• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    A few year ago i as heading out to my deer stand for the afternoon hunt i was on my ATV ready to cross the road to gain access to the land i hunt a Game Wardens truck drove on by me and proceeded to turn around. Instead of crossing the street i waited. They pulled there truck up infront of my ATV and proceeded to ask for my license. Both were very polite asked me how hunting was going, once everything checked they let me go and wished me good luck.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    A few year ago i as heading out to my deer stand for the afternoon hunt i was on my ATV ready to cross the road to gain access to the land i hunt a Game Wardens truck drove on by me and proceeded to turn around. Instead of crossing the street i waited. They pulled there truck up infront of my ATV and proceeded to ask for my license. Both were very polite asked me how hunting was going, once everything checked they let me go and wished me good luck.

Let me add, every encounter I’ve had with DNR, has been pleasant. One time I was caught without having my federal bird stamp signed and attached to my license, while goose hunting. It was mailed to me, and I forgot to attach it. The officer could see I purchased it, it just wasn’t stuck on my license like it’s supposed to be.
    He was cool about it, and gave me a written warning.
    The following weekend, I was hunting in the same location, and the officer came in to check me/us again.
    This time, I had my stamp, and everything was good. The officer spent some talking to the group of us about hunting in general, he seemed to be a really good guy.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    ITT: "The state owns the animals"

In reality, it's not that simple. Wildlife is held in public trust and the states act as "quasi-trustees" to safeguard public access to wildlife and other natural resources. This is a doctrine that goes back to Roman times in legality (most, if not all of our law has its roots in Roman and then English law because precedence is always sought to uphold a decision). This covers wildlife, navigability, and land access. These resources are held in public trust and the DNR and state merely act as enforcement agents of said trust. When the DNR catches a poacher and tries them and punishes them, it's not because they took the state government's animal outside of the law, but because they deprived the rest of us the right to fair chase within the limits of the law.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This same b/a applies to DOT traffic stops. AA County, MD State and DOT are abusing the system and pulling over “commercial” vehicles with “spot checks” up and down RT2/ Ritchie HWY in Severna Park, Arnold and Pasadena. Being commercial subjects you to commerce clause and you have no protection from “spot checks” nor does a boater. My best friends landscaping company gets harassed all the time. The guys are tied up for 1-3 hours with $500-$2k of fines. I passed 5 police stops around 10am today in a 3 mile stretch on rt 2.

Yeah your answer is highlighted above. They weren't getting those "$500-$2k" fines for nothing. Don't like being "harassed", fix your issues.

I have personally been involved where an MSP Trooper at the weigh station at 495 and 95 handed out $2K in tickets that were subsequently kicked in court and no court costs charged. Two of us were still out of work for half a day.

Yes, they do "harass" commercial vehicle drivers/owners.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Who remembers when a back tag had to be prominently displayed. Or when a field tag had to be immediately attached before transporting the animal.
    I never could understand why the got rid of the back tag requirement.
    At least it would provide a visual cue to a resource officer when he performed a field check.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I myself have felt harassed and not treated fairly by game wardens in the past. I was hunting on a farm I leased in North Baltimore County two seasons ago. The lady that owns the farm showed me the actual plats from the surveyor. We even walked the property boundaries twice. I set up tree stands after scouting. Come opener on Saturday at 430AM I am walking to my stand. I suddenly have spot lights shining at me from a few hundred yards away on neighboring property. I disregard the lights and go to my stand in the dark. I get there and my stand is torn down. Has a paper taped to it with a nasty note. I leave and call game warden and the farm owner is with me. The wardens show up and I explain to them what happened. They ask if I want to press charges for my tree stand. I am like no and I want to just hunt and not be bothered. The wardens go over the neighbors and talk to them. These were new hunters to the farm and they claim I trespassed and it was the corner of their property. I was well on the right side. The three young game wardens gave me a warning for trespassing and said well they must be right. I was peed off to say the least.
    Not all game wardens are A holes . My middle aged son is a Game warden and was born in Maryland. He is now married with a family in NE Tennessee. He deals with so much. Anyhow he has more authority than any other law enforcement basically. They can enter your land to get to something. If they get a complaint about something on a certain property then they can enter and find you. Thing is my son wont just walk onto a property unless he has good reason. He is a human and understanding like us all. He does not want to harass or destroy anyone's life. He mainly has to trespass to get to poachers or illegal hunting. Hell in Tennessee everyone carries a handgun. You can have a loaded weapon in your vehicle there also unlike Maryland.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I know a guy who got a 50$ ticket for killing a praying mantis. This was not MD, but apparently there has never been a law on the books, state or fed, and they have never been on any endangered status in north america, despite a lot of belief to the the contrary. It was accidental.

Many of you guys are blessed. I would highly recommend a book called "The Contented Poacher", it is a mix of stories and recipes for all types of animals. Very enjoyable reading and some good recipes too. The author never used firearms. My favorite story was about quail hunting with a toilet paper tube and a burlap sack, and the ensuing interaction with DNR.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    wow

I know a guy who got a 50$ ticket for killing a praying mantis. This was not MD, but apparently there has never been a law on the books, state or fed, and they have never been on any endangered status in north america, despite a lot of belief to the the contrary. It was accidental.

Many of you guys are blessed. I would highly recommend a book called "The Contented Poacher", it is a mix of stories and recipes for all types of animals. Very enjoyable reading and some good recipes too. The author never used firearms. My favorite story was about quail hunting with a toilet paper tube and a burlap sack, and the ensuing interaction with DNR.

I always thought they were forbidden to kill for some reason...

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Who remembers when a back tag had to be prominently displayed. Or when a field tag had to be immediately attached before transporting the animal.
    At least it would provide a visual cue to a resource officer when he performed a field check.

I remember having to display your license. It made too much since, so I guess they had to change that.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have personally been involved where an MSP Trooper at the weigh station at 495 and 95 handed out $2K in tickets that were subsequently kicked in court and no court costs charged. Two of us were still out of work for half a day.

So you have one incident that was thrown out of court and that automatically means every action, inspection, citation they write is bogus and harassment, gotcha. :rolleyes:

I'm sure somewhere there's an unhappy restaurant owner because a commercial kitchen equipment installer "ripped them off" so now that means all do.

JaeLess

Nov 20, 2020
    Research how much authority railroad special agents have. More broad enforcement powers than any other LE in the country when you factor in all the assets (structures, track, equipment, mineral rights for land, property, etc.) that they can enforce laws over.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This topic has come up here before. It led to the end of a long time member who (after numerous prior suspensions) suggested that any DNR officers found on his property would likely be mistaken for deer and handled accordingly. I predict this one has at least a 3% chance of going better than that thread did...

Did you round up to get to 3% :D:innocent0

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md

I remember having to display your license. It made too much since, so I guess they had to change that.

Add me to the old man club. Was talking to someone the other day and they thought I was pulling their leg. Damn young'ns

Feb 28, 2013
    ITT: "The state owns the animals"

In reality, it's not that simple. Wildlife is held in public trust and the states act as "quasi-trustees" to safeguard public access to wildlife and other natural resources. This is a doctrine that goes back to Roman times in legality (most, if not all of our law has its roots in Roman and then English law because precedence is always sought to uphold a decision). This covers wildlife, navigability, and land access. These resources are held in public trust and the DNR and state merely act as enforcement agents of said trust. When the DNR catches a poacher and tries them and punishes them, it's not because they took the state government's animal outside of the law, but because they deprived the rest of us the right to fair chase within the limits of the law.
    ”Fair chase” hell... deer are a goddamn menace :mad54:

I say kill em all and lets eat :cool:

Feb 28, 2013

I encounter troopers out of the Salisbury barrack pretty regularly. Most of em are good folks and they always been fair with me at the scales, even up to their Sgt of the CV division

I only encountered one that was a prick. His attitude told me he got off on his little fishing expeditions

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    License check tonight, officer and rookie, first time I’ve seen DNR in an unmarked truck.
    Usually, I see them in green truck with DNR emblem on side.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    That is not how they work

This thread makes me want to hunt my private property on sundays.

Ok, so hunting on your private property on a Sunday does not mean that the DNR will not be there to check you out. They fined my son for driving to our cabin on a Sunday evening and he had his deer rifle on the ATV and it was loaded...fine for hunting from a vehicle. This was a few years back, but they still come to our property regularly to check and harass us and they wonder why people are not hunting or fishing. This year they were on our property putting up cameras before deer season. We know this because we have our own cameras that recorded when they came on our property and when they left. They drove around our locked gate to get on the property. Then we found their cameras. We do not break any laws other then a lapse in judgement which my son was guilty of. Before the haters start on me...My father was employed by the DNR for 30 years and believe me he drilled into my brothers and I to follow all game laws and all other laws.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Ok, so hunting on your private property on a Sunday does not mean that the DNR will not be there to check you out. They fined my son for driving to our cabin on a Sunday evening and he had his deer rifle on the ATV and it was loaded...fine for hunting from a vehicle. This was a few years back, but they still come to our property regularly to check and harass us and they wonder why people are not hunting or fishing. This year they were on our property putting up cameras before deer season. We know this because we have our own cameras that recorded when they came on our property and when they left. They drove around our locked gate to get on the property. Then we found their cameras. We do not break any laws other then a lapse in judgement which my son was guilty of. Before the haters start on me...My father was employed by the DNR for 30 years and believe me he drilled into my brothers and I to follow all game laws and all other laws.

Why are they putting cameras on your property?

They'd have tape on all lenses ASAP
    Edit: no tape, sign that says you're trespassing in every photo they take
    A lawyer would be at their bosses desk raising hell, don't care about their rights as LEO's

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom