• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    So I recently bought all the parts and had a smith put an AR15 together for me. After the first range trip, I realized that the extractor pin on my spikes bolt was stuck. They ended up sending me a new bolt. The BCM barrel now has 200 rounds on it.

If you were me, would you take the rifle to a smith and pay them to check head-space before shooting? Would you just shoot it? Would you do something else?

I didn't check head-space the first time because based on what I read it is prudent, but not necessary when parts are from quality manufactures and all new. I'm not sure what to do this time. I would rather not spend the money, but I don't want my new gun blowing up either.

Please advise. Thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Anytime a new bolt head is installed the headspace should be checked. The headspace should be checked every 5k rounds as well IMO.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So I recently bought all the parts and had a smith put an AR15 together for me. After the first range trip, I realized that the extractor pin on my spikes bolt was stuck. They ended up sending me a new bolt. The BCM barrel now has 200 rounds on it.

If you were me, would you take the rifle to a smith and pay them to check head-space before shooting? Would you just shoot it? Would you do something else?

I didn't check head-space the first time because based on what I read it is prudent, but not necessary when parts are from quality manufactures and all new. I'm not sure what to do this time. I would rather not spend the money, but I don't want my new gun blowing up either.

Please advise. Thanks.

What's cheaper, a trip to a smith or a new gun which is now on the banned list.;)

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Sucks! I should have raised the cost of this with Spikes. Seems like they should have paid for it since they originally sold me a lemon. Gunsmiths around me tend to be expensive for even minor things.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Depends on how busy the smith is. At Scotts its a drop off as he is way too busy to stop to do jobs like that on demand.

IMO a shooter should own their own gauges for any gun they shoot. IMO not owning headspace gauges Its like owning a car that you can't access the engine to check fluid levels and needing a mechanic to do so.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    From the videos I've seen, it looks like it just takes a few minutes.

The bolt has to be stripped to check the headspace. For the AR that means removing the ejector.

The job in itself is not really the time consumer, its clearing your bench of a job your working on, possibly loosing parts, then setting your previous work back up. Also answering 20 mins of questions the customer has about his "5 minute" job that often takes a bit longer. A good gunsmith does a once over to check all safeties and function of a gun they check headspace on. Then you get people who want to argue ovwr the price when they are complete strangers.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Headspace...

Well normally, yes any change in bolt, check headspace. That said, if you read what most people post, most never check headspace on an AR15. Think of all the parts kits sold that get turned into working rifles at home when they add a receiver. Since the bolt is not numbered to the gun, you don't know if the rifle had the bolt changed out or not. How many issues do you hear about? I would guess a very large portion never get checked. A lot say, so long as you have parts made by a reputable manufacture, you should be ok. There is a lot to read on the subject with opinions all over the place on ARs. Checking is a safe bet for sure, but its not free.

If you like the AR platform, it might be worth getting a Go, No-Go gauge yourself. Probably save you money after a few checks.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Depends on how busy the smith is. At Scotts its a drop off as he is way too busy to stop to do jobs like that on demand.

IMO a shooter should own their own gauges for any gun they shoot. IMO not owning headspace gauges Its like owning a car that you can't access the engine to check fluid levels and needing a mechanic to do so.

Do you have a specific gauge you recommend? As my Ar harem grows I need to acquire the tools to service it.

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    Just as an idea, what if we chip in and get a set of community gauge. We can start a thead to track who has it and pass it on as needed.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IMO a field gauge and a go gauge are needed. I don't suggest using tape on go gauges as it compresses easily and unless you depth gauge the taped gauge you don't know the accurate reading with tape.

I have seen a lot of ARs fail headspace tests. Even Tier 1 manufacturers. The ones who say its not needed are speaking from inexperience.

I wouldn't loan my gauges to anyone. They can be messed up with improper use.

I'm not looking for business, I'm passing along advice. If people think I'm going to care if they ignore me and blow their preban ar up and scar their face then the jokes on them.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Buy a headspace gauge and check it yourself. Both will likely cost the same, but this way you can check it yourself on your own time, any time in the future, and learn more about your rifle.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Buy a headspace gauge and check it yourself. Both will likely cost the same, but this way you can check it yourself on your own time, any time in the future, and learn more about your rifle.
    That makes sense, but I need to get it done before this weekend. I'm not sure I have time to figure out what I need, get it shipped, and how to do it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Scotts charges 35 per gun with a safety inspection. IMO your better off buying 2 gauges for about 75 and having unlimited access to them.

You don't need a smith to check the headspace. Just tear down the bolt head, clean the bolt lugs, bolt face, chamber and barrel extension and use the gauge.

Wipe the gauges down good after use as oils from humans tend to cause the gauges to rust.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to help those willing to listen.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    IMO a field gauge and a go gauge are needed. I don't suggest using tape on go gauges as it compresses easily and unless you depth gauge the taped gauge you don't know the accurate reading with tape.

I have seen a lot of ARs fail headspace tests. Even Tier 1 manufacturers. The ones who say its not needed are speaking from inexperience.

I wouldn't loan my gauges to anyone. They can be messed up with improper use.

I'm not looking for business, I'm passing along advice. If people think I'm going to care if they ignore me and blow their preban *3 up and scar their face then the jokes on them.

I LOLed... I'm in a weird mood this morning :D

I'll be getting gauges from PTG, I was planning on ordering bottom metal from them anyway. :thumbsup:

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    I'm not trying to hijack but after reading these posts I have a question that is similar to the op's. I just received an upper from psa without bcg or ch but I did purchase their full auto bolt ang got a bcm gunfighter ch. Should I check headspace even if the upper and bcg are both from psa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom