• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I made an unofficial inquiry of someone in the Baltimore City State's Attorney office regarding the open carry of a scabbarded sword in a baldric during the Fells Point Privateer Festival since event organizers said BCPD would be on hand to arrest anyone carrying. I asked them to point out where exactly it mentions blade length for open carrying of knives, etc. She just smiled at me and said: "Do you REALLY want to sit at Central Booking that long while we decide not to charge you?" Message received. Instead I took my cheap rapier, cut off all but 4" of the blade, JB welded the blade into the scabbard and then affixed that section with two peened over rivets. Got asked about it once - told the very polite officer that if he could get it out, he would be the next King of England....I then flopped the scabbard around to show the blade did not extend the full length. He smiled, wished me a great day, and never was asked about it again.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I asked (BPD) them to point out where exactly it mentions blade length for open carrying of knives, etc. She just smiled at me and said: "Do you REALLY want to sit at Central Booking that long while we decide not to charge you?"

Why do we even worry about federal judges legislating from the bench when we have police officers in the field making up and enforcing their own laws?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the following question.
    Why bring a knife to a knife fight, or especially a gun fight, when you have a legally obtained Texas concealed carry license ??

I believe a 9mm trumps ( love the guy ) a Bowie knife! :innocent0

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Why bring a knife to a knife fight, or especially a gun fight, when you have a legally obtained Texas concealed carry license ??

There has been a few proponents of using a blade as a weak-side backup to stop a gun grab, or to cut an attacker off of you to gain space, and draw your primary weapon. Seems to be gaining favor and popularity recently, I've carried a wave or quick deploy folder at 7:00 for years along with a concealed handgun. Practiced enough, and have just enough MA background to feel it's a benefit.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Intent is important too. Can't carry a fixed blade for self defense against another human or with the intent to harm others. Have to have an articulable, credible, other reason for the carry. Minors have more restrictions related to time of day for folding and fixed blades.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So, you need a good ans substantial reason to carry a knife too?

cb51

My gun that's in my pocket is my first line self defense. The knife is used for my cutting needs when fishing, working in the yard, on hikes, or whatever. I'm just reveling in that Texas is so much more liberal than Marylandistan and I can carry a better cutting tool now.

I find a fixed blade is lighter weight than a folder of equal size, no having to manipulate opening or closing, no lock to fail, and when done cleaning my catch of the day it's waaaay easier to clean than any folder. I just love living in a place where having a sheath knife on my hip doesn't attract a second glance or even a first.

I don't do knives for defense situations, even when I lived in The Peoples Republik Of Maryland.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I wanted to say there's a blade length restriction even on folding blades. The woman/owner at Worth-A-Shot said there was a limit.. but.. she is also Baltimurder police force. Personally "i hunt after work and have forgotten my knife enough times i carry it all the time now." Most of the time.. they aren't going to care unless you do something stupid with it.

Should you need to use it for self defense, don't loose control of it and give the attacker a weapon. Learn how to use it.

The woman/owner at Worth-A-Shot also said that a squib load will continue to expand in the barrel until they get it removed so it's critical to get it in or just throw the barrel away before it ruptures like a pipe bomb.

It was this moment, I removed her from a list of credible sources.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The woman/owner at Worth-A-Shot also said that a squib load will continue to expand in the barrel until they get it removed so it's critical to get it in or just throw the barrel away before it ruptures like a pipe bomb.

It was this moment, I removed her from a list of credible sources.
    Wow, I will quiz her on these. I'm hoping there was just a misunderstanding ...

odomo

May 8, 2018
    Iowa,Des Moines
    According to Maryland firearms law, not only must a handgun be secured in a container out of your reach, you must be traveling to or from a gun-oriented event, e.g., to or from a range, gunsmith, gun dealer, or a business you own. Having it secured in your trunk or in a compartment you cannot reach while driving "just in case you might need it" is not legal.

All the best: https://tacticsfaq.com/

Last edited:

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    OP my recommendation is to go with a good puukko. Finnish blade. Not too large (most are just a tad longer than a good pocket knife blade). They are made to last generations, tend toward the very attractive side and definitely aren't tacticool and scary looking.

Mora knives are mass manufactured, less attractive, but extremely inexpensive. They are excellent knives and you can afford to abuse them.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know:

I wanted to say there's a blade length restriction even on folding blades. The woman/owner at Worth-A-Shot said there was a limit.. but.. she is also Baltimurder police force. Personally "i hunt after work and have forgotten my knife enough times i carry it all the time now." Most of the time.. they aren't going to care unless you do something stupid with it.

Should you need to use it for self defense, don't loose control of it and give the attacker a weapon. Learn how to use it.

This is incorrect. There is no blade length limits for folding knives.

I made an unofficial inquiry of someone in the Baltimore City State's Attorney office regarding the open carry of a scabbarded sword in a baldric during the Fells Point Privateer Festival since event organizers said BCPD would be on hand to arrest anyone carrying. I asked them to point out where exactly it mentions blade length for open carrying of knives, etc. She just smiled at me and said: "Do you REALLY want to sit at Central Booking that long while we decide not to charge you?" Message received. Instead I took my cheap rapier, cut off all but 4" of the blade, JB welded the blade into the scabbard and then affixed that section with two peened over rivets. Got asked about it once - told the very polite officer that if he could get it out, he would be the next King of England....I then flopped the scabbard around to show the blade did not extend the full length. He smiled, wished me a great day, and never was asked about it again.

BCPD to arrest anyone carrying what?

A question I have asked here with no input is Can one carry an automatic with a CC license. However, no dog in this fight.

No. Maryland permits are for handguns only.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    No. Maryland permits are for handguns only.

Not so fast. The non-gun carry law, Title 4-101, has exceptions. One of them is the following:

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals. -- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:
    (3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Not so fast. The non-gun carry law, Title 4-101, has exceptions. One of them is the following:

Huh. I stand corrected. So if you have a permit you can carry switchblades now huh? Pretty cool.

And I suppose since that statute is so vague, a person could carry a switchblade outside of their permit restrictions.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

As I am rereading it though I believe the intent of the statute was to say that people who have handgun permits can carry handguns. I think it was placed there so as not to create a conflict with a handgun statute. But, the intent doesn't necessarily matter.

Has this ever been tested? I really want a Microtech ultratech

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    As I am rereading it though I believe the intent of the statute was to say that people who have handgun permits can carry handguns. I think it was placed there so as not to create a conflict with a handgun statute. But, the intent doesn't necessarily matter.

Has this ever been tested? I really want a Microtech ultratech
    Technically though, 4-101 says
    “Weapon” does not include:
    1. a handgun;
    The intent behind that is because the matter of handgun carry is covered by other statutes and so this statute has no affect on them. So based on this and my old readings back when this fell under Article 27, the intent was that a person who could obtain a permit to carry a handgun could be trusted to carry other non-firearm weapons concealed. Not aware of any tests in court regarding switchblades, but I am aware of some plain-clothes private security who carry firearms with a permit and also carry batons or blackjacks without legal trouble.

If you have a permit and wanted that Microtech though, you still are bound by 4-105 and 15 U.S.C 1242 (which has no exceptions, even for cops), which basically means you have to drive over to WV and buy one from a seller there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom