Ultimate Member
    July 1913 and October 1913.

21a4841119515ea948795b8db14ee4e0.jpg

ca5236ffa860ae76b5cacdb4f0f7a871.jpg

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for all the info everyone! Don't worry--I'm not going to do anything to change the rifle. I did all the cleaning I'll ever do. I simply gave it a spray down with ballistol, let it sit for about ten minutes, and then wiped it down with a shop cloth. I swabbed the bore with a few patches and used a nylon brush to scrub the bolt assembly and metal interior a little bit (nothing harsh). I also used a little balistol on the bayonet and scabbard. So now it's clean, has a thin coat of balistol to help preserve it, the swiss-cosmoline equivalent smell is mostly gone and all of the dents and dings of history are well retained. And now it's sitting happy in my safe.

I spent a long time on swiss rifles last night while killing time between some meetings. Great info! I'll get that plate off as soon as I get the opportunity later this week and post a picture. Thank you again for all the help!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    That is a steal! I paid that much for one 12 years ago. Nice ones like that are going $500+ these days. Take a look at the last shipment Simpson's Ltd got in from Switzerland.
    It's got character and they are great shooters as well as collectors' items.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Here it is with the butt plate removed. I don’t see anything of significance.

Attachments

• A5CF08C1-B487-471B-80C9-71021F267447.jpg
      A5CF08C1-B487-471B-80C9-71021F267447.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 132

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Just wanted to give this thread a bump in case anyone knows the significance of there being no markings under the butt plate. Or maybe there is a marking there and I don't know what to look for?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Might be my imagination, but I definitely see a "6" and something in front of it; maybe a "2"?
    Maybe it's upside down and really a "9"?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Consider using the old trick of pulling a fresh sheet of white paper over the area and gently rubbing/shading a graphite pencil across the paper in an effort to see the embossing.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks- I didn't know what I was looking for. Now that I know it's just a number or two, I'll take another look and try that shading technique. Will report back.

I shot it yesterday again. I'm not the world's greatest marksman but I was putting 2 inch groups of 6 at 50 yards. Once I figured out where to hold (about 6 inches low at 50 yards), I was tearing up the bullseye.

I then moved to a 100 yard target. I didn't measure but I got about 4 inch groups. With more practice I could probably tighten that up. The sights are dead on windage wise. And since the elevation starts at 300 M, I've just got to memorize where to hold for these shots. I'm planning to take this deer hunting this fall. The cartridge seems perfect for deer. It's a lot of weight, so I'll have to remember to bring a screw in hook for my tree so I don't have to hold that beast for hours in the cold weather. I'll definitely post a picture with the rifle and a harvested deer if opportunity comes my way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom