• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Good evening all,

I'll be moving to Maryland soon, and figured I'd introduce myself to fellow 2 A-ers. I'll be bringing my pregnant wife, (aren't I great..?), our lab mutt, and of course the tools.

Coming from Florida, and Michigan before that, I'm kind of used to freedom, so there's going to be some acclimation, and things I won't be able to get used to...

Lastly, looking to get final thoughts on my kits legality before I actually head up there; I fully understand that most of you aren't lawyers, but still value opinions. From what I can tell based on the poorly written laws (which gun control laws aren't...), I should be good to go.

1. I have 2 ARs; 20" 5.56 HBAR flattop reciever on a A2 stock lower, purchased prior to 2013, and 16" 300 BLK HBAR flattop receiver with a SOPMOD 4 position stock, purchased after 2013. From what I can tell, the HBAR keeps me in the clear.

2. HK USP C in .40, and the wife has a SW MP9C. Anything special here?

3. Mags - Except for a hunting mag, all are 10 rounds plus; just can't sell or buy in MD?

4. Registration - not necessary? And for new purchases, rifle or pistol, the HQL is waived as I'm active duty military?

Looking forward to learning and talking with everyone. Still picking up some of the lingo of MD, such as GA (General Assembly...), etc, so feel free to let me know when I mix that stuff up. I'll throw some pics on when I can as well, because who doesn't like that.

Thanks,

Joe

NavyMA85

Jun 11, 2013
    Saint Marys, MD
    There are several areas within reasonable distance to ft Meade that are very nice, welcome to the area when you arrive from a fellow vet (making the assumption)!

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Pretty sure you have to register the handguns within 90 days of moving into the state.

Also the only thing veteran status does is waive training requirement for HQL; you still need to get fingerprints and fill out the form. You do not need HQL to do polymer80.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Also the only thing veteran status does is waive training requirement for HQL; you still need to get fingerprints and fill out the form. You do not need HQL to do polymer80.

He's active duty, the HQL is waived entirely, not just the training. He doesn't need any of it.

This is true for any mil ID card holder (active, retired, reserve).

Your comment is correct for NON-retired vets who do not have a mil ID, their dd214 will exempt them from the training portion.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• 90FC680D-3667-4758-97CF-68CC65508733.jpeg
      90FC680D-3667-4758-97CF-68CC65508733.jpeg
      30.4 KB · Views: 133

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    Welcome... don't forget to get some (or stock up on extras) "proper" capacity mags before leaving Florida... much easier to do it while still in FL. You can bring whatever size mags you want, just can't buy any new ones in MD.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Not that I encourage anyone to move here but I’d recommend looking between Sparks and PA along 83. More of a commute but solid schools.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Welcome... don't forget to get some (or stock up on extras) "proper" capacity mags before leaving Florida... much easier to do it while still in FL. You can bring whatever size mags you want, just can't buy any new ones in MD.

Just got a 10 pack of Magpuls the other day :D in addition to the 10 or so GI mags I already have.

Thanks all. It's good to know that in spite of ridiculous laws, there's still a very involved community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom