• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm looking at 18" .308 AR-10 barrels. Some come with mid-length gas, others have rifle length.

Is there a reason to prefer one gas system length over the other, assuming both barrels are decent otherwise?

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Usually the further the gas port the less amount of gas provided the ports are the same. However they make ports different diameters to address the fact that you will get more gas pressure at shorter length. However at the same time length of barrel past port also comes into play. Suppressors also affect this as well. So as with all my AR10’s. Get an adjustable gas block, Odin Works makes some nice ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    7.62 / 308 ammo has a huge range of burn rates and pressure, more dwell time from mid-length gas can help get the big bolt moving with fast powders and anemic surplus. Running good modern commercial and new production mil-spec ammo though, you shouldn't have a problem with rifle gas, and can turn the gas down quite a bit with an adjustable block while retaining reliability, and reducing recoil and gas blowback, especially with a suppressor. Port size, ammo and bolt/barrel specs will probably matter more than gas length though.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I did a bunch of research on this and everyone seemed to be saying to go rifle length on an 18".

I used mid length (on sale) with an adjustable gas block and it shoots soft as can be with no malfunctions. All AR10s should use adjustable gas blocks in my opinion. Gas length won't really matter then.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I did a bunch of research on this and everyone seemed to be saying to go rifle length on an 18".

I used mid length (on sale) with an adjustable gas block and it shoots soft as can be with no malfunctions. All AR10s should use adjustable gas blocks in my opinion. Gas length won't really matter then.

Agree 100% - adjustable gas block is a must on large pattern ARs (and a good idea on all others)

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    I'm looking at 18" .308 AR-10 barrels. Some come with mid-length gas, others have rifle length.

Is there a reason to prefer one gas system length over the other, assuming both barrels are decent otherwise?

Either one should be fine, as long as you get an adjustable gas block (and all AR10s should have one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom