks about it. And, IMO, it does count as "being a jerk" when you can easily prove that an email copy is fine, and the item is C&R eligible.

Well, truth be told I REALLY wanted that 1918 Colt 1911 and was more concerned about the few extra days before I could call it mine than about the way the seller should have handled the transaction. I appreciate the benefit of everyone's knowledge and experience. At least it confirmed what I thought should have happened.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    The seller does not need a hard copy. He can go online and with a few numbers from your FFL01's license, that license can be verified on the ATF website. The seller is a novice and unsure of himself.

I've completed over a 115 transactions on GunBroker. The ones who get under my skin are the FFLs and/or sellers who will not accept a FFL03 license.

Lew--Ranger63

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Here's what I'm waiting for now that the FFL issue has been sorted out:

It dates to 1918 and was sent through the Augusta Arsenal for refurb during WWII. I'll have to field strip it when it arrives to see just how much of a mixmaster it is.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. It's like talking with some wives* ... it doesn't matter what the facts are, whatever they believe is the reality you have to deal with.

[*Not mine, of course!]
    Haha!, worried she has a key logger or checks your forum posts? :D

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom