• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rac74

Si vis pacem,para bellum
    May 27, 2009
    Occupied Carroll County
    Looking for opinions on weather to de-prime first or clean (ultrasonic) first. Logically wouldn't depriming first help with cleaning the pocket out? I have a die that deprimes and sizes the case.....thanks for any imput.....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Cleaning/polishing performs a few functions, to prevent scoring your dies or chamber, to remove case lube, to ensure reliable feeding, and to load ammo that has the appearance of factory ammo. However cleaning itself is largely considered an "optional" step, dirty cases will load and function, but can shorten the life of dies, cause feeding problems, and just don't look good.

For this reason, cases have to be cleaned before they enter a die, and with a sizing/decapping combo die this means cleaning before decapping, if only a 30min rough cleaning in a tumbler to get most of the fouling off of them. If the cleaned brass is then lubed and sized, I put it back in the tumbler for a couple hours to clean off the lube, and polish it up in preparation for loading.

Handgun calibers with carbide dies get a couple hours for their first cleaning before sizing/decapping, being there is no need for lube, this will be the only polishing/cleaning step for them.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Cleaning/polishing performs a few functions, to prevent scoring your dies or chamber, to remove case lube, to ensure reliable feeding, and to load ammo that has the appearance of factory ammo. However cleaning itself is largely considered an "optional" step, dirty cases will load and function, but can shorten the life of dies, cause feeding problems, and just don't look good.

For this reason, cases have to be cleaned before they enter a die, and with a sizing/decapping combo die this means cleaning before decapping, if only a 30min rough cleaning in a tumbler to get most of the fouling off of them. If the cleaned brass is then lubed and sized, I put it back in the tumbler for a couple hours to clean off the lube, and polish it up in preparation for loading.

Handgun calibers with carbide dies get a couple hours for their first cleaning before sizing/decapping, being there is no need for lube, this will be the only polishing/cleaning step for them.

Thats exactly how I do it.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    I also do the grunge clean before de-capping and another after to clean off all traces of lube. (I then check case length. Easier to trim a clean case after resizing)

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I tumbled some brass after it had been deprimed because I didn't leave it in very long the first time and wanted it cleaner. I spent a lot of extra time poking media out of the flash holes. :mad54: That was the last time that will ever happen.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or if one is so motivated, get a Univeral decapper (decaps only), and then clean.
    Or I usually don't obsess over prrimer pocket cleaning. If I do feel the need, I'll use a primer pocket cleaning tool instead of dealing with media stuck in flash holes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Or if one is so motivated, get a Univeral decapper (decaps only), and then clean.
    Or I usually don't obsess over prrimer pocket cleaning. If I do feel the need, I'll use a primer pocket cleaning tool instead of dealing with media stuck in flash holes.

One tip if loading with a progressive press is to use a universal decapper in the first position after lubing/sizing/tumbling. It pushes out any media stuck in the flash hole. Being I don't want my finished rounds to have lube all over them, I size on a single stage any time there is lube involved, so the brass can be cleaned afterwards.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Any opinions on that new ultrasonice case cleaner from Hornady? At $100, it looks pretty affordable, especially if it is doing a better job than a normal tumbler. Also, you can drop a gun parts (e.g. BCG) in there for cleaning as well...

rac74

Si vis pacem,para bellum
    May 27, 2009
    Occupied Carroll County
    Any opinions on that new ultrasonice case cleaner from Hornady? At $100, it looks pretty affordable, especially if it is doing a better job than a normal tumbler. Also, you can drop a gun parts (e.g. BCG) in there for cleaning as well...

Don't know about Hornady, but I just cleaned 200 rounds of .308 WIN with a Harbor Freight 2.5L 160 watt ultrasonic cleaner ( plus heat) with good results using a combination of White vinegar and dish soap. Price $59.99 on sale till end of March.

Cowboy T

Looking for opinions on weather to de-prime first or clean (ultrasonic) first. Logically wouldn't depriming first help with cleaning the pocket out? I have a die that deprimes and sizes the case.....thanks for any imput.....

I used to think so, too, until I tried it. Like Herr Baer, I ended up w/ a bunch of shells w/ corn cob grains in the flash holes. And my primer pockets were no cleaner. Maybe if you use super-fine-ground media, that might be better, but unless you're doing super-accurate bench rest competition, don't bother.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I also do the grunge clean before de-capping and another after to clean off all traces of lube. (I then check case length. Easier to trim a clean case after resizing)

Correct me if I am wrong. But I thought the trimming must be done AFTER sizing. You don't have a choice. The resizing process squeezes the case diameter smaller and causes the case to lengthen at the same time. What say you experts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom