Jul 8, 2012

Attachments

• RhineGroupViseBlock.jpg
      RhineGroupViseBlock.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 841

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Ok, help me to understand this. Why does one need/use a buffer tube vise block?

The magazine well block is good for lots of work, but it's not a snug fit.
    The receiver extension vise block holds tighter, so you can stake the castle nut without it bouncing around. Also useful if you're trying to get the receiver extension lined up properly.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Thanks for posting up, Dutch (and confirming suitability, Clandestine).

I am in need of the best AR vise blocks I can get my hands on; when I just went to order, it said “Only 2 remaining in stock” (now only 1 left)

FWIW, The website wouldn’t accept payment via American Express (tried 2X and website reverted to blank pages saying, “Order payment declined”) so, resorted to my VISA and had success (immediately recd 2 emails from AmEx indicating my card had been used without my being present so, next week may be interesting).

Not sure how much business that vendor is actually doing nowadays; many of the links for different categories of products simply result in “404 error - webpage Not Found” generated messages ... often not a good sign or indication the business is no longer a full time pursuit ... (fingers crossed!)

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Wow, $40? Guessing because it’s machined from Delrin or something. I’m surprised no one makes an injection molded version.

Riddle me this though: the fit can’t be that critical if it works on both commercial and milspec tubes, so how is this better than clamping the receiver extension in a vise with large I.D. barrel jaws? You don’t have to clamp very tight to prevent rotation (because of the locking flange) or to prevent it from flopping around while installing a trigger or staking.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Wow, $40? Guessing because it’s machined from Delrin or something. I’m surprised no one makes an injection molded version.

Riddle me this though: the fit can’t be that critical if it works on both commercial and milspec tubes, so how is this better than clamping the receiver extension in a vise with large I.D. barrel jaws? You don’t have to clamp very tight to prevent rotation (because of the locking flange) or to prevent it from flopping around while installing a trigger or staking.

The block spreads slightly when you insert a receiver extension. It is helpful when installing the receiver extension, since the block will hold it perfectly vertical with the vise jaws. I use a nylon magazine well vise block to brace the receiver against the side of the work bench while I torque the castle nut. This ensures that the RE and the lower receiver are aligned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom