New Holy Grail USMC Garand (one of the first)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    This popped up and I couldn't pass it up. The SN alone is amazing but not the reason I jumped on it.

It's from the shipment of the first 400 Garands the USMC got for testing in 1938. It was tested by Company B, 1st Battalion 6th Marines. 260 rounds were fired through it.

You can still see the improvement to correct the "7th round stoppage."

The Marines saw promise in the Garands but realized they had some issues that needed to be worked out. But they definitely were not impressed in the condition they were sent to them.

A friend and fellow historian, is a Captain in the Army and just laughed at some of the paperwork saying "this is a classic, for the record these things were f'ed up when we got them, memo."

Had several people ask me if I plan on bringing it back to WWII configuration, and the answer is most likely no. The stock is a Letterkenny replacement (I'm told by the red triangle), the barrel is a 1966 replacement and the receiver leg is EPed "LEAD 9'66" so I'll just leave it as is.

The bore was rusted out, spent several rounds of cleaning and it still has some minor shine but some minor pitting.

Absolutely love this piece.

yQ8Q3SBl.jpg

Tg27rBKl.jpg

RGTQblxl.jpg

x2vPDaEl.jpg

62uqUlyl.jpg

hkIamAjl.jpg

PMIf24nl.jpg

Some of the paperwork

GfGgo8Xl.jpg

hgndFHbl.jpg

tOQthLCl.jpg

Garands did not outperform the 1903 as far as accuracy.

7BT8SKPl.jpg

Garand "thumb"

QAxOPR5l.jpg

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    WOW!

This popped up and I couldn't pass it up. The SN alone is amazing but not the reason I jumped on it.

It's from the shipment of the first 400 Garands the USMC got for testing in 1938. It was tested by Company B, 1st Battalion 6th Marines. 260 rounds were fired through it.

You can still see the improvement to correct the "7th round stoppage."

The Marines saw promise in the Garands but realized they had some issues that needed to be worked out. But they definitely were not impressed in the condition they were sent to them.

A friend and fellow historian, is a Captain in the Army and just laughed at some of the paperwork saying "this is a classic, for the record these things were f'ed up when we got them, memo."

Had several people ask me if I plan on bringing it back to WWII configuration, and the answer is most likely no. The stock is a Letterkenny replacement (I'm told by the red triangle), the barrel is a 1966 replacement and the receiver leg is EPed "LEAD 9'66" so I'll just leave it as is.

The bore was rusted out, spent several rounds of cleaning and it still has some minor shine but some minor pitting.

Absolutely love this piece.

yQ8Q3SBl.jpg

Tg27rBKl.jpg

RGTQblxl.jpg

x2vPDaEl.jpg

62uqUlyl.jpg

hkIamAjl.jpg

PMIf24nl.jpg

Some of the paperwork

GfGgo8Xl.jpg

hgndFHbl.jpg

tOQthLCl.jpg

Garands did not outperform the 1903 as far as accuracy.

7BT8SKPl.jpg

Garand "thumb"

QAxOPR5l.jpg

Great find! Would it be inappropriate to ask how much you paid?

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm a terrible millennial with technology, in answering multiple quotes I'll just type them out.

TheOriginalMexicanBob - Not to rub salt in the wound, but yours was an SRS hit. 819 031138 CO A 18TH INF

I would've paid a small kings ransom if you were selling. They really get me excited. If not I would've helped you get paperwork from the archives either way. I'm sure the SN commanded a premium by itself.

IronDuck - Not inappropriate to ask, I don't mind at all. The seller sold it to me for $3k plus shipping. Really nice guy he's an advanced USMC collector, has a Garand with paperwork from the local government of Saipan that it was picked up after the battle and stored in their armory. He knew what he had (in this rifle), but he also knew I was excited. He was very very patient with me. He knew that was a lot of money for me and graciously allowed a long term layaway.

bigmancrisler - To be honest, it's no special skill. In this instance, the seller knew I was an SRS/documented firearm fanatic. He said he knew because of what I do with spending so much time at the archives (before the Covid shutdown)that I'd appreciate it more and really wanted me to buy it but wasn't gonna give it away. So it was just a result of networking.

Other times, I simply look at various auction sites, specifically at the serial number and if it's not an SRS hit I move on. If it is, I decide if it's a hit I want. (I try to pull the paperwork first to make sure I can find it or it's interesting). But bear in mind there are people that make me look like I'm brand new to collecting . A colleague and someone I have purchased from, has a documented Trapdoor salvaged from the USS Maine. This stuff is out there. Either way what a fun hobby, I never got into cars, motorcycles or season tickets to sports teams. I love this.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    TheOriginalMexicanBob - Not to rub salt in the wound, but yours was an SRS hit. 819 031138 CO A 18TH INF

I would've paid a small kings ransom if you were selling. They really get me excited. If not I would've helped you get paperwork from the archives either way. I'm sure the SN commanded a premium by itself.

I bought it in the mid-1980s...before the huge "surge" (apologies to AOC...not!) in buying the M1 compared to not too long after. It had a WWII Winchester barrel...Bill Ricca...a big parts reseller of milsurp stuff...wanted that barrel so badly he would have installed a correct barrel at no charge plus some other extras. It also had a correct very early stock with no cleaning kit cutout and large cartouches. I left it as it was.

I sold that rifle maybe ten-twelve years ago...it just about paid for a year's tuition and expenses for our daughter when she went to college in NYC. Selling a few more choice pieces like an as-NIB Colt Boa and NIB Viper went a long way to cut college costs. It's not that I wouldn't mind having them back but they served the purpose. I have no regrets.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Another neat thread. Appreciate you sharing your approach to finding these gems. Makes perfect sense to me now. Lots of hard work parsing all those SNs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom