• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    I am looking into adding a .45 to my collection and I would really like to add a CZ. I am thinking the 97BD or the 1911. If anyone out there has shot both and can offer feedback regarding the differences between the two, I would greatly appreciate it! Of course, if you think I should add a 3rd candidate to my list, please advise.

I am sure a dozen people will ring in, "buy both". However, that is not really possible for me right now, but would be interested in the future!

Thanks!

Sorry, 97 not 87... edited, but can't figure out how to edit the title...

Last edited:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    One's a CZ, the other's a 1911 - a Dan Wesson one at that. If you actually want a CZ, I'd get the 97. If you want a 1911, Dan Wesson makes some under their own brand that are shinier.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The 97 is a double-stack, and with some parts from CZ Customs, can have a trigger pull almost as good as a very tuned 1911. You're going to run into some problems getting new magazines with the 97, unless you don't mind 10 round mags, which defeats the purpose of a double-stack pistol. One more thing to consider, the Tangfolio Witness is basically the same gun as the 97, and you can switch out uppers and magazines to get a 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm pistol.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I am looking into adding a .45 to my collection and I would really like to add a CZ. I am thinking the 97BD or the 1911. If anyone out there has shot both and can offer feedback regarding the differences between the two, I would greatly appreciate it! Of course, if you think I should add a 3rd candidate to my list, please advise.

I am sure a dozen people will ring in, "buy both". However, that is not really possible for me right now, but would be interested in the future!

Thanks!

Sorry, 97 not 87... edited, but can't figure out how to edit the title...
    2A Sales has both 97 B's & 97 BD's in stock.
    You're going to run into some problems getting new magazines with the 97, unless you don't mind 10 round mags, which defeats the purpose of a double-stack pistol.
    Standard capacity for a 97 is 10rd's. Mags are not difficult to get at all. I belive 2A Sales has some in stock right now.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They're very different guns. The CZ97BD has a modified BHP-style action (it can do DA, which the BHP can't), a decocker lever (no thumb safety), and utilizes double stack-mags. The 1911 is single-action-only, has a traditional thumb safety (no decocker), and is single-stack.

Personally, I think the CZ97 is the better gun. Jim is correct that you should also investigate the EAA Witness line (nee Tanfoglio Combat/Force) - more gun for your buck.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have 1911's and had a Witness pistol. I couldn't warm up to the reach needed for the thumb safety (decocker on 97, correct). I had no problem with not using the safety, hammer down and shooting DA on the first shot. It was a stretch for the mag release as well.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    Thanks everyone, looks like I am leaning toward the 97BD, since it will be a backup HD weapon, I think it wins due to the larger mag cap of the double stack. However... now, of course, I will spend countless hours researching the EAA Witness Tanfoglios... :)

The 97BD, I will likely purchase from 2A Sales, I have been a happy customer of theirs in the past and would gladly give them my repeat business. Of course, last time I walked in there, my intent was to purchase a CZ 75 and I walked out with a Sig 226. :)

Anyone know a good LGS near MoCo, HoCo, or Fred Co that I could put my hands on and really check EAA lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom