• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They were in stock last night when I ordered 500 to try out.

So sure went fast.

So you were the guy...:D

I have a feeling the ones I listed are gone too but I haven't check. My Rock River loves those 62g Hornadays. Sub MOA accuracy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So you were the guy...:D

I have a feeling the ones I listed are gone too but I haven't check. My Rock River loves those 62g Hornadays. Sub MOA accuracy.

I need to figure out something a 16” .223 likes.

One of these weeks I am going to sit down and figure it out. I know, I know, but once cry once. But I’ve got a stoner, a BCA and a Classic 16” nitrided fluted HBAR barrel and just can’t get a one to shoot for anything. Tried two different BCG. They all headspace properly. Honestly the only thing I can think of is the upper or the barrel nut (and I’ve tried lapping the upper). I’ve measured everything I can think of and everything is within spec.

Could just be I’ve got 3 cheap crap barrels, but the best any can manage is 2.5MOA with Hornady black 75gr. Commodity ammo is around 4-5. My 62gr Armscor hand loads are about 3-3.5MOA.

I don’t need a 1MOA 16”. I’ve got a 20” that does that just fine. But at least with match Ammo I’d like it around or under 1.5 and better than 4 with plinking ammo.

Anyway. I got a new upper and new handguard and barrel nut. Just need to put it together.

PS no rubbing from the gas tube. Literally I can’t imagine what it is if the upper and barrel nut don’t influence the accuracy once I swap things around. At that point I am probably just going to call it quits with this project and get a Faxon barrel when one is available or just get a Faxon upper and call it a day.

Never struggled so much with any other AR build.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I need to figure out something a 16” .223 likes.

One of these weeks I am going to sit down and figure it out. I know, I know, but once cry once. But I’ve got a stoner, a BCA and a Classic 16” nitrided fluted HBAR barrel and just can’t get a one to shoot for anything. Tried two different BCG. They all headspace properly. Honestly the only thing I can think of is the upper or the barrel nut (and I’ve tried lapping the upper). I’ve measured everything I can think of and everything is within spec.

Could just be I’ve got 3 cheap crap barrels, but the best any can manage is 2.5MOA with Hornady black 75gr. Commodity ammo is around 4-5. My 62gr Armscor hand loads are about 3-3.5MOA.

I don’t need a 1MOA 16”. I’ve got a 20” that does that just fine. But at least with match Ammo I’d like it around or under 1.5 and better than 4 with plinking ammo.

Anyway. I got a new upper and new handguard and barrel nut. Just need to put it together.

PS no rubbing from the gas tube. Literally I can’t imagine what it is if the upper and barrel nut don’t influence the accuracy once I swap things around. At that point I am probably just going to call it quits with this project and get a Faxon barrel when one is available or just get a Faxon upper and call it a day.

Never struggled so much with any other AR build.
    What's the twist(s)? Sounds to me like you've cover everything else.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Just received this email, American Reloading has some bullets back in stock. Good luck. American Reloading <info@americanreloading.com>

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Just received this email, American Reloading has some bullets back in stock. Good luck. American Reloading <info@americanreloading.com>

They got a decent price on 223 55 grain pills. W/ coupon code applied, it comes out to 9.5cpr shipped. Ordering a bit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What's the twist(s)? Sounds to me like you've cover everything else.

1:8 for all of them. 62s seem to stabilize noticeably better than 55s. Well, non-M855.

But even fairly generic 62gr FMJ are more accurate than 55gr FMJ.

I haven't experimented with every load under the sun as I just haven't had the time the last 18 months or so since I was trying to troubleshoot. I think I tried 5 or 6 M193/55gr 223 loads, 2-3 M855, a couple 62gr FMJ, Hornady 55gr HPBT, Hornady 75gr Black BTHP, PPU 75gr BTHP and I think a soft point or two. I couldn't find a single one that did better than 2.5 MOA. I might have tried PPU 69gr BTHP 223 and that was also around 3MOA (all of the 55 and 62gr stuff was 4-6MOA, except the Hornady BTHP 55gr match ammo was around 3MOA).

From my 20" upper, Stoner barrel 223 Wylde barrel, is 1MOA with good ammo. A bit under for the right match ammo. About 1.5 with PPU 69 and 75gr match (which I have a lot of, because shoots very acceptably well and was cheap, last year). Generic blasting ammo it runs around 3MOA, +/-.5 depending on the brand. It loves Speer Gold Dot 75gr. Shoots 1.1MOA with it.

Anyway just sort of a head scratcher. I get cheap gets cheap results. Still surprising that I know I've made sure to assemble it correctly, checked everything I can possibly think of to check and none of the cheap 16" barrels can shoot for crap. Or something else is throwing it off. Maybe a bad barrel nut or something (IIRC each build has used the SAME upper and handguard/barrel nut for testing them. I did not build 3 separate uppers.). Seems to torque down properly, no noticeable wiggle, etc. But since I've tested pretty much everything else, seems like I need to use a brand new upper (which I have) and barrel nut/handguard.

The goal is Sig Romeo red dot optics. Which to me, a 2MOA rifle is just dandy for a 2MOA red dot. Confidence in torso hits at 300yds with blasting ammo would be nice, which means ~3MOA with commodity ammo. 400-500yds capable with premium ammo and a magnifier.

My 20" would be my go to if I want to be shooting targets at 500+yds with heavy match ammo with a scope.

I wouldn't MIND if it was a lot more accurate than 2MOA, but I'd wrap her up and put a bow on her if the 16" upper could do 2MOA with match and 3MOA with regular M193 or 55gr FMJ.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Seems like a decent (25cpr) price for subsonic 300bo boolits, cheaper than the barry's plated..

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020524516?pid=757787

limit of 500, but that should go pretty far for subs

Thanks. Doesn’t do me any good, but in checking I found they had a box of 500 left of .431” 230gr JHP seconds. Look like they are almost certainly XTP bullets.

Just under 24cpb shipped. Which is a pretty decent price even prepandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom