• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    For those of you not paying attention, there's been a battle among Maryland craft brewers, Guinness and the State. Laws were passed and changed in the last session of the General Assembly.

Liz Murphy, an excellent local write of beer, analyzed the money in a recent article. She had previously been on Mr. Franchot's craft brewing task force.

http://naptownpint.com/2017/11/the-...in-maryland-beer-politics-house-of-delegates/

She does an excellent job of analyzing the big brewing industry's contributions to legislators in this article.

Now the tie-in; I know much of the opposition to guns is just because they're innately evil. And that no one can be trusted with a gun.

But I'm starting to wonder if there's a money angle. (Money? In politics?!)

I know folks have previously contacted donors to politicians, asking if they knew what the politician was doing. Now I'm thinking I want to know every donor to every member of the Judiciary and Judicial Proceedings committees.

Is my thinking skewed because I can't sleep or is this something to look into? What do you think?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    It's surprising how little money can be wisely spent to open doors in Annapolis. I don't expect we will have enough to challenge Bloomburg or Soros but this angle certainly should be looked at.

Now, if some of you guys would just hit the lottery...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok . A federal lawsuit has $50k retainer to get started.
    Paying off the key players in the MGA to get Bill designed to your specs passed requires about $32k .

Buck , meet Bang .

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    It's really sickening the amount of personal and professional freedoms legislators in the state are willing to trample in order to stay in power. It could almost drive one to drinkin'.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    How does one view donor lists? I'm not thinking of buying some politicians. I'm just thinking about a little exposure. As in " Did you vote that way because you received $2000 from Mike Bloomberg?"

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    For those of you not paying attention, there's been a battle among Maryland craft brewers, Guinness and the State. Laws were passed and changed in the last session of the General Assembly.

Liz Murphy, an excellent local write of beer, analyzed the money in a recent article. She had previously been on Mr. Franchot's craft brewing task force.

http://naptownpint.com/2017/11/the-...in-maryland-beer-politics-house-of-delegates/

She does an excellent job of analyzing the big brewing industry's contributions to legislators in this article.

Now the tie-in; I know much of the opposition to guns is just because they're innately evil. And that no one can be trusted with a gun.

I know folks have previously contacted donors to politicians, asking if they knew what the politician was doing. Now I'm thinking I want to know every donor to every member of the Judiciary and Judicial Proceedings committees.

Is my thinking skewed because I can't sleep or is this something to look into? What do you think?

I'm friends with an owner of a mico brewer "who is also pro 2A" and is brewing at his peek capacity and wants to expand but unable due to current restrictions. If you have ideas/questions I could run them by him.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Dig in the MDS archives, IIRC there was an effort to follow the money when we were fighting the 2013 restrictions. Some who donated were contacted and were not happy with the people who they donated to.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    I'm friends with an owner of a mico brewer "who is also pro 2A" and is brewing at his peek capacity and wants to expand but unable due to current restrictions. If you have ideas/questions I could run them by him.

What brewery? Do they have a pub or restaurant? Sounds like a possible MDS hangout!

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

Remember the Alamo!

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I am resigned to the likelihood that Franchot’s draft legislation is D.O.A. Primary reason is that Busch and Miller hate his living guts and will do anything possible to spite him. I have it on good authority that one of them has said recently that there could be an effort to remove alcohol regulation from Franchot’s office altogether. Secondary reason is that the Brewers Association of Maryland has a lot of catching up to do raising PAC money in order to buy any kind of influence in Annapolis. Yet another reason for likely failure is that not enough people (voters) are either informed about this, or care enough even if they are informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom