• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Do to the further decline of civilization in my area, I want to get my grown daughter and oldest granddaughter (19) a stun gun for personal protection. The problem is I know Jack about stun guns and am calling on the all knowing wisdom of the forum on what I should buy them. I do know or at least think I do that it should be a stun gun and not a taser.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Buy them the "Taser Pulse", with a kydex holster

It has a 15 feet standoff, and will continue working for 30 seconds allowing them to escape. Once the Pulse has been fired, it has backup electrodes, if a secondary jolt is needed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I will say, you do NOT want to equip them with stun guns . If you choose against Taser for whatever reason, OC would be next choice.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    My worry about tasers is you only get one shot, and have to stick both prongs.
    I thought that I read here that the ban on stun guns was over turned, did I make a mistake?

Like I wrote in my first post I know next to nothing on this subject. If this were a free state I would just open the safe and arm them properly.

Mr H

Banana'd
    IANATrainer...

My personal opinions on the subject, and nothing more...

It's my belief that one should always have a 'beyond arm's length' protection option with them at all times. Whether that's a [legal] firearm, spray, or ECD is a personal choice. But, I'll focus on ECD for now...

While I own a 'stun gun' it is not my preference, as there's always a chance someone is quicker and/or has longer arms. For me, it's not much better than a good knife. A Taser (or other brand) which has both follow-up capability and practice cartridges available seems to me to be the better option in this area. You get both reach and repeatability in one tool.

JMO...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Do NOT buy a stun gun. Contact weapon. Only deals pain. Questionable reliability.

Get a taser. Increase the distance between you and the threat. Interrupts their nervous system and deals pain. Can be used like a stun gun in a worst case scenario.

Taser Pulse runs for 30 seconds on one trigger pull, giving you time to get away and call for help.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    There is confusion with the words Stun Gun and Taser. Some 'splaining is in order and I am not experienced enough to do so.

anyone?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A stun gun requires direct contact wih the person to administer the shock. A taser can deliver the shock from a distance through the barbs / electrodes it firers into the perp. IIRC some tasres have stun gun capabilities as well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I 100% agree with keeping the threat at some distance.

That said, keep in mind that in public in MD, you have a duty to retreat before you employ force, if you can. With a stun gun, there is really no question that you could not retreat. With a Taser, the didndunuffin can allege assault.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Does not say "deadly force" it says "used no more force than was reasonably necessary to defend [himself] [herself] in light of the threatened or actual harm."

Plus, Tasers have been known to kill people.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Thanks everyone, after listening to advice here and watching some YouTube videos I'm still in a quandary as to what to get them.

1) stun gun: up close and it appears you need prolonged contact to do much more than give them a zap and piss them off.

2) taser: better range, but you have to hit your mark, larger than a stun gun, doubt I could get them to carry it all the time. Also worry at first sight may be mistaken as a pistol and get them shot.

3) pepper spray: getting the spray blown back into their face or breathing it in if in the heat of the moment if they spray into the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom