• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Sometimes being old has advantages:

And here is an unissued, as in even the stock has not been oiled, IBM carbine:

I've seen these sell for up to $7000 in this condition with DCM paperwork and box.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Saginaw...early model...no bayonet lug and it was a bring back. Was told it was easily a 1200 dollar carbine and this was before covid/biden was even on the horizon. Wonder what it would fetch now? Not that I'd sell it.

I don't think COVID has changed the price of collectables. Unless the base price has gone up enough.

Most of the buyers driving the prices up, don't care. A carbine is a carbine to them.

I got mine about 6 years ago. A private seller (with a table) at a gun show in Winchester. Inland arsenal reworked. I paid about $800 for it. I asked on CMP Forums and the consensus was that I got a good deal. At the time, $800 - $1000 was the price for a mixmaster rework, non-import.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't think COVID has changed the price of collectables. Unless the base price has gone up enough.

Most of the buyers driving the prices up, don't care. A carbine is a carbine to them.

I got mine about 6 years ago. A private seller (with a table) at a gun show in Winchester. Inland arsenal reworked. I paid about $800 for it. I asked on CMP Forums and the consensus was that I got a good deal. At the time, $800 - $1000 was the price for a mixmaster rework, non-import.
    The prices fluctuate based on the last time CMP released carbines. They did release some around 2016 (I think?) for something like $675 and prices on mixmasters dipped to around $800 for a year or so.

Right now I suspect the renewed interest is due to Royal Tiger Imports. However, based on the number of carbines made I’d be surprised if more MAP guns didn’t appear at CMP at some point. CMP armorers hate carbines and always complain about them.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    First carbine I owned was one that my dad and I bought for $179 at a gun show...the guy that rode with us...a "friend" of my dad...said I'll give you $189 to the seller right after my dad made the 179 deal. My dad looked at hid friend and said who the fxxk are you motherfxxker in a loud voice. Laughed my ass off. We refinished the stock and had the action parkerized and although he liked how it turned out...the stock looked too like a piece of furniture...too slick and polished to me. My brother has it now...after my father's death.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Pricing on milsurps was already rising before COVID- 5yrs ago Russian Capture K98’s as another example were still $400 or so, now they’re $800 and up when they pop up. Garands seem about same as always- secondary market full of CMP guns at a premium even though it’s very easy to buy direct.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Pricing on milsurps was already rising before COVID- 5yrs ago Russian Capture K98’s as another example were still $400 or so, now they’re $800 and up when they pop up. Garands seem about same as always- secondary market full of CMP guns at a premium even though it’s very easy to buy direct.

Isn’t it incredible? There was a CMP Service Grade at Simpsons the other day for $1200–snapped up same day it appeared. You can buy the same thing from the CMP for $750.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I sold a WRA rack grade that I bought directly, was a particularly nice one though for about $1,200 6yrs ago that I paid $750 for. Also wish now I hadn’t. And my low number 1903 for I think $900 that was $695 or so.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Isn’t it incredible? There was a CMP Service Grade at Simpsons the other day for $1200–snapped up same day it appeared. You can buy the same thing from the CMP for $750.

The CMP sales process or lack of awareness that it even exists seems to limit participation by some.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Yes. OP, the M1 Carbines are nice but the reasonably priced M1's from CMP will not be around forever. You should probably look at one.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sometimes being old has advantages:

And here is an unissued, as in even the stock has not been oiled, IBM carbine:

I've seen these sell for up to $7000 in this condition with DCM paperwork and box.

Everytime I think I have good stuff..........I envy yours.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Obama blocked the Korean surplus from coming back a couple of times even though it passes legal muster. These recent ones from Ethiopia seem to be one of the last other large groups of surplus carbines left, hate the thought of a billboard on the side of a USGI rifle though. I may end up ponying up the cash to get back into the Carbine game. Glad I kept my mags at least.

RTI ones have the import mark on the barrel and were logged under their original serial number rather than having a new one issued and stamped on the receiver

I don’t even like Carbines, but happened across this Saginaw last year for $300, so I grabbed it to fill a hole in my USGI collection.

9Suo0hl.jpg

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    What is a good "Clone" or "non collectible" M1 carbine ? with box mag ?

Kahr arms makes a brand new copy of the m1 carbine...just looked them up and they are $1000. Damn with copies at a grand real ones must be going at insane prices!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The fact is, it's an expensive thing to make. No stamped parts and intricate machining using obsolete methods equals lots of labor equals $$. They were expensive to manufacture even when new.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Not sure that is possible. Every time I think about downsizing I keep thinking.........I cant replace almost all of this stuff.

I feel the same. Still, I'll most likely be selling off almost everything (except what is needed for the next Revolution) once the ban ball gets rolling next year. Better to sell it for big money now than be stuck with it until I die. I recently sold one of my rifles for $8500. Back in the 80's it cost less than $2000. Thirty years of fun and that kind of profit is hard to resist.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

This my thinking.

ANY available firearm prices have gone up.

But collectables have not gone up proportionally. And most people paying inflated prices for any firearm, and do not care about collectability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom