• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Are there any other NSCA (National Sporting Clays Association) members on the forum? I joined earlier this year and have really enjoyed it thus far.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Used to be a member.

But don't shoot enough to want to keep it up.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'm a Life Member, but haven't shot any registered targets in many years.

The NSCA's "Peter Principle" Classfication System is the main culprit. If you are not a Master Class shooter you are always at the mercy of the wanna-bes (you know the AA/Master shooter that is working his way through the D,C, B....Classes and shooting scores that would win in the highest classes) moving up in class. If you do manage to win, you punch up in Class and are right back to feeding prize money to the wanna-bes. I do not have the desire, time, or resourses to be anything more than a solid C class, and I want to be able to compete with other shooters at my level and not be automatically moved up because I manage to win once every several years.

Sporting Clays is still my favorite clays game, but the rules have eliminated a lot of the "hunting" stations that I found enjoyable. Some of the tournament targets now border on the impossible, and the classification system really doesn't allow for competition between like abilities.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just started shooting this year and have punched twice in E. I can forsee the possible frustration that you have encountered and am not a wannabe but I think I can easily punch into A/AA given the time. I was at the point of shooting casually got to be boring and I wanted to compete. Through 450 targets, I've had a lot of fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, the whole classification system is a bit off. In USPSA they have specific courses of fire that are used to see how well you are shooting. Of course, someone could sandbag the classifiers and shoot better on other stages.

But sporting clays, there is not "standard" stations to compare from.

I shot a lot of registered targets, and managed to get a couple of nice pins with the number for the year on them. :)

My wife won a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge from shooting registered league targets.

PG used to let you shoot in a "league" that was any time you wanted to shoot, you just got a special book of tickets, that cost less per round. Then you paid a bit more (like a buck or so per round) to have the targets registered with NSCA.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just started shooting this year and have punched twice in E. I can forsee the possible frustration that you have encountered and am not a wannabe but I think I can easily punch into A/AA given the time. I was at the point of shooting casually got to be boring and I wanted to compete. Through 450 targets, I've had a lot of fun.

Don't sweat it. You can shoot through D class (unless you punch out some big numbers tournaments) for a pretty decent amount of time.

The classing system sucks, oddly, the biggest complainers are Master class shooters. They are competing with guys who (literally) shoot 5 days a week, as their JOB.

I'm ONLY an NSCA member to shoot registered targets, and I let that lapse when I lose interest in shooting in sanctioned events (like,... every year).

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    I'm hoping to punch out of E at the State Championship on the 2nd. I have my sights set on making the all-state team for D next year. I was going to shoot for all-region but am expecting a child in December which will cut drastically into targets and attending the big shoots.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm thinking about Pintail this year, I'm so damn up and down with how I've been shooting lately, can break 84 one week then low 70's the next. Sucks.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    If you decide to go, make me aware we could meet up and shoot. I registered for the 5 stand, main and FITASC on Sunday.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If you decide to go, make me aware we could meet up and shoot. I registered for the 5 stand, main and FITASC on Sunday.

I can do that. Where would you be coming from (travel wise). Schraders has a shoot this Sunday.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    I can do that. Where would you be coming from (travel wise). Schraders has a shoot this Sunday.

I'm coming from Carroll County. I'm not attending the Schrader's shoot, I'm just practicing at Carlisle F&G on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom