• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schwarf

Dec 12, 2017
    It looks like I’ll soon be moving to MD from TX.

I currently own 5 handguns and 3 long guns:
    2 Springfield XDms
    1 Beretta 92a1
    2 Springfield XDSs
    1 Browning over under shotgun
    1 Beretta A400 semiauto shotgun
    1 Henry lever action 22

As I understand it, when I move, I have 90 days to register the handguns, and won’t need to register the long guns?

The XDSs are for concealed carry, as I have a permit in TX.

As an employee at a doctor office, it seems unlikely I will be able to get a MD CHL?

Should I just sell the XDS guns before I move?

I can take my 17 and 19 round magazines with me from TX but won’t be able to buy more in MD?

Thanks

Schwarf

Dec 12, 2017
    No need to sell your XDS,Just need to have them registered with MSP within 90 days!

HQL is required in order to purchase Pistols in MD.

GTG on the Rifles and Shotguns.

I inderstand I don’t NEED to sell the XDs pistols, but they’re only helpful to me as carry guns, and if I won’t be able to carry legally, I’d rather just sell them.

And as I understand it, I’m unlikely to get a carry permit. Is that Right?

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I inderstand I don’t NEED to sell the XDs pistols, but they’re only helpful to me as carry guns, and if I won’t be able to carry legally, I’d rather just sell them.

And as I understand it, I’m unlikely to get a carry permit. Is that Right?

Employee at a doctors office....Do you handle the finances?do daily deposits/withdrawals?

Good&Substantial is what MSP rules if you deserve a permit....Check out MSI(Maryland Shall Issue)

Again you will need a HQL(handgun qualification license) in order to make future handgun purchases in MD

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    If you don't need the money KEEP the handguns.

Once you see the hoops you have to go through to purchase another (HQL:$$Training, $$Fingerprints, $$MD Fees, Background Checks - you have to have the HQL before you can even buy one), (then a background check again when you try to buy one, then a 7-8 day wait if nothing goes wrong), you'll want to hold onto what you have.

Schwarf

Dec 12, 2017
    Employee at a doctors office....Do you handle the finances?do daily deposits/withdrawals?

Good&Substantial is what MSP rules if you deserve a permit....Check out MSI(Maryland Shall Issue)

Again you will need a HQL(handgun qualification license) in order to make future handgun purchases in MD

No, I’m one of the doctors, just not an owner/partner.

I’ll look into how to get an HQL

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Depending on job duties W&C is questionable at best. I wouldn't sell all hand guns as they will exempt you from training for HQL if you decide to buy a handgun in MD. And depending on how HB38 turns out you may need them?

If you write prescriptions I would say you have a good chance at having MSP granting you the privilege to carry. This will take some research but I would feel confident that you would prevail at HPRB appeal.

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    No, I’m one of the doctors, just not an owner/partner.

I’ll look into how to get an HQL

Depending on how you play it, you could probably get one. You're someone who has ready access to controlled substances either at the office, or via prescription pad. That, to me, makes you a potential target. Might be worth talking to the folks at MSI about your chances. They'd know better than anyone as to whether being a doctor is more likely to get you approved for a CHP than not.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    If you don't need the money KEEP the handguns.

Once you see the hoops you have to go through to purchase another (HQL:$$Training, $$Fingerprints, $$MD Fees, Background Checks - you have to have the HQL before you can even buy one), (then a background check again when you try to buy one, then a 7-8 day wait if nothing goes wrong), you'll want to hold onto what you have.

Since they already legally own the handguns wouldn't they be exempt from taking the training to obtain the hql ?

Depending on job duties W&C is questionable at best. I wouldn't sell all hand guns as they will exempt you from training for HQL if you decide to buy a handgun in MD.

Was typing as this was being posted

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Since they already legally own the handguns wouldn't they be exempt from taking the training to obtain the hql ?

Was typing as this was being posted

Not if he sells them before moving and registering them in MD.

And I moved from MD to DE to get away from the MD BS.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    The hunter safety course can be used to substitute the HQL training.
    The former runs at about <$20, while the latter runs $20-100.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unlike Texas , Maryland is a physically small state . Anywhere in the state , you are within an hour of a neighboring state . ( And only a small pocket that takes that long , most is closer .) You can carry in all neighboring jurisdictions, with proper Non Resident Permits .

And of course ; Welcome !

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Sorry you need to moved to Maryland, many of us have done the same due to work, when we have the chance we got the hell out, while your here the MDShooter family is great starting place their good people. When you done your time I hope your able to find the exit from Hell. Good luck to you and yours make the best of it.:cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom