• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I noticed on the way home that there is a "Coming Soon" sign out in front of the now closed Wilson Enis sports building. Southbound side of Rt. 4 just north of Plum Point Rd. It is not my favorite store but does carry the dog food brand I buy for the boys. At least we will have another store to shop at. Now if we could please get a Popeyes and Chick-fil-a in Calvert, I would be happy.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I like tractor supply so I am glad to hear this!

and I also wish for a chick fil a and popeyes is my favorite chicken so what do we have to do to get them in calvert?

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I like tractor supply so I am glad to hear this!

and I also wish for a chick fil a and popeyes is my favorite chicken so what do we have to do to get them in calvert?

Buy a franchise?... :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Less of a drive, so that's good by me. Got tired of driving over to La Plata or down to Waysons Corner.

And I'll second the Popeyes or Chick fil a, the KFC in P.F. sucks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Picked up a pair of general use work-boots there, holding up pretty decently - and after a day of wearing in, pretty comfortable too.

I normally end up there because I know they have something I'm looking for.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Don't get your hopes up about the ChicFila, I've heard rumors that a few people have tried but they said that PF isn't big enough. Don't know why, I think it would do a killing in PF

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    A Tractor Supply opened in Glen Burnie not that long ago. When I heard it was opening, I couldn't wait! My wife and I went down there about four months after they opened. What a disappointment. My wife was looking for (horse) riding clothes. Very little women's clothing inventory, and what they did have was for the skinny girls. The tool section looked and smelled just like Harbor Freight. No real big toys (as in tractors) except a few riding lawn mowers.
    The TS store I visit when I am in Texas is much more impressive.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The tool section looked and smelled just like Harbor Freight. No real big toys (as in tractors) except a few riding lawn mowers.
    The TS store I visit when I am in Texas is much more impressive.

Walmart for hobby farmers. Even for that they dont really have a good selection. Most of the tools and parts is cheap chinese stuff.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    That TS store will be larger than any I've seen. Also parking is horrible at this location.

Don't get your hopes up about the ChicFila, I've heard rumors that a few people have tried but they said that PF isn't big enough. Don't know why, I think it would do a killing in PF

Most people live at either end of the county not the middle.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Would love chick Fila in either PF or Lusby ! And would be great to have a tractor supply there !!

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    From what I have heard from long time locals, county good ole' boys control what comes to the county. Who owns the KFC must be padding the wallet of somebody to keep Chick-Fil-a out, and Popeyes, too. Somebody said some silly rule about red roofs?? I also heard that the people that own the St. Mary's Chick-Fil-a actually live in Calvert and want to open here in the county.
    Just counting down the years till retirement, and beat feet south out of this state.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    From what I have heard from long time locals, county good ole' boys control what comes to the county. Just counting down the years till retirement, and beat feet south out of this state.

Morning, Capt! (congrats on the pending retirement; it is worth the wait and effort!)

Wellllll, that was certainly true years, perhaps even as much as a decade ago; however; "the good ol' boy" system within Calvert County has pretty much completed fragmentation via obit and burial. Compounded by the wave of folks moving in over the course of (at least) 2 or 3 real estate bubbles (one isolated pretty much only to Calvert County itself) and completing transformation of the county from agriculture to a bedroom community county; advent of the internet and social media AND completion of gerrymandering MD into a one-party state run whose direction has long been determined by noodle-fists out of Annapolis, Baltimore, PG, Montgomery, etc. No, the "good ol' boys" in Calvert County have been replaced by bureaucrats and planners in Prince Frederick and County Commissioners whose blood lines no longer run anywhere, let alone "deep" in old families here but, residents still have the ears and elbows of their County gov't (a good thing, of course). There is some truth to the "no red roof" thing but, I don't pretend to even know its origin or even if anyone in the Prince Frederick planning offices now are aware of it. (Talking to longtiome County emnployees, it always struck me as one of those things or even rumors that got started and no one could really trace it's start, let alone any 'validity' to what it was all about. But, it was a novel thing to mention and we all loved (love?) it!)

Research where you settle, well, of course. We are in the process of completing our post-retirement move south and, obviously, there are places where the present-day "good ol' boy" system can still shock the conscience. (I thought I knew what 'political power' was until observing just how powerful the Sheriff is, in nearly every county in NC.)

But, you're right; every year you count IS WORTH IT!

Best o' Success! :thumbsup:

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Morning, Capt! (congrats on the pending retirement; it is worth the wait and effort!)

Wellllll, that was certainly true years, perhaps even as much as a decade ago; however; "the good ol' boy" system within Calvert County has pretty much completed fragmentation via obit and burial. Compounded by the wave of folks moving in over the course of (at least) 2 or 3 real estate bubbles (one isolated pretty much only to Calvert County itself) and completing transformation of the county from agriculture to a bedroom community county; advent of the internet and social media AND completion of gerrymandering MD into a one-party state run whose direction has long been determined by noodle-fists out of Annapolis, Baltimore, PG, Montgomery, etc. No, the "good ol' boys" in Calvert County have been replaced by bureaucrats and planners in Prince Frederick and County Commissioners whose blood lines no longer run anywhere, let alone "deep" in old families here but, residents still have the ears and elbows of their County gov't (a good thing, of course). There is some truth to the "no red roof" thing but, I don't pretend to even know its origin or even if anyone in the Prince Frederick planning offices now are aware of it. (Talking to longtiome County emnployees, it always struck me as one of those things or even rumors that got started and no one could really trace it's start, let alone any 'validity' to what it was all about. But, it was a novel thing to mention and we all loved (love?) it!)

Research where you settle, well, of course. We are in the process of completing our post-retirement move south and, obviously, there are places where the present-day "good ol' boy" system can still shock the conscience. (I thought I knew what 'political power' was until observing just how powerful the Sheriff is, in nearly every county in NC.)

But, you're right; every year you count IS WORTH IT!

Best o' Success! :thumbsup:

Why can't this happen to Miller

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Most people live at either end of the county not the middle.

So, if this is true, somebody explain to me why kids that live off of Clay Hammond Road just off of Dares Beach Road (Prince Frederick) go to Huntingtown High School when Calvert High is on Dares Beach Road?

Calvert is 2 miles away, Huntingtown is 8. Oh, and by the way the bus goes right by Calvert on the way to Rt. 4 to go to Huntingtown!! :wtf:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had a bad experience with service at a Tractor Supply - the store manager, no less. I sent in emails about and got nowhere - not even an apology. At this point I wouldn't spend someone else's money in there, much less mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom