• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I had toy guns to play with growing up.

I was also exposed to real firearms very early. My Dad kept firearms around the house, and the rule was, any time I wanted to see/touch, I could ask and it would happen. If I touched without asking and having him there, I would not be able to sit down for at least a week, maybe a month.

I was first taken shooting at about 5 years old. And my Dad started with shooting a can of creamed corn with a .22 pistol. And a small watermelon with a .410 single shot shotgun. Both to impress on me that real guns were DANGEROUS.

It worked for me.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    So as not to derail the home defense thread, I'm going to ask this in a new thread.

this is me being curios and in no way critical... Did or do they have toy guns to play with? If they did, how did you ensure they understood the difference between toys and not toys. We have a grandson and I'm anticipating this possibly coming up. Thanks for any insights.

I've had firearms in the house since before our 3 kids were born. If I had the guns out shooting, I never "hid" them from the boys but rather, would clean the guns out in the open before putting them away, to de-mystify them. They were taught that guns were inanimate objects which, like any other tools we had around the house, were only dangerous if they were handled and used improperly.

When the boys were still young, probably 12, 10 and 8 years old respectively, I took them with me to Hap Baker to shoot if they wanted to go, which they did. I only brought .22lr, 9mm, and .357 handguns to shoot so that they could experience the differences. Of course, they all wanted to shoot the "big" one, which they each did. After a few trips, I bought a .22LR Browning Buckmark which was a much more comfortable, accurate, and rewarding handgun for them to shoot than the others. So they grew up being familiar with, and not afraid, of firearms.

I never tried to "teach" them about 2nd Amendment rights as in, "this is what you should believe." They were, however, raised by two conservative parents and taught to be independent thinkers. The three of them are now 28-30-32 years old. The oldest lives in B-more, and while he is very liberal, he actually has asked me a couple of times recently about what handguns he should consider *if* he decided to get one. He denies that anything has happened in his particular neighborhood to prompt him to start thinking about keeping a handgun in the house. But I take the fact that he is thinking about it, and talking to me about it, as a victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom