• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Alright, had this one for a while. Been sitting in the safe finally got around to taking pictures of it.

This is a Krag that was issued to Private Charles T. Cooley of Company K of the 1st US Maryland Volunteer Infantry during the Spanish American War.

It's neat that it went to a Maryland Unit. The 1st Maryland didn't see combat they were preparing to go to Cuba and the war ended before they could ship out. They had some desertions, some died of disease and training accidents. But not too much remarkable in their service history during this time frame.

What is more interesting is Charles T. Cooley was the first Police Chief of Montgomery County, MD which formed on July 4, 1922.

I may have to sell it something amazing just popped up and it's gonna be posted here. Just trying to avoid having to part with it haha. The local history is just too neat.

OZGBtv3l.jpg

NoMxnbDl.jpg

FIzg3VFl.jpg

pxwtx7cl.jpg

Km9nbjRl.jpg

x4vLaBIl.jpg

1RCNA1tl.jpg

sAgweGVl.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yet again thanks for sharing! Love the history behind items. What I wanna know is how you got access to that inventory register! What a useful tool for providing provenance.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Yet again thanks for sharing! Love the history behind items. What I wanna know is how you got access to that inventory register! What a useful tool for providing provenance.

Before the archives closed because of the Black Plague.

There was a location at the DC archives that had unit ledgers. Says everything that’s issued to individuals of each unit. I don’t always know who it’s issued to. Just know the SNs. The Charles T Cooley thing was just a nice surprise.

I talked to the unofficial historian of MCPD he expressed interest in buying it for what I had in it. Then never heard from him. I work for the MoCo FD and we share the same building grit the academy. I was willing to either donate or give the rifle on loan for their displays but a few of the cops I know on their side recommended not doing that because of the anti-firearm culture in the county (even with it being a police academy).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yeah no way I'd put it in the PDs hands. Next thing you know they don't give it back or it otherwise mysteriously disappears. Shame we have to think that way but that's what happens when people act like zealots.

Really cool piece of history there. Question - are you buying rifles en masse then looking them up for info or the other way around? You always have cool stuff

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Interesting with the history to back it up, good pics too. Have you shot it?

Thank you, I have not shot it. Ammo prices are just ridiculous right now and with two young kids (6 and 9) its so hard to find range time as it is.

I have no reserves about shooting it though. Just hard to find the time or ammo. Maybe one day haha

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    Whoa - that’s awesome. Did you just flip through random unit ledgers looking for your serial number? My great-grandfather served in Philippine-American war and I have a ton of his military records, but hadn’t thought to look for something like this. Would love to find out the serial number of his Krag and begin a quest for it. I’ll have to take a look when the Archives reopen.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    To answer people's questions. I collect based of the Springfield Research Service serial number databases and my own lists that I've built up by going to the archives. So basically I search auctions, look for a pictured SN, if its a match and I like the hit. I'll try and buy it. Or try and pull the paperwork (if time permits), read it and decide if I want to buy it.

So basically it's a different strategy of what to look for.

My priorities are usually SN matching against the database first (or paperwork if I already have it), then look at the price and the condition last. If the rifle or pistol isnt a hit than I move on. I can look through 200-300 listings before I find a match. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

I like it because it focuses my attention and prevents me from buying everything. It's really slowed down my acquisition and since each one has a different story, I don't have really any duplicates.

Sounds crazy I know, but you have to be a little crazy to love this hobby. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom