• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I haven't seen this Mythbusters bit before and thought it was pretty cool. I think we all have been cautioned not to let our fingers dangle across the cylinder gap, but watch this if you still don't buy it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not a finger, but I once watched the result of a careles credmore position. Natsy 3rd degree burn.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I've corrected sooooo many people at gun shows with this. You can tell nearly immediately who has predominately shot semi autos. Had one guy say I was wrong. Offered him $20 if I could come and watch. Oddly he didn't seem interested in arguing after that.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I went shooting with my girlfriend and her father who was a dentist. He laid his finger open with a.357 smith by the forcing cone. Fortunately I was carrying my EMS kit in my car and dressed it. After cleaning the blood it wasn't that bad.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    "The second problem with early revolving carbines was the hot gas escaping sideways from the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. This is not much of a concern when firing a revolving handgun because both hands are behind the cylinder gap. Placing a support hand under the barrel of a revolving carbine, as you would with other long guns, resulted in nasty burns to the hand or arm of the shooter. The Rossi Circuit Judge design eliminates this problem with the installation of gas-deflector shields on the frame near the cylinder gap as well as a wedge-shaped flair to the forearm between the cylinder and where the shooter’s hand rests. These enhancements successfully work to protect the shooter."

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not gonna bash on someone who is a semi shooter primarily and out of habit throws that finger out. I always catch myself the few times I shoot revolvers.
    This is why I like a little pocket snubby to just push out and shoot 1 handed.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Hickok45 did a couple of similar things, here's one of him using a .44Mag as a paper shredder.

And when something goes wrong and the gun doesn't perform as designed we'll have a new video of WHY not to do what he just did. I usually like this guy's videos but personally I think that was pretty damn stupid. What's he gonna do next ? Maybe show us how good the grip safety works on a springfield xd by not engaging it, pointing the muzzle at his chest, and try to pull the trigger ?

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    And when something goes wrong and the gun doesn't perform as designed we'll have a new video of WHY not to do what he just did. I usually like this guy's videos but personally I think that was pretty damn stupid. What's he gonna do next ? Maybe show us how good the grip safety works on a springfield xd by not engaging it, pointing the muzzle at his chest, and try to pull the trigger ?

What's the problem with what he just did? He just safely and graphically showed a cylinder blast.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    What's the problem with what he just did? He just safely and graphically showed a cylinder blast.

The "problem" is at about 5:20 where he uses his hand to show how effective the gas sealed cylinder is....... "this doesn't feel right (laughs) this just doesn't feel right" NO CHIT CHERLOCK !

Uses a piece of paper to demonstrate gun safety feature ? Perfectly acceptable

Uses a body part for same demonstration ? DUMBASS

Gets finger blown off during said demo ? Priceless

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017

Well he did say this goes against everything safety wise that he believes in, and the gun performed as it was designed to. I don't think what he did was really all that crazy.

it's no worst than having a striker fired pistol with no safety, you hope the gun functions as it should with a loaded chamber and no manual safety right? What happens when it doesn't?

Hick would never recommend anybody do what he did though. I think it was a very educational video because I never knew there were gas block revolvers until now.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    The "problem" is at about 5:20 where he uses his hand to show how effective the gas sealed cylinder is....... "this doesn't feel right (laughs) this just doesn't feel right" NO CHIT CHERLOCK !

Uses a piece of paper to demonstrate gun safety feature ? Perfectly acceptable

Uses a body part for same demonstration ? DUMBASS

Gets finger blown off during said demo ? Priceless

Two totally different demonstrations. He was just showing viewers how good the gas block design is.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've not seen this at any range, but I do remember watching the Mythbuster show and thinking that that would leave a mark.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Two totally different demonstrations. He was just showing viewers how good the gas block design is.

What ???? It's exactly the same. FIRST he "tests" the gas block with a piece of paper, THEN with his hand.

If you think this is such a grand idea please make a video for us showing how good the safeties are on a variety of guns by pointing them at your chest and pulling the trigger, with a live round chambered of course.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    What ???? It's exactly the same. FIRST he "tests" the gas block with a piece of paper, THEN with his hand.

If you think this is such a grand idea please make a video for us showing how good the safeties are on a variety of guns by pointing them at your chest and pulling the trigger, with a live round chambered of course.

The "test" was with the paper.

AFTER the test, he demonstrated the fact that the Nagant revolver is made with a system that seals the gas in the chamber when it is fired. Other revolvers do not use such a system.

If you wish to express your displeasure at him. There is a comment area on his website.

Now... Please stop suggesting that folks shoot a loaded firearm into their chest.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had an incident once. I was sighting in my scope on my .44. and was shooting off a sandbag. I wasn't paying attention to my left hand and where it was placed in support on the bag. I had little black flecks of carbon underneath the skin on the top of my hand for a couple weeks. I'm very conscious of where my other hand is when shooting revolvers now.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    The "test" was with the paper.

AFTER the test, he demonstrated the fact that the Nagant revolver is made with a system that seals the gas in the chamber when it is fired. Other revolvers do not use such a system.

If you wish to express your displeasure at him. There is a comment area on his website.

Now... Please stop suggesting that folks shoot a loaded firearm into their chest

There's a comment section right here but thank you for the advice.

Now.... Please stop suggesting that it's okay to demonstrate a gun's safety features using body parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom