• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I have a safe problem. On one side of the safe I have long guns such as shotguns, long rifles and on the other side I have carbines; ARs, ak's etc and some of the over flow from the long gun side. The carbine sides barrels I have secured by inserting a piece of wood on the bracket so the carbines sit high enough for the barrels can secure to the holders. It worked for a while but now I'm acquiring more carbines and long guns it's just not working out. Anyone have the same problem? If so please offer me some insight.

I can rebuild my interior but don't want to use the wrong size screws to compromise the fire protection. Is this ok or could I do this and am just being paronoid?

Are there any websites you can offer that sell more brackets or individual shelfing you can give me?

Last edited:

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    The fire protection in your safe is home depot drywall...so I don't think you'll compromise anything by putting some screws in. The gypsum offgasses water (steam) when superheated, cooling the interior.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks, I know its just drywall. Any idea how thick it is? What size or length screws I can use?

Depends on the fire rating. I
    Think mine has 3 layers of 5/8" (been a while since I've been into it like that). And a 1200 for 1.5 hour rating. If you're gonna screw into it, just make sure you use the plastic anchors, and if you're worried about compromising the rating, home depot sells 3m fire rated caulk. I used some of that in mine.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Depends on the fire rating. I
    Think mine has 3 layers of 5/8" (been a while since I've been into it like that). And a 1200 for 1.5 hour rating. If you're gonna screw into it, just make sure you use the plastic anchors, and if you're worried about compromising the rating, home depot sells 3m fire rated caulk. I used some of that in mine.

Nice. Didnt know about the caulking.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not all fire proofing on safes is drywall. Better safes use ceramic.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Yea. This one is not one of the better ones. That's how I know it's drywall. I'll get the big expensive safe when I move into the next house. This will have to do for now.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Thanks, I know its just drywall. Any idea how thick it is? What size or length screws I can use?

Measure the outside of the safe from left to right.

Measure the inside of the safe from left to right.

Subtract the inside measurement from the outside measurement.

Subtract about 1/4" to 1/2" (depending on the thickness of the steel on both sides) from that.

Divide that in half.

That should get you close

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    h2u,
    Thanks for posting that link, I never thought of building a little shelf in the bottom to lift up short .22 rifles, I just stuck small down rods in the barrel to extend them to the rack top, but I like the idea for the shelf instead. I ran out of room as well, I did a DIY project for my handguns that I got off of YouTube because I didn't like the door pouches.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i have the same problem with my liberty safe accept i only have one rifle that is "too short" i have thought about taking out the entire center piece to cut off an inch or two and make carbines fit.......but i havent yet since i only have one rifle that wont fit. for now i just use a magpul accesories box to make it fit.

john

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I just used the standard rifle rests for the barrel, sit the stock of the carbines on the floor like a rifle and insert a wooden dowel into the barrel and lean it into the barrel rack. Works for the 6 carbines I have....

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    i took my extra gun slot covers and put them in the bottom to raise the short guns

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom