• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I picked up some wheel weights today. The weights at the bottom of the bucket were sitting in some oil and water(probably 1/4 of the bucket). What would be the best way to prep them for smelting? Should I just dry them then melt them down or wash them off first? I live in a townhome and I'm worried about totally pissing the neighbors off when I smelt oil covered weights. :o

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Water and hot lead are a bad mix. The water quickly turns to steam and expands as it does pushing hot lead around. 700 degree molting metal is not fun when it is flying around and landing all over you.

If you choose to wash them off, dry them well.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I was thinking of splitting the bucket up into quarters then putting that into the smelting pot. As the whole pot heats it should dry them. Or is that wishful thinking? I've seen the tinsel fairy before but not up close. Don't really want to either...

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Clean them, wash them DRY THEM. Put the ones that were in the bottom of the bucket in cold pot first and let them melt in an empty pot rather than add them to a pot of melted lead. My opinion only.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I should have been more specific. I was going to put them in the pot cold then heat them up. I might even lower the heat so it gets to temp slower. Will oil on the weights cause any problems with liquid lead?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The oil will smoke. Do not get water in a pot of molten lead, it will spit violently back at you. Make sure your weights are completly dry before you melt them down - they dont have to be spotless clean.

The wheel weights are going to stink no matter what- especially if you have painted, or plastic coated ones.The stick on lead weights work, but the glue backing stink to high hell. It might not hurt to sort your weights. If you see "Zn" stamping on them - they are Zinc weights, shitcan those. If you see "FE" stamped on the weight - they are steel. Scrape those too. You should be able to cut into the weight a pair of cutters if they are lead alloy.

Also make sure you flux your pot before you cast into ingots, if your going to do that. Small piece of an old candle, or even crayola will work. I use Gulf Wax, which is found in the canning sections of food marts. Sometimes it is with Jello & canned fruit section of grocery stores. Inexpensive, and one box will last you forever. Just watch your face when you flux- the wax sometimes ignites into flames (which is not a bad thing) when you drop it into the pot, but it wont make the lead spit. Make sure you stir the pot before you start dropping ingots or bullets when you flux.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Yup. Townhouse was correct. Why would that be a problem?

If I was 5 miles south on Bel Air Rd, it would be a rowhome...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You don't need anything harsh to clean weights, just soap and hot water work fine, rinse them in small batches in a strainer, the hoter the water, the more thoroughly it evaporates. Wheel weights can be problematic for casting, different companies use different alloys, and some weights are zinc instead of lead(they float). I used an old cast iron pot on a burner outside to melt the weights down and burn off any coatings, then scoop the clips out, skip the residue off, and add some wax to flux, and cast a couple test ignots. From there you can test harnessand add lead or linotype to get it right before casting ingots. I would ONLY use these clean ingots in my casting pot, dirt from the weights can clog the spout, or crud up the pot and possibly cause casting issues. When you want to cast some slugs, just drop an ingot or two in the casting pot and go to town, very little odor, and you only need to clean excess flux out every few runs. You still want to cast with plenty of ventilation or prefferably outside, lead eposure happens slowly, so casting for an hour or few is relatively safe, but lead dust from stored lead, or vapor residue in your home stick around far longer, and can cause problems over time.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    dawn

You have several options.
    Wash them in dawn dishwashing liquid and let dry before melting.
    Lay them out and let water dry and them clean them in solvent and let dry before melting.
    Run them thru an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. No matter how you do it, be certain as others have stated, that they are DRY before putting them into molten lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom