• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    So many awesome guys here. Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I ended up feeling that there were no really wrong choices of cartridge in that list. And relative to semis, mag-fed, 80% guns, the commies in Annapolis and DC. Shouldn’t get around to hindering lever gun sales too soon. Calibers can be changed or added later.So just buy one, dam* it and enjoy!
    A great MDS fellow here just sold me his Rossi 92 in .44 mag. Like the Marlins, there seem to be hit or miss stories on the world-wide google machine regarding Rossi. Many people seem to treat them as sort of almost complete kit guns. They stone and smooth the actions, delete safeties etc.
    The original owner smoothed out the gun’s operation, refinished the stock (and steel!) added a skinner peep (I prefer aperture sights usually), removed the safety (so now I can go off half cocked...as they say) wrapped the lever in leather (like para cord wraps), etc. he also provided me a reloading set for .44 and some really helpful guidance.
    Suffice it to say I’m very happy with it. Maybe it’s because I was limited to muzzleloaders and 12 ga. Slugs forever, but the recoil is fine. Even with the curved steel buttplate, which looks better than a rubber pad. Both the metal buttplate and short length of pull are assets in cold when shouldering the gun. I may get a leather lace up pad with cartridge holders though.
    The 16.25” barrel and sub-5lbs is awesome. Recoil and accuracy might not be helped by it’s diminutive size but it’s not bad in the first department and the accuracy seems good. I’ve only shot a dozen rounds at 20 yards offhand but it was minute of soda can. It’s like a Red Ryder BB gun on steroids.
    So thanks to the gentleman who sold it to me, and thanks to all those who took the time to write.

Good choice, I bought a stainless Puma 92 in 44 Mag 10 or 15 years ago from Gander for 500.00. More I shoot it the smoother it gets. Not the most accurate in my collection but it's a fun everyday shooter. Shooting 44 spc it's like a pop gun but full blown magnums it does have some kick. In short I love it.
    Rossi is a broad label that covered Puma.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rossi Leverguns are far superior to the QC on their revolvers , and generally usable- ish out of the box .

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    Great choice. If you can please post a follow-up once you have garnered more experience with the rifle. I am considering upgrading from my Remlin .357!

MGP

Mar 11, 2014
    What Distance will you be shooting ? If within a 100 yards. I’m a Big Fan Of the 41 Magnum I have a Marlin in 1894FG and a 1894S also a 1894c 357 mag I have taken Deer with both calibers. As far as Recoil
    Goes they do not kick enough to worry about so a 44mag which is not to hard to find one it’s a ***** cat for recoil

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    45-70 success

I went the 45-70 route. I ended up with 3. Two Marlin 1895's and a Browning 1885 I haven't shot yet. The Marlins shoot incredible, a bit over an inch @100. One I worked on a bit and it shoots one hole groups @100 with Hornady FTX 325 bullets and 2" @200 yards 10" drop sighted @ 100. No bull, and looking at loading data it takes a couple grains of powder to increase the velocity a 100 or 200fps, in other words its very forgiving. At the range or on the forums everybody has a 45-70 success story.

Attachments

• 45-70a.jpg
      45-70a.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 165
    • 45-70.jpg
      45-70.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 171

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    44 mag is a winner in any collection
    bigger game caliber 444 all day over 45/70 if you can find it

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    44 mag is a winner in any collection
    bigger game caliber 444 all day over 45/70 if you can find it

.444 is seriously underrated though take naproxin after shooting more than 20 rds. Love my .444..............

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I went the 45-70 route. I ended up with 3. Two Marlin 1895's and a Browning 1885 I haven't shot yet. The Marlins shoot incredible, a bit over an inch @100. One I worked on a bit and it shoots one hole groups @100 with Hornady FTX 325 bullets and 2" @200 yards 10" drop sighted @ 100. No bull, and looking at loading data it takes a couple grains of powder to increase the velocity a 100 or 200fps, in other words its very forgiving. At the range or on the forums everybody has a 45-70 success story.

Congrats on the 45/70, reloading will give you a lot more accuracy. I shoot with iron sites and at 200 yards my loads only drop about 2 inches with a 350 grain head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom