• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    This is pretty neat. No historical significance, but thought I'd share. Out of NARA in College Park.

It's interesting how the personnel knowledge on the M1903 at Springfield Armory changes rapidly.

Note in 1960 a side question came up concerning Smith-Corona 1903A3s. The Ordnance Department was asked a question concerning them and they didn't want to say "we don't know." So they reached out to Springfield Armory.

So in the reply they refer to Clark Campbells 1903 book and Hatcher's Notebook. This was in the pre-online forum or internet search days.

Easy answer, in 1960 the 1903 had been declared obsolete since 1947, the M1 Garand was also being phased out with the M14 and no one was left who really knew the M1903 anymore. So use whatever you can. The same books collectors reference today.

But I think it's neat that Springfield Armory was referencing a well known collector book for an issue. And even Clark Campbell was active on the forums. I wonder if he knew the Ordnance Department was using his work to answer a question.

No real historical significance. But still neat.

Thought I'd share, enjoy your week!

jY6lSnZ.jpg

OCxbTta.jpg

MqPQ6fz.jpg

kuBFniM.jpg

ODFUdJu.jpg

MjfgiYm.jpg

EuZ5t6Y.jpg

o4GM1Lb.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That was a pure luck find, was looking for a nice SC when I found this one. Never knew about the C prefix until after I brought it home and did some research. One of the times fortune smiled on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom