• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Okay, so I want to get my 5 year old his first fishing rod & reel for Christmas. My all-time favorite back in the day was the Zebco 33. I actually still have that one (now 35 years old), and it works great. I need a second spincast rod & reel. Don't want to confuse him by using different type reels just yet.

We'd be doing shore fishing in freshwater, mostly sunfish, bluegill, crappie. Any recommendations for spincast rod & reel? Thanks

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If he hasnt used a rod/reel before then go with the zebco. As he gets older introduce him to the open caster. He may not like fishing that much or he may love it. Best thing is to get him to catch something.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you want something small that works pretty well, get the Shakespeare backpacker rod/reel combo kit. It's great for someone his size. They make a spinner version and a a push-button bait caster type that is a little easier for kids to handle. I used one of these for four years on backpacking trips. The reel eventually got gunked up from me using it in salt water too many times without maintaining it, but that's on me.

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-T...461308&sr=1-1&keywords=shakespeare+travel+rod

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Thanks all for your suggestions! And, I definitely need to get him to hook one on the first time out if at all possible.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you're going to be in salt or brackish water, try Fish Bites. I recently started using those synthetic blood worms and they're amazing. Croakers, perch and catfish all go crazy for them.

mdglock

Aug 4, 2011
    29xc1ox.jpg

Ardent Fishouflage. $24.99 I think Dick's Sporting Goods is about to stock them but you can call Ardent direct and ship to you. 660 395 9200 Ask for Brenda. They also have a bunch of Crappie baits called Krappie Kings, too.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Ardent Fishouflage. $24.99 I think Dick's Sporting Goods is about to stock them but you can call Ardent direct and ship to you. 660 395 9200 Ask for Brenda. They also have a bunch of Crappie baits called Krappie Kings, too.

They also have some things his Daddy definitely wants to check out. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom