• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I thought I would just relay a good experience we had at Catoctin Fish and Game lart night. They are open to the public for Trap shooting on Thursday nights and I have been a couple times in the past. My wife and a couple friends said they were interested in going and I double checked they were open.

It was a beautiful night last night and 4 of us arrived at the same time while the 5th was running behind. I quickly found out no one in our group of 4 had ever shot trap in a formal setting. Our 5th was the only other person who had done this.

Unfortunately I am terrible with names so do not remember the guys who helped out but they helped a lot. My friends wife had never actually shot a shotgun before and they were eager to help and even found her a shotgun to shoot so we could all go together. My wife had a little experience and we reviewed firearm safety and functions of the shotgun prior to going. Of course once she was standing in front of a bunch of people remembering operation of the shotgun was strait out the window. She did remain conscious of where it was pointing at all times and no safety issues came up. The RSOs there kept a close eye on them but also provided many tips to help improve it and really made this an enjoyable experience.

We will definitely head back for another Thursday night but she wants to look at something that fits her a little better so looks like we will be shopping for a youth sized 20ga. What a great experience with www.cfgpa.org and the staff there really made the night.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Thought I'd bump this--- Went to the Catoctin Fish and Game Trap range last night with my son and a good friend from work. We usually shoot trap at Mt Airy IWL---(which is a fine range in and of itself and we always have a great shoot when we go there but I digress). I've been wanting to go this range for last couple of years but never seemed to get there. Bottom line--- I'll definitely be returning on a much more regular basis. We had a great time and enjoyed the evenings shooting. Very nice range in a sweet location. Little grill action going on with burgers, fries, dogs etc... Great place to spend an enjoyable evening. Best part (unlike the range in Mt Airy) it's only 10 minutes from my front porch. Yep... I'll be back...with as many friends as care to come along.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I watched the 5 stand get built but haven't seen anyone shoot off it yet, is there a 5 stand night?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom