• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well, I went out last week. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Frustrated as all hell I went back to work this week for three days. Got grumpy, there goes another vacation day with the hurricane. Woke of this morning really not feeling it. Rain just quit, hunted last week 4 days and didn't even see one deer I wanted to shoot and I'm not very picky. No yearlings and Spikes or fours, maybe let a six go, maybe depending on my mood.

Something clicked today, I remember things "when it quits raining get out there" and I think the wasting another vacation day, except on purpose or laziness. So I made eggs for me and the dog and out I went. 7:05 I hear a noise behind me to the right. I look and see nothing. Then right in front down low a doe shoots by, then another deer. Too fast for heading to the bedding and not running. SOMEONE IS CHASING TAIL! But its too dark to see. The latter deer slows and in the low light it looks like a fork horn to me. I sigh and relax. I couldn't kill the doe and I got to let the forky walk. They head into the bedding area on the neighbors pines and it dies down. Maybe the other does will come, I need meat for caning.

8:05 Snap, She-I-it, there is an 8 point where they went into the bedding area. He turns and walks away from me. No, No, I grab my grunt call and "Urpp" and he stops and looks my way, then keeps walking away. "Damn" I grab the grunt call and slid it from B to D and "Mawww" His neck snaps like "Hey baby!" and starts heading my way. From 40+ yards out he heads at me zigging and zagging and not even a good quarting to shot and I don't like them for bow. At 15 yards, he got a sniff and the wind was heading that way, he let is slide. At five yards he's all rubby on the russian olive and put out the reobital gland smell. It looks to me like we are making eye contact. Steps right under my tree and stops. Put him in the crossbow scope thinking, I've never spined one, but its a crossbow and turning to the other side will make noise, lets go!

Twack, He instantly collapsed and hardly moved his front feet. Made some noise and at 20 seconds his head slipped down the tree and lights out. The arrows was sticking out 2" under the fetching still. The HBX head is amazing. I will post in the other braodhead thread about it.
    Great deer. Things are definitely starting up. Saturday I had a 3pt and two spikes that would not let this doe stand still. Everytime she stopped one was on her backside

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I took this 9-point buck on Saturday morning at the spot I've been hunting/scouting the past two years. This is my eighth season hunting deer and this is my personal best buck. He's now in cubes in my deep freezer, except for the filet mignons which we will eat over the next few days. We'll turn the cubes into hamburger and sausages. He was definitely rutting.

I saved the head with a plan to do a Euro mount. If anyone can point me to a video or article on a good method, please do. I have previously used the "leave it out in the woods for a year" method but with so many coyotes around my area now, I'm afraid it will be gone if I try that way.

Good hunting everyone.

Attachments

• 9 point buck 10.31.2020.jpg
      9 point buck 10.31.2020.jpg
      151.9 KB · Views: 262

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I took this 9-point buck on Saturday morning at the spot I've been hunting/scouting the past two years. This is my eighth season hunting deer and this is my personal best buck. He's now in cubes in my deep freezer, except for the filet mignons which we will eat over the next few days. We'll turn the cubes into hamburger and sausages. He was definitely rutting.

I saved the head with a plan to do a Euro mount. If anyone can point me to a video or article on a good method, please do. I have previously used the "leave it out in the woods for a year" method but with so many coyotes around my area now, I'm afraid it will be gone if I try that way.

Good hunting everyone.
    Nice work!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Westminster. So unless that deer can drive it isn’t the same one. They look the same to me. Especially that long G2 on the left antler.
    Its funny, I used to have a buck that I got on camera for 3 years straight from april-september, then I would never see him again. Im 90% sure he was shot near pretty boy last November.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Nice buck Derwood!

Great deer. Things are definitely starting up. Saturday I had a 3pt and two spikes that would not let this doe stand still. Everytime she stopped one was on her backside

I watched a doe in rifle last year come up the hill in front of my, being chased. I got excited. A button came up and mounted her. :rolleyes:

Then she stepped forward and donkey kicked him right in the belly. :lol2:I almost dropped my gun laughing.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Its funny, I used to have a buck that I got on camera for 3 years straight from april-september, then I would never see him again. Im 90% sure he was shot near pretty boy last November.

I thought you had killed my plan B buck. This guy is plan A. Haven’t seen him in 2 weeks though.

Attachments

• E737BB91-CB9C-47CD-B714-1F8D4A919275.jpg
      E737BB91-CB9C-47CD-B714-1F8D4A919275.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 355

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

Good hunting everyone.

Check our Catman Outdoors on YouTube. He does a great job describing all the steps

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Any way to hunt up next to the rez(I realize it is probably enormous)? Look for escape routs maybe? Funnels?

I can hunt for free on the rez but would need to pay over $200.00 to hunt Nebraska off the rez and that's just for an out of state archery license. I might do it though because I'd like to hunt down south of the rez. I may help a guy who doesn't know how to hunt but wants to learn.
    It was pretty funny Sunday night. Every spot had an out of state truck parked right out in the open. :lol:
    No wonder the deer wouldn't come out.
    Those guys spend at least a couple of thousand bucks to hunt there and the weather's going to be in the 70s this week. I don't see a lot of deer movement around there.

I'll wait for them to leave to get real serious about hunting. I do have a spot I can fall back on to get a meat doe. I want to get a couple for one of my nephews who doesn't hunt but lives with his in-laws. He said they had ten people living there so the meat could help them.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013

I dug a hole 18" deep and place my deer head in it. The antlers came just close to the surface and the buried it. Put a piece of rebar sticking up so you can find it and dig it up late next summer.

Or pay someone with all the bugs to eat it off. The bugs and worms in your yard are going to be dormant now and they will need next spring and summer to clean it all out. My buddy tried boiling one off and the time it took and mess it made was awful.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore

Good hunting everyone.

Check out whitebone creations on YouTube. I learned quite a bit from him. I’ve done a few and they have come out pretty good. It takes a little time but i think it’s worth it to not lose your trophy to a yote or other critter.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I would be afraid of rodents chewing the antlers if left outside for awhile.I left my rattling antlers at the bottom of my stand once.Went back the next eve,and something chewed halfway thru a tine.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    You can bury them and they will be fine. Get them all the way in the ground. You can add a layer of dirt and a light layer of Lyme if you are afraid of something digging it up. My buddy has done several and nothing bothers them. The only down side is waiting all summer to dig it up again. But its way easier if you have the patience.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011

Good hunting everyone.
    I had Charlie Culbertson do a nice 8pt WV deer for me a couple years ago. He was the best price around and I did not even get a friends discount LOL. I will look for some pics.

Whitetail Specialties Taxidermy
    http://www.grizzlyhunter.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom