• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/gunsmiths

No 4473 needed to return to original customer but is if it's a different person picking up. Firearm held by FFL for less than one day no entry in A+D book. If longer then yes.

Sounds like the shop may not be up on the regulations and didn't need to do a 4473 but now that it has been done they are in a pickle and can't return it. I think your friend / relative needs the disposition number to call the ATF and sort out his mess before the FFL can release his shotgun. With the correct attitude it shouldn't be too horrible.

Short term option would be to have someone else pick it up but then you trip into the straw purchase (pickup?) side of things if the FFL is wary / worried about the legality of it.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The way I was read it, the gun at the shop belongs to the Potentially Prohibited Person, not the OP. The OP's shotgun is in the possession of the PPP as a loaner because the PPP's was in the shop.

So...while the OP should indeed be reclaiming his gun from the PPP asap, it's not as bad as it could have been (for the OP):shrug:
    You’re correct. I misread the OP. Good catch, a lot less scary now.

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    Your buddy/friend should have immediately received the other half of the repair tag. I cant imagine a background check done before the problem was communicated, course of action or repairs to be made were finalized and the shotgun turned over to the shop until repairs were finalized.
    Sounds like some BS going on to me somewhere along the line.
    Who runs the shop?

as i was told the gun was given to the shop for repairs, parts had to be ordered after about 2 weeks i checked with loanee and got the story of a nics check that came back flagged. i wont give the shop name out yet until i can remove all blame from the loanee then the shop will be called out on its shenanigans.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Again, this 4473/NICS/Repair crap isn't taking place where you mail your firearm so it can be serviced.

These service centers get the gun, log the gun, fix the gun, and ship the gun back to the owner. Sans background check.

Maybe our local gun shops can weigh in on this. And tell us if it's a federally mandated requirement that they can't repair and release a firearm without another background check being run.

This has been my experience also. I even had Stoeger ship me a different (new) shotgun when they finally gave up trying to fix the old one. No FFL, no NICS check, just signed for the UPS man.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    as i was told the gun was given to the shop for repairs, parts had to be ordered after about 2 weeks i checked with loanee and got the story of a nics check that came back flagged. i wont give the shop name out yet until i can remove all blame from the loanee then the shop will be called out on its shenanigans.

Keep an open mind, maybe what you were told and whats happening are two different things.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So you're saying Colt, Ruger, S&W, Savage, Browning, and all the other repair facilities are running/should run a background check on all guns that come in for repair.

Or is this intrusiveness just OK for an LGS?

I agree.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Back in the simpler times of the 1960s, I saw a list of stolen guns on the wall of my gunsmith work shop. Can smith's check for stolen firearms today? Should they?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    UPDATE:
    so it seems that everybody local did as they should. the repair will entail a replacement of the receiver, hence the nics check. so the gunshop is cleared. and my relative has someone whos name is similar ie. same first and last name and same first middle initial, like John Craig Brown and John Clarence Brown. this is not the first time he has had a nics check trigger. only to have a deeper check done to clear him as not the guy who has problems that keep him from owning guns. so now a new question when you fill out the forms and a nics check is done dont they run your social security number too.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I have the same problem, very common name (lucky me and for my son too )
    I put my SS and sometimes it’s good to go in mins or a day later , thought about getting the PIN but have heard it still happens

UPDATE:
    so it seems that everybody local did as they should. the repair will entail a replacement of the receiver, hence the nics check. so the gunshop is cleared. and my relative has someone whos name is similar ie. same first and last name and same first middle initial, like John Craig Brown and John Clarence Brown. this is not the first time he has had a nics check trigger. only to have a deeper check done to clear him as not the guy who has problems that keep him from owning guns. so now a new question when you fill out the forms and a nics check is done dont they run your social security number too.

If you supply it to them.
    I have a very uncommon name (<10 with same first/last in America). One of them happens to be prohibited and I used to get flagged all the time. I got an ATF "UPIN" (Unique Personal Identification Number) and the problem went away. I have recently broke down and supply my SSN (forgot UPIN) and haven't had any issues.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I have the same problem, very common name (lucky me and for my son too )
    I put my SS and sometimes it’s good to go in mins or a day later , thought about getting the PIN but have heard it still happens

I have a buddy who is flagged every single time due to a similar name and DOB as a PP. He even has a PIN. All that did was shorten the delay from 3-5 days down to 1-2.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I have a buddy who is flagged every single time due to a similar name and DOB as a PP. He even has a PIN. All that did was shorten the delay from 3-5 days down to 1-2.

Mine is typically 1-2days , what I really hate is to get home and get the call same day saying good to go , I did a name search and found 30k people with the same name and two of them are known felons in bmore but serving time smh

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    What do you mean a background check? You're kind of messed up here.

A background check is done on a person and it requires certain information. Firearm sales, that would be a NICS check.

You don't perform a "background check" on an item. That would be performed through NCIC through your local LE agency. Like a pawn shop would for hot items.

So what is it that you think gun repair shops do? And when? And what is that shop to do if they do a "background check" on a customer and he is in fact prohibited in possession? Do they detain the guy? LOL

Chill out and read post #13

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I find this odd...

I have given over handguns for repair, and the only information I provided was my name and phone#, so that they could put a tag on them, and call me when they were ready.

From the limited info here, I see 3 possibilities re: the 'smith...

Idiot
    Paranoid
    Compromised

Some combination of these is also possible, IMO.
    Exactly this.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom