• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I know nothing... and I mean nothing about them, other than I think they fire on the pull and the release.... that is the sum total of my expertise.

I've never really wanted to buy one, so I never educated myself on them.... but now... am thinking about perhaps picking one up and putting it in the safe. Can I get a binary-triggers-for-dummies crash course from the MDS brain-trust, please? What to look for... what's a good price... good maker... how easy are they to install... etc.?

Thanks.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Hmmm...

If I wanted to know, I'd click the search button, click advanced search, then enter a term like "echo", "franklin", or maybe "trigger". I'd think that would bring up a thread or two.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    they are fun

I have echos but I hear franklins are easier to install and don't require specialty parts but since I don't have any of them I cant really say

faster learning curve than bumpstocks, imo, and nothing hanging on the outside of your rifle to see.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I have had the Fostech Echo and the Franklin Armory triggers in the recent past and to be honest I hated both of them. They were finicky and didn't always work as intended. I have since found that my Giessele SD3G with basic trigger practice shoots just as fast and is an amazingly crisp single shot for target shooting.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I own several Fostech BFS3 triggers. They are a blast to shoot. No proprietary bolt required to use them. It comes with a heavier buffer spring to help keep you from getting hammer follow. I have never managed to outrun mine, but I use suppressors so my guns are somewhat overgassed.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    I believe the new echos (the echo 2) do not need proprietary parts. Gymratz had the franklins for sale awhile back for $400 I think.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    2 companies make them . Franklin calls theirs binary. It works pretty well , has the nicer of the 2 with trigger pull. Uses a heavier buffer spring to help keep you from out running the action. It works great on a 9mm application!! But I have seen them get out run on a .556 application and have hammer follow . When that happens the gun has to be cleared, and new round chambered.if your not trying to go nuts on speed these are nice units!

The Fostech has the echo trigger. . It has a added lever to keep from over running that works great, but takes a little getting used to. The trigger has a longer travel and needs to be pulled all the way rearward to have the action work properly. If you do over run the trigger, you only need to squeeze the trigger again. They are more difficult to install. And need additional work done to the bolt carrier to be used on a 9mm application. The gen 2 is the 1 that uses the m16 carrier. They work flawless once you get use to the mushy, and long travel.in my opinion worth more money for its reliability . You can uses both of them like a 2 Rd burst and get pretty good with them fast .

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Get the Franklin. The one I have runs well with both 5.56 and .22 uppers, and it's an absolute blast with .22. Also a decent trigger pull. I have had no issues with it. It does stick out oddly too far on both sides of the receiver however.

I had no interest in one until the recent regulation, either. But now that I have one, it's way cheaper than a tax stamp item and almost as fun.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Get the Franklin. The one I have runs well with both 5.56 and .22 uppers, and it's an absolute blast with .22. Also a decent trigger pull. I have had no issues with it. It does stick out oddly too far on both sides of the receiver however.

I had no interest in one until the recent regulation, either. But now that I have one, it's way cheaper than a tax stamp item and almost as fun.

I found that it took some time and work to get my echo reliably with a .22 upper. It’s still not 100 And very dependent on what ammo I use. It runs very well with my 9mm uppers but takes some rather significant bolt modifications to open up the center channel of a 9mm bolt.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I dropped the trigger in a lower and it ran 100% with both an SBR 5.56 upper (that it's engraved for) and a 20" .22 CMMG upper. I haven't tried my 16" CMMG upper yet.

Ammo used was a mix of Federal, Armscor, and CCI Standard for .22 in various mags.

Franklin states .22 and 5.56 compatibility, Fostech does not. That was a selling point for me as I shoot a lot of .22, but I have no experience with Fostech to compare.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    What is the current read on the potential rapid fire trigger actuator MD law? Do we think that binary triggers are going to remain legal?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Franklin works on AR platform .22 ( tested on PSA 16" 22 upper as well as CMMG conversion on a 10.5" upper) and .223/.556. It also works on 9mm AR.

Fostech echo works on the Std AR bolt for .223/.556. For .22lr conversion you need to buy additional parts for it to work. I have not tried one on a 9mm AR.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What is the current read on the potential rapid fire trigger actuator MD law? Do we think that binary triggers are going to remain legal?

Only if it gets amended before final passage. Binary triggers are in there as banned items as currently written.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IMO, Franklin is to be avoided. Fostec Echo II is the one to get.

Binary Triggers withour a safety sear are dangerous (Franklin), using one in a blowback is tempting fate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom