• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I went to Bass Pro Shops in Hanover today and at 11:30 they still have a good selection of most ammo. I saw everything but 9mm. But now for the interesting. They had Federal 55gr 556 100 rounds in a box for $69.99. The last time I checked, which wasn't that long ago, you could get a 300 round box for 89.99. That is a pretty big price jump. The better deal was Hornady Frontier 55gr 556 20 round box for $10.99. That's 5 boxes for 100 rounds for $55. $15 cheap than the Federal. And I like the Hornady better. I really haven't been following 556 prices to much lately. Is this Federal raising their prices or Bass Pro? I think it's Federal.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    That is interesting (and I’d also choose Hornady hands-down over Federal, any day).

That said, I stopped trying to figure out or make sense of anything Federal-munitions-related since they singlehandedly invoked the Large Pistol Primer shortage of the late 80’s / early 90’s ...

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Supply and demand, probably BOTH are gouging but the retailer the most. Raw materials dealers have probably cashed in on the demand as well.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I went to Bass Pro Shops in Hanover today and at 11:30 they still have a good selection of most ammo. I saw everything but 9mm. But now for the interesting. They had Federal 55gr 556 100 rounds in a box for $69.99. The last time I checked, which wasn't that long ago, you could get a 300 round box for 89.99. That is a pretty big price jump. The better deal was Hornady Frontier 55gr 556 20 round box for $10.99. That's 5 boxes for 100 rounds for $55. $15 cheap than the Federal. And I like the Hornady better. I really haven't been following 556 prices to much lately. Is this Federal raising their prices or Bass Pro? I think it's Federal.

Are you sure 100 rounds? Few weeks ago, I bought 150 rounds box for 89.99 at Cabelas.

Several of us said this was going to happen- once their standing contracts ended, they would be in the same boat as the "small" guys.
    Most LGS' buy ammo from distributors as needed. The big guys: Cabelas/Bass Pro, Walmart, Dicks, et al. had contracts in place directly with the manufacturers. They would buy X number of pallets for Y dollars at a frequency of Z days/weeks/months. The manufacturers were obligated to supply them before the smaller companies who didn't have standing contracts. I would bet money their pre panic contract with Federal ended.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Wasn't that long ago, 1998, that I could get a brick of .22 LR for $6.99. Damn hoarders and gougers:sad20:

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Ammo isn't of much use when people don't use it. Blabbing on forums all day, every day doesn't give you much range time.

_pdp_sq_

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Several of us said this was going to happen- once their standing contracts ended, they would be in the same boat as the "small" guys.
    Most LGS' buy ammo from distributors as needed. The big guys: Cabelas/Bass Pro, Walmart, Dicks, et al. had contracts in place directly with the manufacturers. They would buy X number of pallets for Y dollars at a frequency of Z days/weeks/months. The manufacturers were obligated to supply them before the smaller companies who didn't have standing contracts. I would bet money their pre panic contract with Federal ended.

Although unsubstantiated on my end, I too believe this to be the case.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IMO, if they are getting regular shipments and ammo is flying off the shelves, they need to raise prices. Otherwise you have the rationing we have now.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Are you sure 100 rounds? Few weeks ago, I bought 150 rounds box for 89.99 at Cabelas.

That's the current pricing on the Winchester white box 150rd 5.56 at bass pro, just picked up a couple of boxes Thursday.

About 3-4 months ago it was $79.99 for 150, so it has gone up a bit too.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Early last fall, Vista outdoor announced there would be price increases.

It should be expected.

People can't on one hand, bitch that they should increase production, which means hiring more people and/or paying overtime and working machines harder, and then on the other hand bitch about modest price increases when they do.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Wasn't that long ago, 1998, that I could get a brick of .22 LR for $6.99. Damn hoarders and gougers:sad20:

23 years may seem like 'not that long ago' to us old farts... but that's a whole person who can drink's lifetime ago. Plus 2 years.

It's all about perspective. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom