• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yessss! Finally!

Buddy of mine took me to a piece of private land he hunts. Bagged me an 8 pointer at about 4:15.

Spine shot rapidly followed up with a double lung shot to put him down quickly.

He shoots. He scores! Nice buck tallen. Congrats! Persistence pays off. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I actually have three nice "shooter" bucks on camera this season. All of them at night...
    I don't have a single buck on camera in daylight this entire season! Things have been quite busy lately, so I've essentially missed the rut, again :sad20:

I'm glad to see all of the deer being taken!!

Not over yet. Rutting activity will continue for the next couple weeks, to some degree. I have killed more than one buck that never showed up on my trailcams.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Only time I want(ed) hearing pro was when handgun hunting. Rifle? I barely hear/notice the gun firing.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Only time I want(ed) hearing pro was when handgun hunting. Rifle? I barely hear/notice the gun firing.

That's the way it is pheasant hunting with me. Barely notice it, never have a ringing in my ears from it or anything like that. Only hearing loss I've ever suffered from guns was range-related when some a-hole let go with a Mosin Nagant 3' from my right ear when the range had been called cold and everyone had ear-pro off. I lost about 5% of my range in that ear.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They discontinued them. Never gave a public explanation as to why because they seemed to sell well. Did not get a lot of negative media attention. I think I saw maybe one anti idiot discuss the horrors of suppressed 50 cal black powder sniper rifles.

Sadly. Considered it. But alas, not to be unless I find a used one.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I shot a coon one time on a pile of oyster shells walking in one time in a cut over with a No5. Thought I lost my hearing in the right ear.

Later on, I seen some antlered deer and didn't shoot because I didn't want to risk permanently becoming deaf in one ear.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shot a coon one time on a pile of oyster shells walking in one time in a cut over with a No5. Thought I lost my hearing in the right ear.

Later on, I seen some antlered deer and didn't shoot because I didn't want to risk permanently becoming deaf in one ear.
    Blown both of my ears. Now I go to sleep with the roar of a million crickets in my ears. :sad20:

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Sadly. Considered it. But alas, not to be unless I find a used one.

For the price ~$1000. it was kind of expensive. Part of the problem was they marketed it as 50 state legal which turned out to be not quite true. I'm sure cleaning it is a beast too. I almost pulled the trigger when they had a big black Friday promo for it before it was discounted. I think they were selling them for $750 but I passed.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For the price ~$1000. it was kind of expensive. Part of the problem was they marketed it as 50 state legal which turned out to be not quite true. I'm sure cleaning it is a beast too. I almost pulled the trigger when they had a big black Friday promo for it before it was discounted. I think they were selling them for $750 but I passed.
    I jumped on it when Silencerco had them on sale for just under $500 two years ago. I didn’t necessarily want or need one, but at 50% off, I couldn’t pass it up. I still haven’t shot it even once, but I did do the initial cleaning, which was a pain in the neck, getting patches caught in the baffles and having to fish them out. I hope to get off my lazy rear this year and get this thing field ready to use it in late muzzleloader season. It just hasn’t been a priority for me yet.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got my Maxim when they were $1K :(

Got it to keep noise down in the neighborhood

I’m maybe a week or two before I think the big house next to me gets occupied so I have stopped letting the small ones go and switched from bow back to crossbow. Button Buck came by near end of light and waited 10 minutes to see if anything came in after it. Nope so took the broadside shot. This little bugger ran over 100 yards and dropped in a neighbors yard that I have permission only to retrieve.
    My 21 year old son found the blood trail for me.

167aab73f31440ca61f9329922339337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I am in the middle of the longest cat and mouse and bigger cat chess match I've ever been in. I spotted a large six point on the adjacent hill about two hours ago. I decided I'd shoot him if I got the chance. He's moving like molasses. He eventually works his way down the hill and starts to come up mine, so i pick up my bow. He's almost dead down wind. He holds up at 45 yards behind some brush for what seemed like 37.5 hours, then a doe came by behind him. So he trots off up the hill he just left.

They've been standing still and watching each other for tens of minutes at a time, before they move a few yards and do it all over again. Been watching this show for over an hour now. Now he's bedded up 120 yards from me, not worrying about the doe. I can't move cause I'll spook him out. Hopefully he gets up soon and heads my way again!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I am in the middle of the longest cat and mouse and bigger cat chess match I've ever been in. I spotted a large six point on the adjacent hill about two hours ago. I decided I'd shoot him if I got the chance. He's moving like molasses. He eventually works his way down the hill and starts to come up mine, so i pick up my bow. He's almost dead down wind. He holds up at 45 yards behind some brush for what seemed like 37.5 hours, then a doe came by behind him. So he trots off up the hill he just left.

They've been standing still and watching each other for tens of minutes at a time, before they move a few yards and do it all over again. Been watching this show for over an hour now. Now he's bedded up 120 yards from me, not worrying about the doe. I can't move cause I'll spook him out. Hopefully he gets up soon and heads my way again!

Beats the hell out of dead quiet except for squirrels running by!
    Good luck

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Exactly. And birds. So many effing birds.

I have a feeder in my back yard and although I have taken out 8 squirrels so far this year, I think they are tribbles and multiply. Saw 8 this morning. Construction started up at 7:00 and the 5 deer about 120 yards away I thought were headed my way and then the noise started up. I waited until they could not see me get down before I left and started work.

Couple years ago when I started hunting in a treestand instead of ground blind, I started to use the birds and squirrels to make sure I'm not being seen (movement). If they don't see me, the deer don't seem to.

THEY STILL PISS ME OFF, especially the ones that come up from behind me and don't let me start with the ones that crack black walnuts over my head and drop them on me.....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a feeder in my back yard and although I have taken out 8 squirrels so far this year, I think they are tribbles and multiply. Saw 8 this morning. Construction started up at 7:00 and the 5 deer about 120 yards away I thought were headed my way and then the noise started up. I waited until they could not see me get down before I left and started work.

Couple years ago when I started hunting in a treestand instead of ground blind, I started to use the birds and squirrels to make sure I'm not being seen (movement). If they don't see me, the deer don't seem to.

THEY STILL PISS ME OFF, especially the ones that come up from behind me and don't let me start with the ones that crack black walnuts over my head and drop them on me.....

Hose are the worst. The ninja squirrels that announce their presence when they suddenly make a huge racket in your tree or the one next to you. Couple times I’ve nearly dropped my crossbow or rifle.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I snuck out of my stand at noon and didn't spook anyone out. I think I they snuck out without me seeing them. Gonna try again Sunday morning (stupid date night tomorrow!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom