• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I was thinking last night about how to repell pirates, especially if they start firing at you on approach.....shoot them with a laser cannon.

Seriously, a laser cannon in their eyes so they cannot look at your boat directly and so therefore cannot fire back at you effectively.
    I mean get one of these in 500 mW and blind the bastards. :D

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Reading this thread again sparked one of those "mwu ha ha" evil thoughts in me.

In the days of sails and cannons, they didn't just shoot cannonballs... they used grape shot as anti-personnel weapon, and what they called "chain shot" to destroy sails, rigging, and the wooden structures. Chain shot was made of pairs of cannonballs connected by a length of chain, or sometimes just a piece of chain by itself.

What if you loaded a shotgun cartridge with say, 2 or 3 pairs of lead balls joined by several inches of steel cable? That might be wickedly effective on some kinds of targets, especially fuel tanks where the cables would tear a long gash instead of poking small holes like a bullet or shot. It should result in faster leakage and be more difficult to repair. And, if you're ever attacked by pirates under sail, you have a time-tested and proven weapon for taking out their rigging. :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Just looking this thread up for another reason and just now saw your post.

I think I have three or four of each kind, but I can't remember if I pulled one of each apart or not.
    I am all up for testing them. It would be awesome if we had some gel though.:D

It's expensive as hell, a minimum order of 25lbs is about $300, and mixes about 1lb per gallon, an 8X8X16" block takes 4 gallons, so $300 gets you 5 blocks. grocery store Knox gelatin works too, but 1 lb is about $15, it has to be mixed, refrigerated, and calibrated, all in all tough to do on the road

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    It's expensive as hell, a minimum order of 25lbs is about $300, and mixes about 1lb per gallon, an 8X8X16" block takes 4 gallons, so $300 gets you 5 blocks. grocery store Knox gelatin works too, but 1 lb is about $15, it has to be mixed, refrigerated, and calibrated, all in all tough to do on the road

you can buy reusable stuff for handguns and riffles from cabellas. but its in a narrow tube so not exactly shotgun friendly.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    you can buy reusable stuff for handguns and riffles from cabellas. but its in a narrow tube so not exactly shotgun friendly.

The Bullet tube. Works ok, basically candle wax in a cardboard tube. I wonder how much it would cost to melt down enough dollar store candles to fill a tube, might be a better way to go to get an idea of penetration and expansion, basically coming up with a ratio based on known performance of a partiular round to estimate penetration in gel. Might be onto something there

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I wonder how gel candle mix works. I tried some screwing around in my garage a few times with a small tub I bought at the craft store firing .22 snake shot at it and had some very interesting results.
    I wonder how it compares to ballistics gel? It was really cool because it being very clear I could see just how far it went in, but it got dirty real quick from the powder.

I looked it up and all that stuff is is mineral oil and a little bit of polymer or resin. If it was cheap to make at home it might be a really good non-scientific substitute to play around with.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    might work well - and with a big enough pot you can melt it back down and reuse it (or carve it into smaller portions to melt down)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    slugs or 00 buck to puncture the gas tank then whoever else is on your boat to fire a flare at the leaking tank....if the flare hits one of the pirates...oops no loss there! :lol2:

Ive never been in a pirate situation and hope to never be in one but I would think this doesnt happen at long distances....I'd have a flare gun or real gun on the ready...and a baseball bat just in case they got too your boat...

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    what about Incendiary Ammo?

anything available for 12ga? turn a 7.62 round into a sabo?

heck i know you can get it in pistol format for as small as a 9mm

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    either one will stop them all

take your pick

Attachments

• metalstorm.jpg
      metalstorm.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 63
    • mk45shot.jpg