• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I look forward to try out my new AR15 pistol in the range. It was built by a MD gun shop using 10.5" upper and SB TACTICAL SBPDW AR15 PISTOL BRACE (https://www.battlecreekarmory.com/product-p/sbtsbpdw.htm). I am impressed how beautiful it look. Really compact with the short barrel.

May be I am just too paranoid, with the brace extended, it looks so much like a SBR. My questions are:

1. In the open range, is there anything I should do before I fire my AR15 pistol such as notifying the RSO, or do not extend the brace ? Do I need to show RSO my payment receipt of the pistol. I just do not want to get into trouble for being mistaken as owning a SBR, and runs afoul of the law.

2. Is AR15 pistol popular, I have not been to the range for a long time since the pandemic. I hope I am not the only one shooting an AR15 pistol.

3. Any other advice of transporting, operating and owning an AR15 pistol ?

Thanks

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Not their concern. People with nfa items do take copies of their stamps with them. If one comes up to you they will see the sba brace and should not be an issue

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I second the above. In reality, it’s non of the RSO’s business... whether you are shooting an sbr, suppressor, or a pistol AR. RSO’s are not the law, they are only there to enforce range rules. You have no responsibility about informing them about anything.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    It's not the RSO's concern. He may come up cause it's cool, but doubt he'll care. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    No one will ever give you an issue for using your AR pistol at the range, no matter if it’s shouldered.

Extend the brace, fire the weapon in whatever safe method you desire. I’ve brought many AR pistols to the range and have never had an issue or even been questions.

You certainly do not have to notify an RSO or anyone if you will be shouldering it either, as it’s perfectly legal to do so.

Transport the ammo in a separate bag or case from the pistol. Make sure the pistol is unloaded and in your trunk or out of reach.

Happy shooting

LongRanger300

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2020
    The fact that you have a pistol brace saves you from the issue of being mistaken for having an SBR. #FireAway

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    If the RSO has a problem with it, just be polite and do what he says. I’ve seen quite a few guys argue and of course get no where. It might be their ridiculous opinion but they are the boss at that moment. Same with rapid firing. I know I can handle not shooting the wall, target hanger, bench, etc, but they don’t. Got to imagine how many goofballs come through and act stupid.
    As for the NFA items, unless I was just shown a badge, I’ll be polite but refuse to show the stamp.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If the RSO has a problem with it, just be polite and do what he says. I’ve seen quite a few guys argue and of course get no where. It might be their ridiculous opinion but they are the boss at that moment. Same with rapid firing. I know I can handle not shooting the wall, target hanger, bench, etc, but they don’t. Got to imagine how many goofballs come through and act stupid.
    As for the NFA items, unless I was just shown a badge, I’ll be polite but refuse to show the stamp.

I agree with your points, but it's not helpful to what the OP is asking.

Bottom line - they won't have an issue. Rapid firing is another story, but those are directly from listed range rules. Unless there is some specific range rule saying you cannot shoulder arm braces, then shoulder away.

Can you imagine being an RSO and having someone come and show you their receipt or ask about extending an arm brace? That would undoubtedly be a confusing interaction.

OP, fire away, shouldered, braced, whatever, so long as you are following safe gun handling and all range rules, the RSO will not care what you do. I've never been asked for my stamps for my SBR or my suppressor, both of which are often together on the same rifle.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you so very much !! you guys are great. Now I can enjoy my new AR pistol That is the coolest thing I ever brought.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I was at AGC 2 years back with 9mm AR pistol, and some Karen-dude called the RSO on me. RSO asked permission to handle it and explained I had a pistol buffer and it was fine.

And why is this thread in the rifle section?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Just make sure the range has a backstop capable of stopping the ammo your pistol is using. Some indoor pistol ranges can only handle pistol caliber weapons and .223/5.56 may not be allowed.
    It is easy to confirm this with the range before making a trip and being disappointed.

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    Just make sure the range has a backstop capable of stopping the ammo your pistol is using. Some indoor pistol ranges can only handle pistol caliber weapons and .223/5.56 may not be allowed.
    It is easy to confirm this with the range before making a trip and being disappointed.

+1

Several ranges that I have been to restrict what is fired on their pistol ranges for exactly that reason.

- RightD

Car

Apr 3, 2020
    Being a newbie I have bought lots of rounds of IMI Ammunition 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain M855 SS109 Penetrator Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail. Would that be a problem to shoot M855 ammo at most ranges?

dweaver

Jun 8, 2013
    Washington Co. MD
    Being a newbie I have bought lots of rounds of IMI Ammunition 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain M855 SS109 Penetrator Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail. Would that be a problem to shoot M855 ammo at most ranges?

It really all depends on the individual range. Most ranges I have shot at do not allow M855, although, I’m aware that some others do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Huh

I was at AGC 2 years back with 9mm AR pistol, and some Karen-dude called the RSO on me. RSO asked permission to handle it and explained I had a pistol buffer and it was fine.

And why is this thread in the rifle section?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Why would the buffer matter?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Your question is a good one and the answer is that it really depends on the rules of the range that you are at.

For example, at the AGC, the range rules specifically denote that you are responsible for following all State and Federal laws/regulations. It is unlikely that you will be questioned about anything unless you are in clear violation of this rule.

Another rule at the AGC says that you may NOT shoot an AR style pistol on the Pistol Range, however you are permitted to do so on the rifle range. Some may want to argue this rule, however there is a very good reason for it. It has nothing to do with Federal/State regulations, but rather that the backing on the staging tables (picture a backsplash on a preformed countertop) makes it impossible to keep the muzzle, on longer guns, pointed down range when they are laid down for a cease fire or any other reason.

Your best bet is to be conscientious and to courteously double check with the RSO on duty if you are unsure of the rules. Just by asking for this clarification, the RSO now knows that you give you shit and that alone can help them to focus on someone else instead of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom