• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Was curious if it's legal to hunt with a 44 magnum rifle in maryland. Thinking about picking up a 44mag lever action and wanted to know if it was possible.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Legal. I haven't tried it, but a friend bought a single shot (CVA I think) and put a decent scope on it. He's worked up some accurate loads of 240 grain soft points and has dropped a few does with no problems.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I’m sure I will be corrected if wrong but can’t straightwall cartridges be used in shotgun county’s.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Buddy got a new henry 44mag. Absolutely great deer gun. G2G now on shot gun counties.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you guys for all the info. I should have specified that I did mean deer hunting or game if similar size. I know our deer around here usually don't get as big as some of the mid west species.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yyes you can now use any straight wall cartridges to hunt deer in Maryland. Most were shotgun only counties before but you can use 357, 44, 45/70 and more

To clarify, the straight wall cartridge and weapon still has to meet the other requirements if the pistol and rifle regulations.

So you can’t use a .38 special, .45acp or something. Pistols must be 6” or longer and develop 700ft-lbs at the muzzle and rifles must develop 1200ft-lbs at the muzzle.

.357 qualifies, but only just and only in hotter loads. Plenty of straight walled cartridges do.

Just pointing out it is more than just being straight walled to be legal now.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    To clarify, the straight wall cartridge and weapon still has to meet the other requirements if the pistol and rifle regulations.

So you can’t use a .38 special, .45acp or something. Pistols must be 6” or longer and develop 700ft-lbs at the muzzle and rifles must develop 1200ft-lbs at the muzzle.

.357 qualifies, but only just and only in hotter loads. Plenty of straight walled cartridges do.

I used to hunt with revolver for many years. Used 357 and 44 magnum. I am fully aware of the laws. I had over 8" barrels on both. I quit hunting with them though. Reason was then you had to use in a rifle county. I hunted in Carroll, west in Frederick and the far western Maryland counties.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013

Thank you, I have to say that has been the most helpful comment yet. I've been trying to find that criteria. Thank you

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    So I was reading some of the articles posted. Am I correct in reading, you can hunt with a 22lr but not 22mag/wmr? I feel I have something wrong

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom