• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I'm looking at a property that borders a high voltage power line. Assuming I shoot a deer on my property but it runs out under the lines, do I need to get BGE permission or notify to go get it?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm looking at a property that borders a high voltage power line. Assuming I shoot a deer on my property but it runs out under the lines, do I need to get BGE permission or notify to go get it?

Not sure what the law is on that, but if you had a deer run onto park property, you had better call them before going in.

Power lines, if near a residential area, maybe call someone. If it's out in the boonies, I'd probably just drag the deer back to my land without causing a fuss.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Aren't power lines usually on a right of way through private property?

They all seem to have different rules. Some you can hunt in, some are posted, some are farmed while others are open to public foot traffic. I've never seen armed guards patrolling them. If I were to persue downed game in one, I would definitely NOT bring my gun with me.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Not sure what the law is on that, but if you had a deer run onto park property, you had better call them before going in.

Power lines, if near a residential area, maybe call someone. If it's out in the boonies, I'd probably just drag the deer back to my land without causing a fuss.

I'm in the just drag it back boat, but I was wondering on the actual legalities.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I hunt on a property in S. MD that has high power lines running thru it. We are allowed to cross under the lines at any time to access the other side of the property.
    It is in our hunting lease. ymmv

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I hunt on a property in S. MD that has high power lines running thru it. We are allowed to cross under the lines at any time to access the other side of the property.
    It is in our hunting lease. ymmv
    Landlocked properties.. that's typical. If there is is no other ways to access the divided land... the utility co will have it written when the r-o-w was created.

Op:
    To be safe... look at the recorded deed on it. Worst is call the power company.

Ethical way is not to hunt near or at the edge of the property unless you got all the info you need to properly collect your harvest if it goes in the r-o-w/adj property.

If it does.. what we tell our student is to minimum.. call dnr/nrp and tell them the situation. Ie. You shot the deer and the adjoining property didn't give you permission to retrieve.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Leave your firearm at home and retrieve the animal, its only ethical. I am pretty sure BGE won't trespass you but as others have suggested get permission before you hunt.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As long as BGE has not posted the edge of the property as no trespassing, you can walk onto unfenced land. Nobody has given me a good answer whether retrieving injured game is 'hunting' that requires express permission.

My land borders a Pepco ROW. I actually have the deeded right to farm and control access to the land up to the midline of the powerline. That's recorded as an easement on the utility owned ROW. So sometimes things are even more complicated than just 'who owns the land'.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    My property in WV has power lines cutting across it and the rest of it runs through the neighbors property. The old man used to tell me one of his boys would climb the tower to the first "landing" and use it as a deer stand. Never saw it but wouldn't put it past him.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Landlocked properties.. that's typical. If there is is no other ways to access the divided land... the utility co will have it written when the r-o-w was created.

Op:
    To be safe... look at the recorded deed on it. Worst is call the power company.

Ethical way is not to hunt near or at the edge of the property unless you got all the info you need to properly collect your harvest if it goes in the r-o-w/adj property.

If it does.. what we tell our student is to minimum.. call dnr/nrp and tell them the situation. Ie. You shot the deer and the adjoining property didn't give you permission to retrieve.

Hell, I've tracked wounded deer thousands of yards from where I shot them(nobody's perfect) to retrieve them.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    Power lines have been handled many ways. In our case, the farm land was sold to the power company. We have the right to farm the land and access for agricultural purposes. The power company has total access to the power lines but we have control over other access to the property. This includes game related issues. I've never stopped someone from retrieving a deer but please do not hunt without permission. It is posted. Power companies have also purchased right of ways only and not the property. In that case, the property is still owned by the landowner. I know of one place where the power company only owns the land where the tower sets. It is actually fenced and posted that way. Bottom line is that there is no clear answer without knowing the details of the agreements between the landowner and the power company. Sorry to muddy the waters.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Power lines have been handled many ways. In our case, the farm land was sold to the power company. We have the right to farm the land and access for agricultural purposes. The power company has total access to the power lines but we have control over other access to the property. This includes game related issues. I've never stopped someone from retrieving a deer but please do not hunt without permission. It is posted. Power companies have also purchased right of ways only and not the property. In that case, the property is still owned by the landowner. I know of one place where the power company only owns the land where the tower sets. It is actually fenced and posted that way. Bottom line is that there is no clear answer without knowing the details of the agreements between the landowner and the power company. Sorry to muddy the waters.

Actually, I think you helped clarify in a way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And it is even more confusing in some places like Patuxent park, where high voltage lines run along the edge of the park for a good long distance, but the park itself is definitely posted only in the tree line. I wouldn't hunt those power lines, but I certainly use them for access and based on the trails running along them, plenty of hunters and horse riders (seen a few of both too) use them for access. Heck, I've found plenty of #8, 7.5 and 6 shells laying on of off the paths along the power lines there. A couple of empty slug hulls too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom