• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    I got my wife a stainless S&W 686+ with a 4" barrel for Christmas a few years ago. She prefers .38+P over .357. But even with .357, the overall weight and balance of the gun is still manageable in her hands.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Going thru old issues of GUN TESTS looking for an article for the gent who wanted a .357 for his wife as i recalled an article about used revolvers and their ratings. These are used revolvers and their june 2017 ratings:
    SW M 649 .357 2.125” barrel A
    Colt lawman mk III .357 4” B ( heavy trigger, small sights)
    Ruger security six .357 4” B+ ( good sights, bulky )

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I was surprised it took so long for someone to recommend a GP100 over an SP101. While women in general gravitate toward smaller handguns, the GP100 is usually less punishing to shoot....especially with +P or 357 ammo. It also holds an additional round over the SP101.
    The three guns I would recommend are the S&W 686, the 13/19/65/66 and the Ruger Security-Six. I wouldn't recommend the Colt firearms, particularly the Python. Why? Because they more properly belong in safes. If you use one in self defense, it'll end up in a plastic bag in an evidence room for heaven knows how long.

The other revolver that many people like is the Smith 686 L frame. I won't take exception though to people who recommend K frames like the Smith model 19 or the model 13.
    I love the 686 and believe it's the *BEST* production .357 ever made, depending on what you want. It shoots 158gr and 125gr equally well and comes with a smooth trigger/action.

Also, snubbies tend to maximize recoil and muzzle blast which isn't exactly conducive to proficiency. 4 to 6 inch barrels tend to be easier to handle and also give you a bit extra velocity....especially with the .357.
    Agreed. If one can find a S&W 13/65 or a 19/66 that is in excellent condition, get if the price is right, and you'll have an excellent find. The Ruger Security-Six was produced for years and no one complained of recoil or blast. It was designed from the ground up to be a .357 magnum, and they have a superior balance over the GP-100. Just my two cents.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    The Ruger Security-Six was produced for years and no one complained of recoil or blast. It was designed from the ground up to be a .357 magnum, and they have a superior balance over the GP-100. Just my two cents.

Agreed.
    Same size(ish) as a k-frame, but can handle hotter loads much better.

Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian
    I really like this:

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

It is a small frame, so little and/or feminine hands can handle it, but, somehow, my fat paws can too. :shrug: It's got good sights and a 4.2 inch barrel, so you can have some accuracy at the range, too. It's heavy enough to soak up enough recoil for .38sp to be pleasant to shoot, but you always have the option of .357 if things get serious. Being Ruger, it should last for generations.

The only downside is 5 round capacity. They do make a 6 shot version in .327...but you lose some ammo versatility.
    I just bought a GP100, Model 1704

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1704.html

1704.jpg

Waiting for the red tape to complete before taking possession. Looking forward to shooting it...

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I got my wife a stainless S&W 686+ with a 4" barrel for Christmas a few years ago. She prefers .38+P over .357. But even with .357, the overall weight and balance of the gun is still manageable in her hands.
    It's very difficult to find a bad .357 stainless steel Ruger or S&W revolvers. Even butt-ugly guns tend to be good shooters. Me, I like the second generation revolvers, particularly the Security-Six (pictured here, unloaded, in the lap of Sarah Conner in Terminator.)

And can you dig this 3-inch Speed-Six! It started out as a .38Spc, but Sandy Garrett, in Fairfax, reamed out the chambers to .357. This is my favorite "go to" revolver for going cross country (especially if I were David Mann), and was my choice for having a revolver in my glove box in the movie Duel.

Agreed.
    Same size(ish) as a k-frame, but can handle hotter loads much better.

Yep, the Ruger Security-Six and other "Sixes" were designed from the ground up to be .357es. The same wasn't true of the S&W K-frames.

--

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It's very difficult to find a bad .357 stainless steel Ruger or S&W revolvers. Even butt-ugly guns tend to be good shooters. Me, I like the second generation revolvers, particularly the Security-Six (pictured here, unloaded, in the lap of Sarah Conner in Terminator.)

And can you dig this 3-inch Speed-Six! It started out as a .38Spc, but Sandy Garrett, in Fairfax, reamed out the chambers to .357. This is my favorite "go to" revolver for going cross country (especially if I were David Mann), and was my choice for having a revolver in my glove box in the movie Duel.

--

Millett sights on the Security Six

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    +1 on the GP100 recommendations. There is also the 8 shot Ruger Redhawk. It is heavier, but .38spl+P HD rounds out of it recoil about as much as a .22lr.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Ruger Six series revolvers are built like a tank, I have a nice blued 6" .357, that I've had since the late 80's and picked up a very nice Stainless 6" .357, from a member here this past spring.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    So I am looking for a 357 revolver. Nothing fancy just home protection for the wife. She is scared of the slide on my 9MMS but loves shooting my single six. I figure a good 357 would work. I know nothing about revolvers but looking for a decent recommendation. Also should I consider a used gun? Not looking to buy anytime soon with all this panic buying.
    I would recommend a used Colt Trooper Mark III DA in .22 magnum to start. As her proficiency and confidence evolve, end up with .357 mag.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would recommend a used Colt Trooper Mark III DA in .22 magnum to start. As her proficiency and confidence evolve, end up with .357 mag.

Nonsense.
    Shoot 38s out of the 357 for practice. There are MANY successful self defense shoots with untrained people on large guns. Self defense distance inside a dwelling is minimal.

What is lacking is the will to actually use it. That cannot be trained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom