• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I used to have a home on the Northern Neck of VA in Reedville where I could put my canoe in on Rock Creek in Kensington and could have canoed down to the Potomac,
    down into the bay, hang a right on the Great Wicomico and gotten to the old house. That would be a major bug out.
    We sold that house, so now it's Bug In! You still need a hand pump water purifier.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a small get home bag in each car. Even though I don't "plan" to bug out, I have a couple bug out bags ready. Imagine if you have to defend your home from people trying to steal your resources, and either fail, or you kill or injure one of their party. I see people trying to burn others out of their homes purely out of spite or revenge. I have a bunch of fire extinguishers, but should I have to move the family, my bags contain containers for water, some ration bars and power bars, survival knives, compasses, matches and small lighters, medical supplies, life straws, small antique pistols with ammo, mylar thermal blankets, flashlights with extra batteries and bulbs, and more I can't remember now.

IF I have to bug out, I am going to my dad's house in Gamber or maybe out to western MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are circumstances where you cannot bug in.

Wild fires. Floods. Major hurricane damage to your house.

So having a kit to keep you going a few days is a good idea. Not that you will likely be walking out.

LiveSteamer

Mar 22, 2020
    The Republic of Texas
    I live semi rural in the central Texas Hill Country. My plan is to bug in and I have made preparations to do so. I keep get home bags in my vehicles. I also have a minimal get home bag vacuum packed in plastic that I keep in a cargo pocket in my daily wear and thankfully in Texas I can easily make carrying firearms part of my daily EDC. I am fairly secure from hurricanes (100 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico), tornadoes (the hills break them up), blizzards (it's central Texas, we never have more snow than about a half inch every few years), and floods (l live on top of one of those Hill Country hills). My concerns that would cause me to leave my home are wildfires (I am surrounded by woodlands) and attacks by human predators. Therefore, I do have a bug out bag which simply arguments the get home bags with more gear and supplies for a longer stay away from home. If I have to bug out I hope to do it in my pickup truck that has a camper shell and use that as my mobile home away from home.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I keep a bag in my vehicle but I definitely consider it a "get home" bag. Also now keep my search and rescue bag in my trunk, so truth of the matter is, I have more gear than I can carry in a "get home" situation... but if you ever get stuck in a car with me when the world comes to an end, I can hook you up.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I put together bug out bags for me and my Mrs some years back. She is a physical therapist in Balto and is now my ex. They are short on masks, and it just dawned on her that she has some in her bag. She texted me asking if she could have two of mine. They are not even n95. My son stays with each parent half time, so helping her helps us.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I keep a bag in my vehicle but I definitely consider it a "get home" bag. Also now keep my search and rescue bag in my trunk, so truth of the matter is, I have more gear than I can carry in a "get home" situation... but if you ever get stuck in a car with me when the world comes to an end, I can hook you up.

You can always leave the house at your leisure to go to the car to get something out of your load out.
    Unless you have that load out near whatever exit of your house, you're probably not going to be able to pack it all as you leave your house in a dire emergency. There's no making 2 or 3 trips into a burning house or crumbled one.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Anyone planning to Bug Out across state lines may want to rethink their route. We see reports of both Delaware and West Virginia stopping out of state cars and turning them around which you can expect to be much more common in a major disaster.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I keep my BOB prepped regardless. One of the things it contains is an up-to-date list of vacant foreclosures in the more remote reaches of WV.

In terms of how to get there, the five-oh are patrolling major entrances and exits, but the mountain passes between VA and MD and WV are just too numerous for them to patrol them all. You can cross state lines to the promised land if you're smart about it. From there, if we're in a true emergency survival situation, there's enough deer, fish, bear, rabbits, grouse, squirrels, poke weed, ramps, sassafras saplings, pawpaws, etc. to flesh out bulk staples like flour, corn meal, and rice. Seed packs get replaced in my BOB every year as well.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    My thinking is that I'm not going far on foot, so there is no point even considering that. Roads may be blocked, so what makes the most sense for compact transportation.
    Moped, bicycle, or something like a Onewheel. That extends my range to 10-20 miles.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Walk across the line. Steal a license plate, walk back, drive over. :D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That’s hardcore

Never know when you commandeer those 50 acres from someone with your Henry .22 survival rifle.

On no you di’in’t.

LOL,

Not hardcore in the least. I just keep the basics to make sure that if it's protracted, I don't "rabbit starve."

Bug out kit includes water purification, gas mask with 3 8hr NBC filters, trenching/digging tool, seed packs, water carriers (personal and collapsible bulk) First aid supplies, tent, esbit stove and tabs, 3 days of food, mess kit, hunting gear, paper atlas, list of vacant foreclosures from my buddy, camp ax.

If it's ever serious enough that I have to hoof it to the hills of WV, that ought to get me a head start. It's really not much, but the idea is to get remote, find a roof to put over my head. I have ammo cans I keep prepped mags in, and have the ideal survival guns at the front of the safe. Only thing I don't keep handy is my chainsaw, but it's in the shed, so easy enough to grab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom