Rock Island 9mm 1911 Rock Standard opinions ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've found one of these slightly used for a fair price:

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-standard-fs-9mm/

Are they reliable enough? Are there any known problems? I don't intend to carry it, of course. The owner of this one decided to get a nicer gun so this one is available. Supposedly it has a low round count.

I've got a Colt that needed work before it was solid. I'd rather not do that again.

Thanks, Dutch

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I dont have that exact model but RIA is good to go I my opinion. Fit and finish isn't their strong suit but the guns generally run. They can be a little picky about which mags they will lock back on and as far as I know Dawson is the only company that makes a direct replacement sight without the need for a gunsmith. The oversized safety is kinda obnoxious but can be replaced fairly easily.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks for the help. I can tolerate poor finish if it runs okay.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a couple of the 45 GI models. Both run excellent. The only issue I have seen is what stsves1911 said. Mine will lock back fine with some mags and some they will not.

Other than that, rock solid pistols.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the 9mm RIA 1911 and really like it now. I had some feeding issues with it when it was new and it took two trips back to Armscor to fix it. They had a quick turn around both times. I think the fit and finish is good but I don't have any high end 1911's to compare it to. I don't think you can beat it for the money.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I don't own one but several I know have Rock Island 1911s in .45 and 10mm and all like them. These Philippine made guns are castings, not forgings but well assembled and have proven to be reliable and good values. I've thought about buying one of their 10mm offerings but haven't "pulled the trigger" yet, so to speak.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have a .45 GI model and it has been completely reliable if I shoot 230-gr FMJ and 185-gr lead SWC reloaded to ~960 fps. I also met a guy at the Izaak Walton range who had the 9mm model and he said it shot well and was reliable with the factory ammo he shot. I guess he doesn't reload as there was no mention of how reliable it was with reloads.

I bought a lighter 14 lb recoil spring to see if I can get less flip with light loads, but never got to tune the reloads to the lighter spring because winter set in and I got busy with other things. :(

The RIA 1911s are reliable and accurate guns, but they don't have the fashionability of more expensive guns. I keep mine loaded at home with 8-rd metalform magazines and is my primary handgun for home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom