• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    3 years ago, you could find a nice M1896 in the $300-$350 range almost at every auction. Lately, I haven't seen a nice one go for less than $450 online at least. Swedish Mausers seem to be hot among collectors right now. There are enough out there that it might be better to spend the extra $100 to get once that isn't a parts gun.

Here's a lot of information about them: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

I didn’t even pay that for mine, haha. For what I paid for this one, you might as well said I stole it. Every once in a while you get lucky.
    But, of course it’s not a matching gun.
    Also that link you posted is the one I got most of my info from. There is a lot of info on that site.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I didn’t even pay that for mine, haha. For what I paid for this one, you might as well said I stole it. Every once in a while you get lucky.

But, of course it’s not a matching gun.

Also that link you posted is the one I got most of my info from. There is a lot of info on that site.

I guess it really depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a collector’s piece that will appreciate significantly in value, then you really do want a matching, unmolested* gun. If you want a nice shooter and you don’t really care about matching, condition, etc., then you might as well find the cheapest one you can find.

In my experience, many M1896s have replacement barrels. Not a big deal. Also, check the underside of the wrist on the stock to see how much work has been done.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Numrich has taller new front sites in various heights. I bought the tallest and then filed it down to zero at 100 yards. That can be either a chore or a fun afternoon at the range. You can keep the original site for collector's purposes. Too bad they don't have a trapdoor buttplate to keep it in. I use an old MAF bag and hang it on the barrel with a rubber band in the safe.
    Best of both worlds that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom