• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Glock makes a 15 round mag for the 43x?

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Thank you all very much for your recommendations. I will look into each and every one listed and probably try them out at the range to better get a feel for the one I'd like to carry!

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Taurus G3C just hit the MD roster today. Freestate had a couple for $280.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Don't go cheap. You are trusting your life with this tool.
    Look for reputation, accuracy, reliability, and performance. There is a reason professionals carry Glock, Sig, and a few others.
    I carried an LC9 and did not like it.
    Taurus does not have the best reputation for quality.
    Cheap guns are cheap for a reason.
    Lots of quality options out there... save your money and look for dependability.

Personally, Sig, Glock, and CZ are my go to.

Wycopper

Sep 27, 2020
    I would go with the Sig P938 w/extended mag. Nice thin, lightweight, versatile 1911 frame. A little more than what you want to spend but worth it.

rwsmith7

Rick
    Feb 13, 2020
    Short answer is try several makes/models at the range (if you can hook up with friends that have ones you want to try) to see how you like them and determine what is best for YOU.

I carry every day, and I can echo the sentiments of those who have recommended the S&W Shield 9 for your budget - it is a well-made, good shooting, comfortable, budget-friendly pistol.

I carried my Shield until the Springfield Hellcat got approved on the MD Roster, and now that is what leaves the house with me 98% of the time as I like it better overall. I am more accurate with my Hellcat and the factory sights are excellent. Hellcat gives me up to 6 additional rounds in the gun with the 13 round magazine and it is slightly smaller than my Shield. The 11 round magazine also goes with me daily - that's 25 total rounds between the 2 magazines and one in the chamber versus the 16 with my Shield with 2 magazines. I still really like my Shield, but 50% additional ammunition is good insurance in my book. I know the Hellcat is twice your price-point, but as someone previously mentioned, your life may depend on what you carry.

I have friends that carry the Sig P365 and the Glock 43 - their feedback is that both are excellent as well.

I also echo the sentiments of others for a pocket pistol variant. I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a good bellyband holster when I need a small footprint like at the gym.

Just make sure you train regularly (at least every 4-6 weeks) with whatever you decide to carry, and that should include occasionally running some of your carry ammunition through the gun as well to ensure your comfort, accuracy, and reliability with it.

Glad you will be exercising your 2A rights! :thumbsup:

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I own Taurus PT111 G2 great gun for CCW many positive reviews out there.

This(G3C is an updated version of G2)... my EDC... also have a couple LC9s... sometimes Ruger GP100 in a shoulder rig in the winter... ymmv.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If a CZ82 is too bulky, instead of recommending a new pistol(that is probably close to the same size), I'll suggest looking into a plan for an all around better system. Figure it will take a few boxes of 9mm to get familiar with a new pistol, no problem if you have some defensive 9mm ammo now, BIG problem if you don't. A holster makes a big difference in carry, the "traditional" 4:00 IWB carry, especially with a bulky holster will be uncomfortable. Try out AIWB carry and OWB carry, both are more comfortable, can conceal sufficiently, and especially AIWB carry is really comfortable and conceals well for slimmer folk. A reinforced leather holster can add 1/2" to the width of the pistol, kydex is MUCH thinner, lighter, easier to care for, retains better, and can be comfortable if shaped well, so a Vedder , Tulster, or any of the other 100s of all-kydex AIWB holsters will serve you well, and can make it comfortable to conceal a much larger pistol than you may think. Blue guns are really good for training, and really help get familiar with drawing and carrying safely, and can be found cheap, especially surplus training blue guns from PD's. After all of that, the choice in a pistol isn't all that hard, major brand, record of reliability, fits you well, and works for your carry method/position. IMO anything striker fired from GLOCK, SIG, HK, Kahr, M&P, Ruger or Springfield is good to go, I love my P365, it's about the largest pistol that can be pocket carried, and about the smallest pistol that most people can shoot well. Thing is, I would carry that CZ82 with a good holster and sufficient defensive ammo if you shoot it well, and it has proven reliable well before I carry a new pistol without enough ammo and gear to properly try it out and carry it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Buy once. Cry once.

You’re not looking for a screwdriver or a cup coaster. This is a tool you might employ to save your life.

That means that reliability is key. You don’t need to spend $1000 but you should be willing to spend enough to get a gun that has a strong reputation for reliability.

For me that’s SIG, CZ or Glock. I’d add HK but they’re in a higher tier price wise imo.

You can also get a very nice used Smith and Wesson stubby wheel gun for the same kind of money.

You asked for advice and you shared your parameters. I personally wouldn’t carry anything else if it was my carry gun.

My daily is a P365 most of the year. I’ll run a 1911 or a P220 if it’s cold out and I’m in layers.

9 mm will do the job if you do yours, but... 45acp is the Lord’s caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom